Campagnolo EPS V3 here

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Valbrona wrote:
solarider wrote:I was an EPS early adopter (stupidly as it now turns out). I have been rewarded for this with 3 incarnations in 4 years. Should have gone Shimano from the start. Doh!

This looks good, but should have been V2, not V3. They really should never have expected people to drill a now redundant charger hole in their frames, or spec'd an additional charger hole in a new frame. With eTap, it looks like any shifter holes will soon be redundant anyway.

I don't see this as a leap ahead as much as a catchup.

Spot-on.

Mr Campagnolo is really good at pissing around his customers. After a while it gets very tiresome and customers become alienated.

Just as Shimano are. 7970 was made obsolete when E-tube was introduced, 10 speed wheels made unless on the introduction of 11 speed, retro compatibility on Ultegra Di2 removed with updates.

Want to service that old 10 speed Dura Ace STI? Tough, you couldn't do it when they were current and sure as hell can't now. Conversely you can still get most spares for 10 speed and even 8/9 speed ergo levers. Not only can you get them but they are also cheap. Same applies to hubs & mechs.

Funnily enough, I am using 15 year old 9 speed wheels with EPS! Not pissed off in the slightest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I don't think either campy or shimano are going to go against the grain when it comes to the speedy obsolescence of electronics. I know a guy who got Di2 early on. Loved it. Till it went kaput and left him stranded. Then came to find out he couldn't even get a compatible new part for it. Went back to Mechanical instead of "upgrading" everything he needed in order to be compatible and current.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rmerka

by rmerka

How could it leave you stranded? It doesn't lock up your pedals if it fails to shift (which it's never done on me, ever). Breaking a cable would be worse.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, not literally stranded but unable to shift with a good amount of varying terrain to travel. And people like to use the broken cable as an analogy and it's true, a broken cable would result in the same situation. The difference being that a cable that is in such poor condition that it might break on a ride is something that can be seen with a simple inspection and should have been caught and taken care of long before it breaks. No excuse for that. There's no such warning (fraying etc) however with an electric current. It just stops. Hopefully a very rare occurrence but not unheard of.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zoose

by Zoose

I'd compare seeing warning signs on a cable such as fraying to seeing the flashing red light when you push a button on your junction box with di2. It's simply a matter of having to try and neglect looking. I think at this point both mech and electronic shift so well it comes down to personal preference. I like the technology in electronic shifting and also the ability to have consistent shifts every time, with no exceptions. I also have buddies who think of their bicycle as a mechanical device and enjoy the feeling on setting up their bike and knowing that they are ultimately responsible for every shift.

On topic, I do agree that for Campy this is more catching up than leaving behind. That said, I am hoping they and Shimano stick with changing things in a manner that upgrading does not require entirely new everything (7970 is an exception as 6770 has the ability to slowly upgrade to the 11 speed variants). This just seems like a way to alienate customers and push them to try other brands.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I might be a strange guy. I don't feel alienated either by Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo.

With 7970, there are still rear mechs on eBay and stocked by many distributors. RD was the bit that failed, and it is true that it costs a good pack of money, but there is still a solution to keep the system running.

With EPS the only problem is if you want to have the latest iteration. But the first one was already extremely good. The task of shifting gears hasn't improved on V2 and V3, among other things because it is exceptional already on V1. Campagnolo still sells every little bit you'll need to keep your V1 running.

Then the problem lies on trying to have the latest stuff all the time. That costs money, but also with mechanical components. I still ride a 1997 BH with aluminium frame and Campagnolo Veloce 9S. It just works and all the rest of my stable could be skipped if I needed to cash in my bike "investments". Why am I upgrading my EPS bikes to V3? Because I love cycling technology, enjoy having the latest even knowing I'm often paying the early adopter tax, and I'm frugal in other aspects of life.

Now that the shifting technology is in the realm of digital technology, we can only expect a speed up of improvements. Luckily Campagnolo and Shimano have already systems that can be updated, and Campag one that works with standard Ant+ and can be programmed by a mobile app. It looks like the electronic side of the hardware will remain stable for some years now.

Relax, ride and enjoy.

ronderman

by ronderman

solarider wrote:I was an EPS early adopter (stupidly as it now turns out). I have been rewarded for this with 3 incarnations in 4 years. Should have gone Shimano from the start. Doh!

