16 holes to 32 holes carbon rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grouk

by grouk

ok this may be the most stupid thing I've ever heard, so I apologize in advance
i have 2 chinese carbon rims that i dont use. my idea is to mount a set of wheels to my cx bike but the rims are 16 holes, my idea is very carefully make it 32 holes to use with novatec disc hubs

is that possible?
and safe?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Are you even consider this????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

acetonehk

by acetonehk

I really doubt the strength/stiffness of a 16h CX wheel personally.
Probably you need use very strong (and heavy) spokes to compensate the number of spokes.

grouk

by grouk

elfuinha wrote:Are you even consider this????

Why?
do you think the Chinese rims have differences between 16 32 holes besides the number of holes, do you think they make diferent/reiforced rims for each type of rim?
i think not

mattr

by mattr

I don't think posters 2 and 3 can read so well. ;)

And it depends on the rim.
If the holes are angled you may find that they will be angled in the wrong direction when you go from 16 spokes to 32. But you'd need to actually look at them carefully and work it out. I'm lying in bed coughing my lungs up, so I'm not in the best place to work it out.
This may be an issue for spoke and rim longevity.
Also, if the spoke holes are molded in (unlikely) you may have an issue with extra holes.

If both the above are ok, I'd just get a couple of really high quality drill bits and maybe something to fine finish/deburr the holes. (Something like a miniature reamer?) and go for it. (Measure 3 or 4 times, cut in stages, look out for the dust)

fitty4

by fitty4

There was another guy here on site who wanted to do the same, one guy tried it with zero success

mattr

by mattr

FWIW, i've seen it done many times with aluminium rims. There's one place i've used who used to buy blank rims and created a drill template/band for 32/36/48 hole rims (tourers and tandems) for each rim, plus a custom drill bit (for single/box section rims).

TBH, a thick plastic rim tape with the existing holes marked, clocked round by half a spoke gap will give you a guide for the rim bed holes. You could probably make up a spoke side guide using a strip of aluminium, two pegs (for the existing holes) and a guide/pilot hole centrally, then when you've drilled your 16 new pilot holes, take them out to size and clean up.

It's not rocket surgery, unless the spoke holes are angled. You'll be knackered then (i've had a think about it, every other of the original holes will be pointing the wrong way, i think)

grouk

by grouk

no they are not angled, thanks for the opinion and sugestion i think i really go on with that, the worst that can happen is to ruin the rims , but I do not use it so...

mattr

by mattr

Ah, valve hole.

Where is the valve hole. Half way between two existing spokes?

If it is you are stuffed.

srshaw

by srshaw

mattr wrote:Ah, valve hole.

Where is the valve hole. Half way between two existing spokes?

If it is you are stuffed.

Drill another one at the other side? Admittedly its going to be where you want a spoke so perhaps cover it with a metal plate with hole drilled to accept spoke.

Having said that I'd just sell the wheels and buy the correct rims.

grouk

by grouk

yesterday put tape all around the rim and started measure and mark and the valve is right in the place of a spoke where I have to buy two rings with the correct drilling, but the idea is not bad and perfectly enforceable contrary to what some found

kulivontot

by kulivontot

16H disc wheel will explode under heavy braking.
You'll notice there are almost never MTB wheels less than 24H

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Read again. He has a 32 hole rim, but is thinking of drilling it to 32 holes.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!