Jagwire Link and Campagnolo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Hello everybody. I have just got a Venge frame and I wanted to use segment housing for the first time. I was looking at the Jagwire Link since its looking the best in my eyes. But they claimed the system is not compatible with the Campagnolo levers.

Is it true or someone from you are actually running Jagwire Link with Campy? I know the cables shouldnt be a big problem, just sand them down carefully to fit the Campy diameter. But is it gonna get stuck in the levers? I have Chorus 2015, if thats make any difference. I am gonna glad for any advice.

I was thinking to not get the Link segments stuck in the lever body use the old original Campy housing underneath the handlebar tape and connect the Link segment to it? Is it the way how to do it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emcardle

by emcardle

When you buy jagwire elite cables they give you a piece of ordinary cable to go under the bar tape.

thebuny

by thebuny

I bought the alligator Ilink and they did not enter the lever (super record). Still want to try and I thin that there is some adaptor were you can convert.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

I know I am biased as Campag's head tech in the UK but I'd say:
Build Campag with Campag cables, Shimano with Shimano and SRAM with SRAM. That way you'll get a system that definitely works, with no issues, so long as the build is done correctly.

If the cable makers and the component makers are both saying "these parts are not compatible" then you probably are asking for some headaches - you may be able to get it to work with some modification of the cables and maybe the levers, too - but it's probably going to be a lot of time spent and in the process you will have binned the warranty on the parts.

I think you need to check, if you haven't already, with JagWire why they say Link isn't compatible with Campag - it may be just be the head size on the inner cable, it may be the outer cable section size where it interfaces with the lever, it may be that they have tested it and couldn't get it to work predictably. It's unusual for companies like JagWire to recommend against something - after all, usually they are trying to provide a universally compatible product to widen their market share.

Even if you get lever body fit solved by using Campag outer under the tape, you then have an unstable joint between conventional outer and Link sections just at the point where the cable will most want to bend - the exit from under the tape. You *could* get around that by placing that joint a couple of cm under the tape and pre-bar taping, hold everything down really tight with PVC tape but if it doesn't work, it's a lot of hassle & it'll always be a weak point.

We've built Venges with the standard Campag cables with no problem - the only time we've found section cable useful was on some Cervelos where the downtube cable stops were very close to the headtube & the outer cable had to make a tight bend to get into them - there we have used Nokon in the past.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

arthurf

by arthurf

It works fine. I have the Jagwire elite link cables and housing on 2014 SR eps and haven't had any problem with it. As emcardle says, you get a length of normal housing to run under the tape to the lever

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Ancient post I know but...
Was it the housing that does not work well with Campy shifters (at the interface with the shifter) or was it the end of the actual cable that
did not mate up well wit the brifter? Why bother sanding down the cable end- can't you just use a Campy cable with the Jagwire kit?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

You need to buy the elite link shimano kit and separately buy the campy inner. Frustratingly they don't sell a campy full kit or an outer kit on its own
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:53 pm
You need to buy the elite link shimano kit and separately buy the campy inner. Frustratingly they don't sell a campy full kit or an outer kit on its own
Campy inner? Do you mean the actual cable or something entirely different? I would've interpreted "inner" as the liner, but as far as I can tell no separate liner exists for Campy. (Also the liner is even the exact same for both shift and brake kits, the only difference between the kits are the ferrules and cable.)

You can get all of the parts separately but doubtful that will be much cheaper:

https://www.bike24.com/p2321824.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2166018.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2365529.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2365533.html

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Inner as in the actual cable

Just want to know if a campy brake cable fits in the liner of a jagwire bead system.... the one with the little aluminum bits...

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

V3Rs

by V3Rs

For the Elite bead system Jagwire has personally informed me that Campy cables will fit perfectly in their housing
There is no such thing as a Campy version of the Elite system