This looks good, but should have been V2, not V3. They really should never have expected people to drill a now redundant charger hole in their frames, or spec'd an additional charger hole in a new frame. With eTap, it looks like any shifter holes will soon be redundant anyway.

I don't see this as a leap ahead as much as a catchup.

what????? As opposed to shimano's first iteration which was 10 speed. Come on, buddy. As for me, I'm still rocking version 1 of EPS and totally happy - maybe I will upgrade to version 3 now.

howto

by howto

damn just bought a new v2 powerunit yesterday after my first PU where broken after 6 months

jcastillo

by jcastillo

campy user for 25 years, just had my first electronic experience with super record v2 on a new bike I built. Charging port was a bit of challenge since i did not want to drill hole, but hey campy is campy, v3 solves that, which was the next obvious step, but I am not going to upgrade. EPS seems very very robust. Somehow I did not mind paying 70 dollars for the cable disconnect tool. If you are a campy lover, you don't mind.....great stuff

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

howto wrote:damn just bought a new v2 powerunit yesterday after my first PU where broken after 6 months

Why is that a problem? The V3 interface is compatible with it.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

To reply to a few of the negative comments around EPS above ... and acknowledging that I have a built-in bias ...

Just because Shimano did it. doesn't necessarily make it right, but Shimano also made two totally non-compatible iterations of Di2 - Dura Ace 10s Di2, then the e-tube variants - and also did an internal battery after the external - so for Campagnolo to have actually only ever made two basic versions, and retained almost full reverse compatibility, is not really "pissing the customers around" if looked at in the context of the competition.

On v2 charger ports - the charger port in many cases does not need to be an additional drilling:
In frames originally made for external battery frames (Campagnolo or Shimano), you already have a port drilled - the one where the cable bundle previously entered the frame. That can be used.
In frames made later that retained external battery bosses, one of the bosses can be removed and that port used.

We've fitted a lot of v2 using these two methods, perfectly successfully.

Because Campagnolo wanted to retain a shared data / charge port (as they wanted to keep options open for software manipulation), that to some extend dictated what they did with the interface unit and incorporation of the charger port there. Battery choices and patents precluded using micro USB, unfortunately.

In terms of reverse compatibility, almost full reverse compatibility exists in EPS - OK, early v1 PUs won't recognise 2015 front derailleurs or the 5-lead TT interface but apart from that, all parts are reverse compatible and all parts that need to be are still available from the factory, rather than having to trawl e-bay or find a shop or distributor with old stock as one has to with early Shimano Di2. Got Athena and broken something? OK, Chorus has the same plug system. Got Record v1 and want to retrofit to v2 or v3? PU, Interface and charger needed - all else is compatible. With the caveats given, all software versions degrade gracefully ... not so all of the competition.

Wireless - this is very much swings and roundabouts.
A wired connection is secure and can be made highly water resistant, but assembly can take some time (although in most cases it's pretty quick. In 95% of the builds I have done - and as a SC we have done quite a few as well as re-doing some badly bodged ones, in some cases from scratch - we are cabled up in 10 minutes max).
A wireless connection scores because the way that SRAM have tacked it, it can be lighter and doesn't require running cables through the frame but there are 4 potential points of failure in the software, the hardware and in terms of charge.

Assembly is basically a one-time only job as for all but to contrast SRAM with both Campag and Shimano, in their respective cases, any external part of the system can be plugged to a loom that stays in the frame - so the main advantage of wireless in that respect from a user point of view is a frame with fewer ports in it.

The wireless system batteries can be, using SRAMs patents, smaller and lighter than a centrally-powered system and there is no weight of a wiring loom - that is true - however since most of the bike manufacturers are catering to the UCI weight limit at present, not making in order to produce bikes of absolute lightness, (and yes I am aware this is "WeightWeenies"), weight reduction past a certain point becomes of less value - I have a v2 Super Record system on a 55cm standard v1 Bianchi Oltre which with race wheels in tips the scales at 6.8 kg, without having to "try" on the weight saving. There's probably 3 or 4 kgs that can easily come off me before I have to worry about shaving the grammes off the bike, anyway.

