Canyon Aeroad sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

litw

by litw

Hi,

I've been a long time forum lurker, but just signed up.

I'm looking at ordering an Aeroad SLX frameset soon but, as many people seem to be, I'm stuck on which size to go for. The fit calculator on the site says XL but I've been speaking to someone at Canyon via email and they've recommended a L.

Current stats:
190cm tall with an inseam of 90cm (shoeless).

Current set up:
Colnago Master X-Light, size 58 set up very aggressively, with a big saddle-bar drop that I'm comfortable with for long periods. (I'd add a photo for reference but I don't think I have enough posts)

TT: 570mm
BB-Saddle Rails: 810mm
Seatpost extension: 225mm
Stem: 110, 6degree
HT +Headset +Spacer stack: 190mm
Approx. drop saddle to bars: 170mm

All the stats I can find suggest an XL with 110 Aerocockpit and no spacers would give pretty much the same set up, but I can't help feeling I'm missing something.

Any suggestions welcome.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

LoL, are you Ryder Hesjedal?!

Useful numbers missing in your post: -setback and reach will dictate the TT length you need with a correct stem length

It seems you run a short reach (57cm TT with 110mm stem on the 'Nago) but big drop so definitely sounds like the L would be the best for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

litw

by litw

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've got a 3T Dorico inline post with Fizik Arione 00 sat pretty centrally.

The max extension of the Aeroad post is 250mm. Given that the ST on the L is 551, that gives a max. of 801mm - so 9mm less than I currently have. As it's a 330mm post, is running it 9mm past its max from the get-go a bad idea?

romalor

by romalor

9 mm should be fine and not all seat posts are measured the same way .. or use a thicker saddle

Do you often ride in the drop like this or do you spend most of your time on the hoods ?
Are you able to have a flat back and elbow bended when in the drops ?

thanks

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Only Master X-Light I have in the database is from 2006, don't think it has changed in recent years but it could have
Can't find the stem angle of the H11 cockpit - thing to remember is that the bars are a tiny (for normal height people like us) 70mm reach - so your Bar x will likely need to be a bit longer to compensate for the short bar reach.
litw.PNG

Plus - for seatpost that 801 should be to the clamp = so 840-850 saddle height to top of saddle.

litw

by litw

romalor wrote:9 mm should be fine and not all seat posts are measured the same way .. or use a thicker saddle

Do you often ride in the drop like this or do you spend most of your time on the hoods ?
Are you able to have a flat back and elbow bended when in the drops ?

thanks

Thanks romalor, I spend most of the time on the hoods but perfectly fine in the drops when required. I've ridden the bike about 3000 miles over the last year without any issues.

cyclenutnz wrote:Only Master X-Light I have in the database is from 2006, don't think it has changed in recent years but it could have
Can't find the stem angle of the H11 cockpit - thing to remember is that the bars are a tiny (for normal height people like us) 70mm reach - so your Bar x will likely need to be a bit longer to compensate for the short bar reach.

Plus - for seatpost that 801 should be to the clamp = so 840-850 saddle height to top of saddle.

Thanks cyclenutnz, my stem is at -6 and the 420mm Ergonova bars are 77mm reach and 123mm drop, compared to 70/128 for the H11. I'll email Canyon to ask about the angle of the H11 as I can't find a definitive answer.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

The XL will feel like a much bigger bike. +15 mm longer front end, +25 mm higher stack.

I would buy the L if you want the feel of a smaller frame. I would not hesitate to run the seatpost a bit longer than its limit.

The XL seems to be a good fit too - no spacers, 110mm is not dramatically short stem but I'd rather ride a shorter frame.

Fiery

by Fiery

The L is definitely the closest size to the bike you already have. I wouldn't go for XL unless you were thinking of trying a bigger and longer position.

BernieV

by BernieV

litw wrote:Thanks cyclenutnz, my stem is at -6 and the 420mm Ergonova bars are 77mm reach and 123mm drop, compared to 70/128 for the H11. I'll email Canyon to ask about the angle of the H11 as I can't find a definitive answer.

Did you email Canyon for the angle of the H11 bar and got an answer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com