Cervelo Gurus- S3 seatpost issues.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

0psi

by 0psi

So I bought an ex-demo Cervelo S3 and somewhere between it getting packaged up and it arriving at mine the seat post wedge went missing. Unfortunately the bloke who packed it up is OS so I just ordered another one from the Cervelo distributor. When it arrived it said 'S5 seat post wedge' on the invoice but the distributor assured me it was the correct one.

Went to pop it in my frame when I got home and it seems way too tight. So my questions are

1. Is it the same seat post wedge for the new S5 and S3?
All the spare parts listing or photos I can find are for the S5 wedge which looks exactly like what I have. I can't find any references to the S3 wedge anywhere.

2. If it is in fact the same wedge (or I have the correct wedge) just how tight is it meant to be?
With the wedge removed the post is tight but still slides up and down. A bit of a tap gets it to go down and a bit of a wiggle gets it to go up. But if I try to pop the wedge in it all starts to go wrong. I can't get the wedge in by hand, I have to push it part way in and then push down on the post to get it in all the way. If I do that there is no way I can move the post, even with the bolt completely removed.

Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

It is in fact the exact same part. The post is the same too. Do the the two pieces of the wedge move freely when the wedge is out of the bike? If not then there is a small bolt on the bottom that connects them together. You can loosen it up a little.

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

I would also add (because this vexed me for a while) - if you keep hearing a little creak/click over every bump while sitting, even though you have the seatpost wedge tightened down to spec and you have eliminated all other culprits (skewers, spokes, cleats, pedals headset etc), try cutting down the seatpost. It worked for my 2015 S3. The post was actually hitting the inside of the frame over every bump because it was too long. I used a Park Carbon hacksaw and guide, and it was super easy. (also saved about 25grams :) )

Cervelo has insturctions on it - http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/Cerve ... c94c-2.PDF

If you look at their reccomended seatpost maximum seatpost insertion of 8.5cm - its very very short.