Considering a 1x10 Road Setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Hi,
I'm toying with building up an older Chinese FM015 ISP frame as a 1x10 SRAM setup using some spare components I have lying around. The plan is to use a SRAM Force BB30 or SRAM S900 BB30 crank set. What are some things I should watch out for in terms of chain line and whether I use an inner versus outer ring?

This should be a fun little project. I just recently wet sanded the frame, bringing it down to 1010g without any hardware (I'll likely repaint it though). Using what I have in the basement it should land around 6550g for the build, but I may try to bring it closer to 6300g with a few low cost purchases.

Cheers.

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I like the idea of a 1x setup. An ideal setup for me would be a 52 front ring with an 11-32 rear cassette. Right now I'm running a 53/39 front with a 12 -25 rear and only have to switch to the small ring a few times during my usual routes and could do without the small ring if it wasn't there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gospastic

by gospastic

I had a bike built up with 1x11 for this past season, first with a wolftooth 52t, then with a SRAM 52t. 11-28 in the back. Worked well, I had the chainring on the outside for both rings. SRAM ring has slightly better chainline due to its built in offset.

djconnel

by djconnel

For 10 speed and a 52 in front I'd definitely take a 12-32 over 11-. In fact I'd do the 12-32 with a 48 front. That's still a big enough gear but with tighter spacing and something low for real climbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

I am actually going to go with a 46t front and 12-27 in the back. I'll ride the bike primarily in the early season and off season, as well as when I'm riding with my fiancee... so I need more middle than anything else really. Plus where I live is pancake flat and I am built more like a climber... so I'm not putting down much power. I'll try the setup as an outer ring first and see how it lines up.

FatLaurie

by FatLaurie

I thought no-one was ever going to ask:

By no means a weenie, but running 46t with an 11-36 SLX cassette. Chain is KMC X10.
Mech is a Tiagra 4600 short cage, shifter is a Dura-Ace SL-BS79 shoved into the RH end of a pair of bullhorns.
It's steel from 1990 and weighs a whisker over 10kg (see, I told you).

Maths tells me the range is equivalent to 50/34 with 12-27 on the back, but with no duplications and one movement of one lever to get any ratio.

Chainline is set to midway between sprockets 4 and 5 (counting from the hub), because if it is set dead centre it will try to shift onto 2 if you spin backwards while on 1. Likewise, I seem to remember it will try to go for 3 from 2. It's a tad noisy on 10, less so on 9, OK on all the rest.

I've been riding 1x10 in various forms for 18 months plus, dropped the chain once - no idea why. Of course I then had to stop... (Shimano and KMC would probably not approve by the way.)

Just a few lines of a thumbnail sketch, now if only I could post a couple of images.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Best wishes

FatLaurie

ifp123

by ifp123

Hello, new member here: I've been riding my R3 and S3 with a 52/26 (ROTOR Q-Ring) 11-28 with good results. and I'
m considering a 1x11 or 1x10 Specialized Allez setup. 1. Suggestions for front and rear? 2. Is a ROTOR Q-Ring adaptable for a 1xsetup? The bike would be used for Crit and Circuit races, and the occasional group Hammerfests

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

Interesting thread!
Are the guys currently on a 1x setup running narrow wide chainrings and a "clutched" rear derailler?

Thanks for the response and information!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

How would someone go to an 1x10 setup? Just remove the front mech and all or is their more to the process?

RBJ2206

by RBJ2206

wolfesquire wrote:How would someone go to an 1x10 setup? Just remove the front mech and all or is their more to the process?

Little more than that. You need a narrow/wide chainring on the front to stop chain dropping. Other than that, yes remove front mech and away you go.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Right now I have a SRAM Force BB30 10sp 39/53 Chainring and 11-25 ultegra cassette. I was planning to buy a 12-27 cassette and drop the chainring to a 52T as I live near the beach (aka, no hills what so ever)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Rather than a narrow/wide ring setup, which I think would bring friction into play in this case, why not go for some sort of lightweight chain catcher?

bonafide

by bonafide

All...Are any of you considering alignment of the crank? I will be converting to a 1X as well but am not sure how to align the chainring with the pressfit BB? Is there any adjustment horizontally or will it be "close enough" without modification?

Thanks

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Hi
1x10 user here , my bike :

I don't use the clutch rear der, juste a simple Force medium cage to go with a 11-32 cassette and 44t chainring.
Works fine.
You juste need the right chain length, as descripted on wolftooth site : "Wrap the chain around the largest cog in the back and the chainring in the front. Do NOT route through the rear derailleur. Overlap the ends of the chain by a total of 4 links (2 links on each end of the chain) -- that's the correct length"

Did the Galibier on this setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bonafide

by bonafide

djcharlou...No worry about alignment?

What is the Galibier? I am leaning towards an 11X28 with 46 up front, though worried it may not be enough gearing for my girly-man legs on some climbs:)