What to replace my Wilier Cento Uno?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

After 5 yrs of cycling joy on my '09 Wilier Cento Uno, it sadly might be time to replace. Please help me find a suitable 'new' frame (can be used or NOS) given these criteria b/c the LBSs in my area have very limited selection and virtually none that meet my wants/wishes, so I'll probably get the frame online:
1) Must be carbon fiber, preferably not tube&glue as I like the look/feel of sloping top tubes and monocoque frames.
2) Must have an ISP: I love it and don't have need to ship the bike so the ISP is not an issue.
3) Must be as close as possible to the geometry of the Cento Uno: I've ridden that position for 20+ yrs on the Wilier and prior bikes; although I could go with a slighter shorter top tube (ie ~52.25cm vs 52.40cm).
4) Weight is far more important than aerodynamics; preferably in the 900 gram range or less for a size S frame.
5) Must be 10-speed, mechanical (makes no difference to me if it has internal or external cable routing). I have too much invested in components, wheels, cassettes, etc., that must be reused on the new bike to convert to 11 speed/electronic. Budget doesn't permit the change.
6) And must be top quality with some bling that inspires me.

The most obvious choice is the pre-2015 Wilier Cento SR, which still has an ISP; or the older Cento Uno SL. But I'm not wild about the graphics/paint schemes on either and neither really excites me. I'm also considering a Look 695. What other frames fit my criteria? I'm drawing a blank but I must be overlooking good options... THANKS!
Last edited by Fourthbook on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Hhhmmm... not the lightest (still around 950 grams, I think) is the Ridley Noah SL.

The main manufacturer I think of when I think of ISPs is Giant. A Propel SL or a Defy Advanced, perhaps?

Look and Wilier you have already covered. What's the budget - how about an Alchemy CF Road?

And Cyfac is always an option with their Absolu V2.

English will certainly make you a frame with an ISP if you so desire...

A point of clarification - did not compare geometries... that's your own homework if you like any of the suggestions... :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

No ISP, but I just picked up a Cervelo R3 to replace my Cento Uno SL.

em3

by em3

Fourthbook wrote:After 5 yrs of cycling joy on my '09 Wilier Cento Uno, it sadly might be time to replace.

Just curious, if this merely 5 year old 13lb bike has brought u so much joy, why r u replacing it?

kgt

by kgt

After 5 years I' ve replaced my Cento Uno with a Cipollini Bond. I had written a review in case you 're interested but these two are very different frames.

I don't think a Ridley Noah SL or a Propel will be up to the standards of Cento Uno's sublime ride.
The only frame that may offer this balance of responsiveness and silky comfort IME is the Time Skylon. In case you love Cento Uno's ride and want something similar but of higher quality (stiffer, better construction standards, handmade in France and not China etc.) that would be a really wise choise.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Thanks all. As KGT suggests, the ride quality of the Cento Uno is sublime and fits my riding style/uses and the local road conditions perfectly. Unfortunately, the frame might have developed a crack at the front derailleur hanger that's now being assessed. If the crack is structural, I'm hoping to find a frame/bike with similar fit, feel and quality.

The Cyfac and Alchemy are probably over my loosely-defined budget. Giant is an obvious option I overlooked and I would consider the TCR Advanced SL (and I can test one locally) but it just doesn't excite me. Same with the Ridley Noah: I'm simply not keen on the split fork. I'm sure they're both great bikes, though. I'll take a closer look at the Time Skylon.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Wilier Cento1 SR

em3

by em3

Fourthbook wrote:Unfortunately, the frame might have developed a crack at the front derailleur hanger that's now being assessed. If the crack is structural, I'm hoping to find a frame/bike with similar fit, feel and quality.

...sounds like i might be repairable. Lots of legit carbon repair shops in US that could probably do the work.

As for suggestions on new frame, something with lifetime warranty should be on top of your checklist. I know a few friends with the TCR frames and they love them, but ultimately fit and warranty should be the determining factors.

Doyler

by Doyler

That 101 is too nice to replace. Just get it repaired! I broke my first 101 beyond repair so I bought a second hand one to replace it. Absolutely love the frame and how it feels.

The older Look 595 and 586 are beautiful. My wife has this one in red/black and loves it:
https://www.racycles.com/outlet/road/lo ... meset-3037

https://www.racycles.com/outlet/road/20 ... meset-3030

mimason

by mimason

Like you said the Giant may not excite you but I hear from some locals that the new TCR ADV SL is very nice.

I don't get the ISP must have though(I've sworn off of them)...the new Cento Uno looks great. A buddy is the rep. I'd be on one if I didn't already have my current ride.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

De Rosa King RS?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

nickl

by nickl

danbjpa wrote:De Rosa King RS?

I was going to suggest a DeRosa too. I had a Merak before my Cento Uno SR and loved it, despite the Wilier being technically a better bike.

I'm not sure they do an ISP anymore, do they?

danbjpa

by danbjpa

no more isp. R&A cycles and chainreaction has some old stock King models isp in sale but still expensive.
'old' Bianchi 928 Sl isp is good and beautiful option too, but hard to find nowadays
Edit: Eddy Merckx EMX 7 (a ebay seller still have)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Merckx and De Rosa: great bikes and suggestions. Thanks. I've loved both since the early '80s and ended up getting a custom-made 753 Merckx in '92. I know traditionally they've used pretty much the same geometry which is very close to my Cento Uno. But the EMX7 and King RS, as others noted, are no longer in production and the ISP was discontinued several production cycles ago, so the supply is very limited. And I don't think the EMX7 was ever made in a 52+/- size frame, altho CRC might still have 1 RS that would fit. But in the mean time, an update on my Cento Uno issue: its a 'too coincidental to be true' story...

I took the bike to my LBS last week for routine maintenance (install new chain, cables, etc) b/c the shifting was problematic. Last Friday the shop found that the front derailleur hanger was separated/loose from the frame and moved when shifting. I went in yesterday to take a look. We can't tell for sure if the rivets/glue are loose or if the underlying carbon layer has delaminated. When I got home I checked the warranty in my owners manual and discovered that I purchased the frame exactly 5 years ago to the day and it came with a 5 yr warranty. So the shop and I have been in contact w/Wilier to see if they'll cover the repair. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Any other suggestions appreciated, just in case.
Wilier Cento1 SR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Well, after the Wilier-IT home office rejected my warranty claim for reasons not really understood by me or Wilier-USA customer support, a settlement was negotiated (w/ the support of Wilier-USA) in which I get a left-over 2015 Cento 1 SR frame (not a new 2016 model) to replace my 2010 Cento Uno with the 'separated' front derailleur hanger. So, I get an ISP, which I wanted, anyway...

End of thread

PS: I'll post the new build and review on the Wilier Club thread.
Wilier Cento1 SR