Best brakes available?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Delorre wrote:I'm a little disappointed in the stopping power of ma DA9000 front brake (stock pads, new + alloy wheels).

That's your problem! The stock pads has horrible stopping power and modulation......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

I've only ever used stock pads with my DA9000s. Great modulation and power - considerably better than 7900 which aren't bad.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Very happy with Campagnolo Super Record skeletons with the mono pivot rear on my alloy rims. Can't fault them at all; great modulation and I like the mono on the back as it seems better balanced to me. To be honest I've never had any issues with any of my brakes, I have a set of Zero Gravitys on another bike and find them brilliant, but I bought them from a guy that hated them so each to their own. i used them with Campy Chorus levers. I weigh 130lbs btw
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

nickf

by nickf

Had planet x calipers for a few years and they did good. Got new wheels and they had to be completely open and had no lever pull. Got a pair of EE calipers and what a complete difference. Lever feel is great and so is the power. No issues descending with cork pads. Plus they open wide enough for my bontrager tubs that have a 27mm outer brake track. So if you can swing it go EE. No experience with DA calipers.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Almost two pages of advice and no one asks about cable housing?

If you are not using top quality housing you are wasting you time and money. if you have Sram housing it could be awful depending on which type you have - some are soft like jelly - complete crap.

Aren't Force and Red pretty much the same? I have a few bikes with Sram Red brakes while surely not as good as DA9000 they are all the brakes I need and I am a fair bit larger then you and deal with some very steep roads on a regular basis. You don't see too many complaints about Force (or Red) brakes. Before you give up on them I would install some Yokozuna brake cables and housing. If you are still not satisfied then I'd say you have a legitimate beef.

All of the above assumes perfect set-up and correct brake pads.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Best Brakes? Depends on what you are looking for. Best stopping? Best weight? Best looks? Best Over all? Here are the recent ones I own(ed), and what I (and only I) think about them.

1- DA 9000. Excellent stopping power and modulation. Sets the standard for me. Unfortunately, very heavy.
2- THM Fibula. As good as DA in stopping and modulation. Most expensive brake sets I have. Looks very nice (especially the special order, red one)
3- EE (old version) nearly as good as DA in stopping power, and half the price of THM. However, I simply couldn't get used to the way it looks. Sorry...
4- AX Lightness Orion. Light. However, downhill stopping power is not there. If you want the lightest bike, go for these. But be very careful...
5- Ciamillo Gravitas. Looks better then AX, weights similar, brakes similar. I just don't know why a skull is painted on the brake arms. :-) For best looking WW bike, I'll go with this, thought consider sending off the skull :-)

I've tried Ultegra, Red, and TRM. In the presence of the ones above, I think they are second alternatives without a significant advantage over the others.

Bogan

by Bogan

EE
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Unless Force brakes got a lot worse when SRAM moved to 11 speed it's not the calipers (assuming stopping power is the main issue).

Assuming you're using Alu rims then I'd change to Swiss Stop pads and after that I'm with Mr.Gib, housing makes a big difference and Yokozuna Reaction is definitely the best performing I've come across (haven't used some of the ridiculously expensive options though).

If you're using carbon wheels then you'll have to let us know what but braking varies a lot between rims from different brands.

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

2old4this wrote:Best Brakes? Depends on what you are looking for. Best stopping? Best weight? Best looks? Best Over all? Here are the recent ones I own(ed), and what I (and only I) think about them.

2- THM Fibula. As good as DA in stopping and modulation. Most expensive brake sets I have. Looks very nice (especially the special order, red
I've tried Ultegra, Red, and TRM. In the presence of the ones above, I think they are second alternatives without a significant advantage over the others.

THM Fibula in red color, sounds perfect choice, can you show us some photos please :)
Did not found any reasonable photos while searching :(
Limited Edition maybe, available anymore from THM ?

mrgray

by mrgray

+! photos of thm red. i'm very interested to hear what you have to say re: the thm brakes ebing quite good for stopping power. they certainly look great.

i've got EE brakes and they are pretty great however could just be i did a better job setting them up than SR. i'm using them with LW's and braking is great. dry of course.

EE's start to look great when you enjoy how well they work. i really like mine. pretty easy to setup too. don't work so straightforward with powercordz.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

gilco

by gilco

if you have a force groupset, look grat force brake

2old4this

by 2old4this

Here is a picture I took earlier today. The hardware is red...
http://1drv.ms/1UezV9z

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Look for Fairwheelbikes brake review, still no better comparison out there.

My experience with brakes for my climbing bike build:
* DA9000: no questions stopping power as good as there is. Heavy, but up to 20 grams can be saved by using different brake shoes. DA7900 is lighter but almost as good anyway (and if used, can be bought quite cheaper)
* KCNC C7: absolutely best weight/price ratio there is. Adequate stopping power on Alpine and Dolomites descents (up to 10%), I'm 75kg. But I can understand some might want more power, and it certainly wouldn't be enough in emergency stopping situations. Easy to install and adjust.
* EEbrakes (latest version): almost as light as KCNC C7. Power not as good as DA brakes (understandably), but haven't used them in mountains yet to check the legendary modulation mentioned frequently here on WW forum. Quite a lot less ugly than the old ones :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Stueys

by Stueys

I ran DA9000 and 7900, on both the first thing I do is swap the stock shin pads out for swissstop which makes a significant improvement. Nothing wrong with da 7900 but da9000 was a clear step up IMHO. I had red 22 on the bike for a while and that was close to DA9000 in braking performance but DA was better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

First post so hello all!! :waving: I have been searching for people with experience of eeBrakes and this appears to be the place with the most posts about them.

I am finalizing parts for my new Road Bike build in anticipation of my frame returning the painters next week maybe!! Some idol surfing once again has the potential of costing a few hundred pounds....I browsing and came across Bespokecycling dot com, scrolling through some of their build a Colnago caught my eye with a Gold Chain and gold Jagwire cabling. Not usually a fan of the stealth look but upon closer inspection it had eeBrakes fitted.

Further reading took place on various forums, YouTube etc and it appears eeBrakes are very highly regarded for their stopping power, modulation and being very lightweight (162 grams, without pads, for the pair - Dura Ace are 296 grams per pair I believe).

For my build I am using Dura Ace 9000 throughout and will be running Zipp 303 wheels and Alligator iLink cable housing with PTFE coated cables.

As eeBrakes are far from cheap at £460 for a pair here in the UK....my thought process headed towards selling the Dura Ace brakes whilst they are brand new for maximum return and offset that against the cost of the eeBrakes.

I have tried to understand the Fairwheel Bikes Brake Review but to be totally honest it is a bit technical for me...DA come out well in some elements and EE well on others. Is the answer therefore no one brake is perfect!?

I know EE are lighter and in my eyes the latest versions look fantastic. Are eeBrakes worth the money over DA9000 if they only offer slightly better feel/modulation, plus a small weight saving with the bonus of looks?

Many thanks in advance