L I G H T S

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

If you're using lights in group rides be considerate. A super bright or mis-aimed tail light can blind the riders behind you. The light should be aimed level so drivers can see it from a distance. If it's aimed up it's much less effective for traffic but it blinds the rider behind you.

szazbo

by szazbo

From all the responses, no one has tried Lupine lights. I use the Betty with 5000 lumens and the Rochtlict rear light. I have tried all the brightest lights and these are beyond compare. Yes they are also the most expensive too but quality is unbelievable. Check out MTBR light tests. Bluetooth remote, app's for your phone to adjust the levels and other options.; Find one near you to try out. I cannot ever outrun my light.

http://www.lupine.de/eng/products/helme ... ts/betty-r

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

@szazbo - I have the Lupine Rotlicht ... it is very clever tech. Not quite as bright as Moon 60 tho.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

boysa

by boysa

Another Lupine Rotlicht here. Love it. It's plenty bright (too bright is no good, either), has a lot of settings, is easy to adjust, and has no problems with lots of water. Really no complaints whatsoever.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

lupine uber alles
http://eliflap.it/

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thread dig, looking at the Strada 1200 for properly dark country roads.
A) Better options?
B) Can it be mounted under the bars?
Using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Any reasonably bright front light could be mounted upside-down on (below?) K-Edge Combo XL (GoPro underside mount)?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wanting seperate light mount, have seen a few cracked K-Edge mounts caused by the Fly12. My curent Duo setup uses the combo mount.

A bit more digging and the Toro looks like a better option with the variable beam and 2400lm for dodging wildlife on descents etcImageImage
Using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

szazbo wrote:From all the responses, no one has tried Lupine lights. I use the Betty with 5000 lumens and the Rochtlict rear light. I have tried all the brightest lights and these are beyond compare. Yes they are also the most expensive too but quality is unbelievable. Check out MTBR light tests. Bluetooth remote, app's for your phone to adjust the levels and other options.; Find one near you to try out. I cannot ever outrun my light.

http://www.lupine.de/eng/products/helme ... ts/betty-r

i still have a Betty but now, i use that for mtb.

i've been using a Piko for some time now and upgraded last year to the Piko remote. the rochtlict is nice....and with that, i use the seat rail mount for all my bikes.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

evan326

by evan326

I just got a cygolite tridenx 1100. It's obviously brighter than my cygolite metro 750, but it also has a much wider spread. I got it for riding home from work at night.

leej88

by leej88

I start my rides late at night (9pm onwards) and being able to see + to be seen is of utmost importance to me since I ride alone.

I'm using both the Exposure Strada 1200 MK7 as well as the SIX PACK MK7.

The SIX PACK MK7 is really bright and I like that it's all packaged into one single unit as opposed to a piggyback battery system.

Only downside is its size and heft.

27brad72

by 27brad72

I designed and 3D printed a Garmin mount with legs to hold my home made single Cree XML light. 3 Power levels are cycled using your thumb via a remote switch which I located under the brake hood . Maximum power to the LED is 3A so plenty of light out on the road and enables conservation of the battery. The battery is a 3.7v 1S3P pack located under the top tube which you just see in the bottom right hand corner of the picture (red bit)

Last edited by 27brad72 on Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

evan326

by evan326

That's some great engineering

3Pio

by 3Pio

I have nice experience with Exposure Diablo MK8. Light, bright, have two mounts: handlebar and helmet mount. I can do 2 hours ride in total dark until battery go empty. Good thing is that u can reprogramm different programs with different settings, so for example going uphill i use lower beam and very easy to switch to brighter one (tap on the light, or push the button. This way i conerve the battery and have enough for 2 hours.

BTW, thinking to buy Strada 1200 as well, but have dilemma about mounting on my carbon Handlebar (Easton EC90 SLX3). Easton manual says it's not allowed to mount lights.

So what do u think? Is it ok to mount Strada 1200 on my Eeaston EC90 SLX3 handlebar, or that way im risking failure with the Handlebar?

27brad72

by 27brad72

3Pio wrote:I have nice experience with Exposure Diablo MK8. Light, bright, have two mounts: handlebar and helmet mount. I can do 2 hours ride in total dark until battery go empty. Good thing is that u can reprogramm different programs with different settings, so for example going uphill i use lower beam and very easy to switch to brighter one (tap on the light, or push the button. This way i conerve the battery and have enough for 2 hours.

BTW, thinking to buy Strada 1200 as well, but have dilemma about mounting on my carbon Handlebar (Easton EC90 SLX3). Easton manual says it's not allowed to mount lights.

So what do u think? Is it ok to mount Strada 1200 on my Eeaston EC90 SLX3 handlebar, or that way im risking failure with the Handlebar?

You can get some nice twin XML lights with 1500+ Lumen output on full that only weigh 67g plus the battery pack. Even the single XML's kick out more than enough light for road use with the right reflector. A head unit this light (pardon the pun) will have no issues on the bar or under the computer like I have. This way you can also choose the battery pack size for the desired run time. I easily get 2 hours from a 1S3P pack,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com