Effective Handlebar Reach - Easton EC90 SLX3 vs. 3T Ergonova

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndrewL

by AndrewL

I realize that the published reach measurements are 75mm and 77mm, respectively, but that effective reach on bars can vary widely. Does anyone know if the effective reach difference is for these two models?

I've already searched Google, combed the forums and looked at Fairwheel's handlebar article (no data on the SLX3 is included) so I'm hoping that one of you might be able to furnish the answer. Thanks you in advance!
Andrew "Jersey" L

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

I think it depends a little on the groupset used, but a slx3 + campy compared to an ergonova + DA was a really big difference, almost 1 cm! Everything has to do with the place were the levers mount on the bar. A lot higher with the slx3 as with the ergonova i presume, or it has to do with campy vs DA. I bought the ergonova secound hand, and sold it the day after : to much reach and levers to low on the bars compared to my other bike with slx3 + campy. I now run a Profile Canta ss with 70mm reach, and in real live, the feel is close to the slx3. I don't think you will find a lot of bars with less 'effective' reach as the slx3. Those are really nice!

BRM

by BRM

Personally I dont like the Ergonova (carbon) because I have often my hands on the outer rounded edges of the top bar.
Especially there the Ergonova has no "flesh" on the top. So your handpalm has not the right grip. Exactly there it misses ergonomics. Pretty odd imo.

em3

by em3

+1 @Delorre...also, the drops of these bars is quite different. The Ergonovas are more pronounced crescent-shape, while the SLX3 drops are round-ish. Also the taper /sweep from ramps to drops on the SLX3 is bit more pronounced.
Last edited by em3 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Its really hard to say how the "effective" reach will vary until you actually have them mounted up to your preference. On the internet though, you're not going to get much further than the manufacturers published measurements unless you have them all to compare, like fairwheel did. Its going to come down to millimeters depending on how you prefer the bars to be rotated, shifters to be mounted, and let alone which shifters you use.

As far as I know, there are a few 75mm reach bars out there, the SLX3's are one of the shortest reach bars on the market with a nice simple round shape. They're all I ride, I love them.

AndrewL

by AndrewL

Thank you for the replies. I get the impression that the EC90 will have a shorter reach (that's what I'm looking for) but there are some things that I like about the Ergonova, in theory at least. Both the flattened tops and the flared drops intrigue me. I bought a second hand one on Ebay today. If a good deal on a EC90 comes up down the road maybe I'll make the switch.

Normally with compact bars I see them mounted so that the top of the outside of the bars leading to the brake hoods is level and the brake hoods are level with them forming a continuous flat section. I wish that I could describe what I mean better. If I were doing a study on effective reach I would use that configuration as my criterion for measuring the reach of compact bars.
Andrew "Jersey" L

madonna

by madonna

Go have a check on Ritchey PRO/WCS Logic II which have shorter reach than EC90SLX3. I using it and find it better than the egonova.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

what do you exactly mean by "effective reach"? :)

Does bars, which has backward sweeping upper curve (like Ritchey Evo Curve bend) has "lesser" reach sompared to the claimed? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com