Logistics for a Multiple day road race... Tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

My team is going for a 2 day stage race in november. first stage is 167 km, second 107km

there are three of us, so some logistical planning is needed. all our race wheels are tubulars, and we all ride shimano. all the wheels are 11-speed compatible so thats not an issue.

question though, is what to do when it comes to spare wheels or flats. I'm thinking of bringing a spare set of tubular tyres up, but have no idea how to pre-prepare them- tape? glue? if you flat on the first day there isn't any real time to glue a tubular for day 2. or maybe it might be better just to bring a spare set of clincher wheels?

any advice appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Without know what type of ride it is and weather....as much as space allows bring another set of tubular wheels for each rider. Spare clinchers in a pinch too. Do you have SAG support?

It was not a stage event but I front flatted the day before a big climb imperial century and opted to go with clinchers race day. Not my ideal setup but to your point I wasn't able to reglue and didnt have 2nd tubs.

boysa

by boysa

If there is a support vehicle, I would glue up an extra set of wheels (or a clincher set is fine, as well) and throw them in the follow-van. If the wheel support is neutral, just use what they provide. Bring an extra set of tires, pre-glued, and a can of glue and a brush or two. If you flat on Day 1, once you return to where you are staying simply strip the punctured tire, apply a layer of glue to the rim, then mount your new tire. Ideally you want 24 hours before riding the wheel, but I don't think a few hours is going to make a difference, at least not in my experience. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it on 12-15 hours.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

RyanH

by RyanH

I too have been guilty of putting on a preglued (with a new layer before applying) around noon and riding the next morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mrgray

by mrgray

i've often (especially recently) put a tyre on a rim (which has glue remnants on it) and ridden. i've then flatted (numerous times) and had to take, a tyre put on in these circumstances, off. it hasn't been easy. i think i would pre-glue tyres and then take them with me as spares. i'd be happy to ride on that almost straight away. i haven't been racing of course, but my riding does involve tearing down the odd hill.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

sawyer

by sawyer

Use neutral support for wheels if there is any

Take two tubs between you (assuming low puncture risk). No need to glue up in advance

Just make sure you have glue, brush, tyre lever (if needed), white spirit, and then set about it asap after any puncture on the first day, mounting and riding in the evening before.

24h might be ideal but you can get a strong enough bond with much less time
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com