Considering a 1x10 Road Setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jooo

by jooo

bonafide wrote:djcharlou...No worry about alignment?

What is the Galibier? I am leaning towards an 11X28 with 46 up front, though worried it may not be enough gearing for my girly-man legs on some climbs:)

Col du Galibier

The SRAM CX1 chainrings (and 'road' 1x11 I assume) offset the teeth towards the frame which gives a more central chain-line.

Some crank and chainring combos probably have a better chain-line when mounted in the inner position.
Last edited by jooo on Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

Thnx jooo for your information. I'm on 130 BCD so will most probably go with the RaceFace narrow wide cx ring.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

imax071

by imax071

I use a 44t narrow-wide chainring on a BCD130 crank. Cassette is 10s 11-34 (XT), as the 11s cassettes have either less range or bigger steps. This gives me the same gears I had back in the days, plus one extra climbing gear.
The first ride was mind blowing - shifting is simply up or down, without thinking in front/rear combinations, which also requires memorizing the status.
No dropped chain so far.

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

imax071 wrote:I use a 44t narrow-wide chainring on a BCD130 crank. Cassette is 10s 11-34 (XT), as the 11s cassettes have either less range or bigger steps. This gives me the same gears I had back in the days, plus one extra climbing gear.
The first ride was mind blowing - shifting is simply up or down, without thinking in front/rear combinations, which also requires memorizing the status.
No dropped chain so far.

Thanks imax071! And which rear derailler are you using? Cheers for the feed-back!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

nayr497

by nayr497

GREAT conversation. I just picked up a modest AL cross frameset that I'd like to turn into a do it all bike (rain, lock-up, commuting, winter riding, etc.). I already have a drop bar bike I use for this riding, going to go with flat/riser bars and rapid fire/thumb style shifters.

Seems like SRAM is the best option for an easy 1x10 crankset. I don't want to go 1x11 so that I can use wheelsets I already have on hand. I don't think I'll have a problem mating a Shimano 10-s RD and Shimano thumb shifter to a SRAM crankset, will I? I guess the only kinda unique thing will be the BB I will need. Thanks.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

xena
Banned

by xena

My next weenie build I'm going I x10. I have put front mech down tube shifters on both my current bikes but I never use them.
I always like having two rings at the front but it is pointless for me. So next build I will be switching to 1 . I use 53/40 x 26 on my guru and 53 /39 x 27 on my trek [ retired ?] I can climb quite easy on my 53 so shall stick with the same set up minus the other ring. I think we will see a lot more of 1 front ring set ups especaily with the long cages. Most normal rear mechs can cope with a 32t just fine.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/