Who Knows About BB30?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

After measuring an FSA BB30 crankset installation with a self constructed measuring jig and laser measuring device (not really) it seems that the LH pedal sits approximately 2mm further outboard than the RH pedal.

Do crankset manufacturers account for the extra ~2mm that the wave washer adds on the NDS in their designs? Or do they think that it doesn't matter if one pedal sits further outboard than the other?

Thanks.

ms6073

by ms6073

I think the consensus among the WW community is that kind of asymmetry is not all that significant. I do recall that in addition to the wave spring washer, the FSA BB30 bottom brackets should be supplied with two or three ~2mm thick spacers but you could also use the 1mm plastic spacers from a Cannondale BB30 kit.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

2mm is a thick wavy washer, on my bb30 (sram) once adjusted i'd expect about 0.5mm for the washer

but as above, not a significant offset, i would not worry

Cleaner

by Cleaner

You can view the BB30 standards drawings here. The issue you are asking about is not directly addressed by the spec because the chain line and clearance to the chain stays is influenced by some other geometry in frame design but this is a good reference.

http://www.bb30standard.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/bb30standard_new.pdf