Where the weight savings in a wireless shift system may matter more in the future is if disc braking gathers momentum as the braking system, at least currently, inherently adds weight to the complete bike, so saving weight in the transmission is useful, it has to be admitted.

What it is fair to say is that with ANT compatibility and a free-at-point-of-delivery App, Campagnolo have significantly raised the stakes in terms of the ability to customise and control shifting without the need for any other hardware (except, arguably, some will need to buy an iOS or Android device to run the App). The customisation options are quite radical and cater to riders with very particular requirements, too, so starting to really explore some of the potential advantages of electronic, without having to learn a whole new logic in shifting ...

It could be argued that this comes at the cost of upgrading to v3 but it's important only if you want or need it - as others have pointed out, all the functionality that probably 95% of users need was already built into EPS v1 anyway.

I guess the last question is why we feel the need for manufacturers to upgrade year-on-year and why upgrades have to be radical - if a system is basically right for it's time - EPS v1, already 11s, using existing wheel, cassette, and chain technology, already offering single or multiple shifts, by design extremely weather resistant, already as crash-resistant as practical, already with on-board diagnostic function - then it's natural that what follows will be incremental change.

On the mechanical side, too, it's worth saying that Revolution Plus is the first compatibility change in Campag 11s since MY2009 - so a six-season lifespan on parts and still full factory availability of the superceded components - again, hardly something to piss customers off ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

howto

by howto

Why is that a problem? The V3 interface is compatible with it.

cause there is also a new PU, which will fit in my seat tube.

solarider

by solarider

Thanks Graeme. Always value your input.

My problem is that having upgraded V1 to V2 on 3 bikes (because I wanted the aesthetics of a concealed battery), and having persevered with a sub-optimal charging method ever since (wedging the charging port inside a piece of sponge in my seatpost and removing the seatpost when it needs charging), to benefit from a more accessible charging method I now need to invest in another 3 new batteries, 3 new interfaces and yet another new charger for a system that should have been built that way for V2.

Electronic compatible frames haven't come with external battery mounts for quite a while now, so no option there, and many have taken the (now vindicated) view that drilling and reinforcing an extra charging hole for EPS which would logically become quickly outdated was not worthwhile.

I appreciate that Dura Ace moved from 10 to 11 speed, but it did so in 2 iterations, not 3, and maintained each iteration for longer than Campagnolo have. And it enabled people to sell entire groupsets to fund the new version. Try selling just a V1 or V2 battery and charger......

I appreciate that the rest of the system and the peripheral compatability has remained constant throughout the EPS iterations. Don't get me wrong, I am lifelong Campagnolo user, and love EPS. I just feel that as an early adopter, V2 was always a compromise, and as I am sure that they were working on V3 even as V2 launched, then maybe they should have waited. Why didn't they? Because despite the fact that V1 was and is so good, an internal battery is now seen as a must-have. And who set that trend? The big S (well, OK maybe Calfee!). Who led the way with e-tube? The big S.

I also appreciate that nobody has to change, but if your spend enough on your hobby as most people that run EPS, and if you are as passionate about Campagnolo as most users are, of course you are going to want the latest version!

The benefit to me of V3 is entirely the charging ease. I like the way it works out of the box and don't need to tinker.

So, what do we need? Battery, interface and charger or just a new interface? I guess all 3 since the V2 battery has 2 inputs (1 for power and 1 for data). From the picture, the charger maybe looks the same (please!).

How will the new battery fit inside the frame? Interference fit, or bolted to the back of the bottle bosses? Whilst it was a pain to fit (and involved the purchase of the most expensive piece of threaded steel rod ever known!), V2 is certainly robust once in place.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

To think that more than a decade ago Mavic introduced wireless shifting with batteries located at the derailleurs is quite remarkable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It is. But Mavic's system actually used the energy in the chain to shift gears.

In their Mektronik system the batteries powered only a solenoid that opened a gate for a notched rod that spun solidarily with the upper pulley to move transversally, hence moving all the pulley cage with it. There was a solenoid for upshifts and one for downshifts. And no electronic front derailleur.

The flaw was how slow the system was. The first wired iteration called ZMS was quite OK, I personally loved it. Not so much the wireless as sometimes having to do an emergency shifting was very frustrating.