Short reach road frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Hi

I'm looking for a new frameset for my GF. Problem is, she is short and a lot of manufacturers don't make bikes that will fit well. She is 159cm tall, and is currently riding a Bianchi Oltre XR2 in the smallest size with a 60mm stem. This bike has around 375mm reach, and I'm looking for something in the 360-365 range and preferrably with a non-setback seatpost.

We have found the Cervelo range (both S and R), the Canyon aeroad and some Pinarellos, but we would like to see more options. Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards
Martin

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Cervelo
Trek H2 Fit
AX Lightness
Rolo
Colnago (they have many, many sizes)
Parlee (custom or their 'tall' sizes, essentially reduces the reach in some cases)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hey Martin,

same as mine, so with that, look here at the smallest size...

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/women-s
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

My wife is about the same size as your GF and her Litespeed C1 in Small fits her well. Seat tube is 52.5cm, top tube is 52.5cm (per Litespeed'a specs).

tibikeboy

by tibikeboy

Hi Martin,

I have poor flexibility in my back so I've been searching for a frame with short reach also. I found it in a NeilPryde Zephyr. You can check out their geometry here:

http://www.neilprydebikes.com/bikes/zephyr/bikefit.html

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My wife is the same size as your's and I have spent hours looking at frame geometries. It is always possible to find the correct size in a "women's" bike but true female athletes often find them offensive in their appearance. My wife falls in this category and is not interested in a frame with an obscene sloping top tube so that it looks like a "girl's" bike from the 1970's. Neither is she interested in a paint scheme that will match a doll's playhouse. Like me I am sure you have found a shortage of "real" bikes in her size. You are correct with the 360 - 365 reach, but unless she has very short arms and torso she should be OK up to 370.

I would encourage you to look closely at the Trek Emonda in size 44 or 47. The Emonda is available as a frameset in the SL model in a nice neutral black with white graphics.

Please note that the 52.5 top tube mentioned in a response below is too long for your wife. Very small bikes all tend to have a 74.5 (some 75) degree seat tube angle. Assuming certain constants (head tube length, etc.) this means you cannot go longer than 51.5 cm and 51 cm or less may be preferred. This permits you to fit the bike with a decent size stem (70 - 80 mm). Shortest reach bars also have to be part of the equation for the little ladies.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Pinarello has heaps of short reach options
Eddy Merckx Milano, AFX, EFX
BMC GF
Kuota
Diamondback
Norco Valence
Scott Solace (Contessa)
Louis Garneau Axis
Trek
Felt ZW (these are very nice bikes)
Kemo

All offer bikes with less than 360mm reach

audiojan

by audiojan

My wife is 158cm and rides a Parlee Z5SLi (XS) and a Pinarello Dogma 60.1 (44cm). She also has a Orbea Orca Dama (49cm) and she's had numerous Orbea's before that.

There's definitely options. Look at shorter reach bars (3T Ergonova for example) and keep the width appropriate.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Go custom, or Felt-Z series, Canyon also has some offerings, as well as I'd look into Ridley frames.

http://www.legendfactory.it/eng/ht5_7.php

:) What would be the ideal stack-2-reach ratio? I'd strongly suggest to rather opt for shorter TT&reach and a longer stem for more comfortable and predictable steering.

From handlebars, PRO (Shimano), Controltech, Deda offer 36cc bars, the Pro ones are very short&shallow, which can come handy for small palms and short fingers. :)

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Thanks for all the suggestions! Mr Gib got it right. A lot of womens bike are like gran fondo bikes, and in small sizes they look like MTB frames. This is a girl that can crank out higher w/kg than most semi-pro guys, so big stack is another problem. The Bianchi is at around 495mm stack iirc, and a lot of the smaller womens bikes are around 530mm...

She is currently running the deda RHM bar shape with a 75mm reach and 130mm drop.

The ideal size would be something like a 360mm reach and a 490mm drop and no dust-cap + a 60-70mm -17 degree stem.

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions. Some of them I knew of, but some were an "ofcourse-moment".

If I understood her correctly, the emonda SL8 and the supersix evo ultegra is on top of the list now!

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Have fun bike shopping and do let us know what she ends up with.

BRM

by BRM

When people look for a new bike imo they should mention things like:
max budget
the purpose of the bike
handling preferences
etc.

Just another option:
Custom Chinese titanium frame.

unagidon

by unagidon

You need to consider both reach & stack. Short reach with low stack may not help as she'll have more saddle to bar drop.

Being short myself...the bikes with short reach that I've found include:
BMC Granfondo 48cm
Cervelo 48 or 51cm
Cannondale Synapse 48cm
The Canyon's are pretty awesome if you can get your hands on one
2016 Cervelo C3
Carbonda CFR 505 - just ordered
2016 Kona Roadhouse - on the way out after I receive the Carbonda
2014 Niner Jet 9 RDO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