Powermeter choices dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I want to buy two (2) powermeters to put on my daughters's (identical twins :) ) bikes.

Balancing budget is always a challenge, and I'm lost in the maths to count what would be the best powermeter choice without breaking the bank.

- The girls have 5 wheelsets, so buying 1 or 2 Powertaps would mean building more (and heavier :( ) rear wheels .
- BOth bikes are equipped with Sram carbon BB30 cranksets (1 Force and 1 Red). So most crank based power meters mean buying a new crankset also.
- Not Shure what's the best bet between rear wheel weight penalty by going Powertap 3G rear hub, or crankset weight penalty with new alloy cranket (FSA Gossamer or Energy BB30 or Ultegra with a BB adaptor, maybe left FSA Energy Stages and right SLK Light or K Force crank).
- Power 2 max Gossamer GXP "specials" with a BB adaptor for BB30/PF30 (weight penalty...) ?
- Used "good old" SRM ?

What's your best estimation :noidea: guys ??

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

New aluminum cranks with stages powermeters ?

My experience was that the Wheels Mfg. Delrin adapters work perfectly to adapt hollowtech cranks to BB30. No problems at all.

Al cranks (Ultegra, 105, Rival) are inexpensive. And stages has certain models on sale.

53x12

by 53x12

$500 and should be open to order end of the month?

http://watteam.com
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

rchung

by rchung

LouisN wrote:- Not Shure what's the best bet between rear wheel weight penalty by going Powertap 3G rear hub

Depends on what hubs they're using now. The least expensive Power Tap G3 hub weighs 5g less than a Shimano Ultegra hub so if that's what you're replacing there is no weight penalty -- it's a weight savings, plus you don't need an extra speed sensor since it's already inside the PT.

grouk

by grouk

pedals?? vector power tap or bee pro

romalor

by romalor

vector are shit , only marketing as a lot of power meters helas
even the pros sponsored by garmin use SRM

SRM I couldn't find any in compact so unless you daughters are extremely powerful it won't be easy

LouisN

by LouisN

The best would be using a powermeter all the time, for training and racing.
Their racing wheels have Dura Ace 9000 rear hubs 24h, so it's kind of a pain to take those off to put powertap hubs instead...

I'm not shure Shimano or Rival cranks + adaptor is that much better than an FSA alloy BB30 crankset. The latter option is lighter lighter IMHO, plus I already have the 46/36 110 BCD (U17 in QUébec) chainrings.

MOst of the events are done on the big (46T) chainring. We often train on hills though. One of them can climb with a 38T small chainring, the other one....hmmm, she would need new (14-27) cassettes ...that would also mean two new sets of chainrings 46/38 :)

I looked at the Powerbeat option. Yes, that can probably work with their actual setup :) . Close future will tell us if they have good support and product quality...

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Sell off the sram chainsets and put towards Rotor LT?
Official cafe stop tester

RServranckx

by RServranckx

Have you looked into the new PowerTap P1 pedals?

Rob

glepore

by glepore

Powertap P1's, or last I saw Stages was blowing out their remaining stock of SRAM rival arms, see above. The Precision 4iii is getting good reviews but you'd need to buy alu cranks and ship them over and wait.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

LouisN

by LouisN

2 Rotor LT's or Powertap P1's would bring me down to roughly $3000. CAN.
Yeah the Stages Rival arms prices are good, but they're GXP. I'd have to sell both BB30 cranksets, for peanuts, and buy 2 GXP ones.

Maybe used alloy cranks, like Rotor 3D 30 or Hollowgrams (I don't have any problems buying used metal, but I want a new Powermeter with warranty), and 4iii Precision is one of the best options. At least they're in Canada, I won't have to worry about customs, fees, etc...
I can manage below $1700.-1800. for both new PM's and pretty light and good quality cranksets.

Darceking

by Darceking

Can you go past the Garmin Vector2S for the price ? Much better then Version 1. They are well priced also

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

Powertap P1's. Any bike, any time. No compatiblity issues. And left right power.

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I would go for Rotor INPower - fits BB30 perfectly, no weight penalty and can use any wheels.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zuntopia

by zuntopia

ROTOR Inpower, or Garmin vector.
If you have enough in wallet, go to ROTOR POWER (for 2 crank arms)