Campagnolo EPS V3 here

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roadhog44

by roadhog44

"The changes in V3 are limited to Record and Super Record – the Chorus EPS groupset uses different technology"

:?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/campagnolo-eps-gets-wireless-connectivity-189354

Hmmmm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

karmaz

by karmaz

roadhog44 wrote:"The changes in V3 are limited to Record and Super Record – the Chorus EPS groupset uses different technology"

:?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/campagnolo-eps-gets-wireless-connectivity-189354

Hmmmm

On one hand it's :D coz I bought my Chorus EPS 2 months ago, but one the other it's :cry: because I would love to ditch the charging plug sticking out of my bb..
Not to mention I would also love the ant+/btle support...

I guess we'll get a watered down version in 2 years or so...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Different connectors. That's all.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Is there any way to wire up EPS with a concealed battery to work with older frames? I am considering it for my Colnago Extreme Power if there's a clean place to put the battery.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

solarider

by solarider

You can conceal the battery, but other than external wiring, you will need to somehow drill 3 holes. 1 for the shifter control wire (usually somewhere near the current shifter boss), 1 for the front mech and 1 for the rear mech.

Or wait for eTap.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

That's what I figured. I drilled holes into my Cervelo, but I won't be drilling the Colnago.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

reippuert

by reippuert

On the mechanical side, too, it's worth saying that Revolution Plus is the first compatibility change in Campag 11s since MY2009 - so a six-season lifespan on parts and still full factory availability of the superceded components - again, hardly something to piss customers off ...

backward compatibility is still impressive though. You can still use your 1997 rear hub with your new 11 speed casette; 2015 brake blocks with your 2004 calipers; and swap freewheel bodies,hub bearings and axels with your 1999 hubs.

Reg mecanical 2015 Revolution - The performance is impressive, i'd say that the gap between 2014 11-speed and 2015 Revolution 11-speed is bigger than 1997 9-speed and 2014 11-speed.

I just bought a new 2015 Chorus grupset with 50/34-11/29 (excluding calipers). It replaces a nice setup that i clould have continued with for years if i had replaced the left side BB bearing and the small chainring: 2007 Chorus 10-speed Ergo's, 2007 Chorus Ultratorque, 2009 Record front-mech, 2009 Chorus rear-mech, centaur 2014 10-speed(s) chain, 2014 centaur 12-30 casette / 2008 Record full-ti 11-23 casette.

My only complain is that its all black - IMHO aluminum parts should be shiny like pre-2011 Campagnolo.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Athena still offers the sun gleaming polished and anodised version :D

It is pretty amusing when you just throw a 11s cassette into a late 1996 Record hub laced to a Mavic Open Pro and it works on your EPS Record.

reippuert

by reippuert

XCProMD wrote:Athena still offers the sun gleaming polished and anodised version :D

no can do, though it looks nicer - Powertorque/Overtorque is a flawed solution to a non-existing problem. Ultratorque is supirior and simple plus easy to install and maintain.
Secondly i dont like the Shimano derived limitations when downshifting the cassette on sub-Chorus Ergo's. I want to be able to drop 3-4-5-6 cogs at will like on the original 8-speed Ergo's.

I could kill for a Ultra torque tripple crank for my loaded touring adventures - unfortunatly Campagnolo only has a Power torque tripple crank.

XCProMD wrote:It is pretty amusing when you just throw a 11s cassette into a late 1996 Record hub laced to a Mavic Open Pro and it works on your EPS Record.

Yes... At least Shimano and SRAM (partialy) got it right when they introduced 11-speed (5years after Campagnolo)

Or:
1999 Record OS rear hub
2014 Centaur 10-speed 12-30 casette
2014 Centaur 10-speed chain
2000 Record crank with original 10-speed EPS chainrings.
1988 Athena front/rear mech (Record-C generation)
1976 Simplex retrofriction down tube shifters

-and it out performs anything mechanical except Camopagnolo 2015 revolution - even front shifting and copeing with the 30t sprocket and the total of 32 teeth without effort + i can shift across the entire casette in ONE movement.

That will be the setup on my Koga-Miyata Full Pro 1988 steel rig for L'Eroica on october 4th :-)

Regarding the non-indexed downtube shifting your body will learn it after a day or two, IMHO modern brifters and indexed gear is overrated. Whenever i have ridden the Koga for more than two days and i switch back to my titanium rig with 2015 revolution i always spend the first half hour with my hands on the downtube when i want to change gear.
By far the biggest advances in shifting in the last 30 years is NOT indexed shifting, electronics or brifters - its all about chains, chainrings, cogs and cables.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I remember very well the rants on this very forum when Campagnolo went 11. "They lost the plot long ago" "a silly reaction to being pushed out of the market" ""campy" (sic.) is done", etc.

Today almost everyone is on 11 gears, and Campagnolo is doing fine as usual.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Here are the new V3 battery specs from the Campagnolo website:

http://www.campagnolo.com/CA/en/Compone ... dti_eps_v3

FEATURES & BENEFITS

New Shape:
V3 Power Unit integrates battery pack and electronic intelligence board within a sealed unit with a total length of 232 mm and a diameter of only 16,6 mm.

Seatpost mount compatible:
the reduced diameter (16,6 mm) allows the V3 Power Unit to be mounted within the seatpost, by using one of the two available adapters (for ø 27,2 and ø 31,6 mm), thus reducing assembly time.

Specially developed internal casing designed to makes the system 100% waterproof:
for maximum protection of the battery and electronic components on even the worst road surfaces.

DTI Digital Tech Intelligence:
the digital brain of the EPSTM drivetrain. DTITM monitors and checks the battery, transmits and receives signals to and from the interface and controls and monitors the functions of the rear and front derailleur.

Seat tube/ Down tube adaptor mount:
allows the Power Unit V3 to be mounted in either the down tube or seat tube by taking advantage of the water bottle cage mounts.

duffaux

by duffaux

Hello
I have a V1 groupset
Last year I replace V1 battery and installed V2
Campagnolo said that it was neccesary to replace also DTI
I tested it with dti v1 and it had been working succesfully for this time
I also modified the charger to adapt it for the v2 conector

my question is:
Could be the battery v2 work with v3 dti??
For me is interesting to conect to the app to change settings and for a future conection to gamin 520 using ANT+
With Shimano is possible using and adapter

Someone said that V2 has an port only for chargue and another to conect DTI
The v3 dti has not this port
If I use the frame conector to charge battery as I do now it should not have any problem

Regard

uraqt

by uraqt

@ reippuert

Overtorque is a solution for cantilever cups. Cups hang off the frame were never a good idea.... and Campy needed a crank for BB386.

Campy Overtorque is the only top end crank for BB386 or bbright. And some serious people think it's the best universal crank made.

C

lirek15

by lirek15

Anyone know when V3 will be available?

noruazumi

by noruazumi

I have EPS v2 and wondering if I can just buy DTI interface unit v3 only wihout having to buy and then replace the existing v2 battery?

And does anyone know if the new interface unit support usb charging? My v2 charger spoilt within months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com