How to internally route on a colnago c60?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Hi all,

Working on my new c60 and I've got to route the internal hydraulic and di2 cables. Here are the holes:

And with the grommet in:

So the di2 wire fits perfectly in the downtube grommet but that would mean routing the hydraulic tube via the headtube (if there's space) and then doing a u turn in the top tube to come out forwards. Surely not.

Fwiw here is the page in the manual:

Any help much appreciated.

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dino0204

by dino0204

My suggestion is:
- fold stiff sheet of paper and put it into this hole,
- lead cables from another side and "catch" it with this papper.

I hope you understand.

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Thank you for your support.

I will try this.

However, my main problem is as follows.

A) Downtube hole is designed for di2 wire
B) Top tube hole is designed for brake hose.

If a and b are true then:

Is there clearance for brake hose in headtube?
How does brake hose come out facing forwards? This must be by doing a u turn in top tube(!)

I have studied pictures on the colnago website of finished bike and it seems they have the di2 cable coming out of the top tube, but if this is correct then there are no grommets for that arrangement and both cables will be loose in the holes.

Either way seems very poor to me.

Allen

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Downtube hole is for rear hydraulic brake.
Presume it comes out somewhere around the BB??

Toptube hole is for Di2/eps cable to battery- looks like it goes down the headtubbe "gusset" and follows the hydraulic line down to the BB

Edit:
I've just seen some close up pics on competitve cyclist of the headtube area.
On there it shows a "double" gromit for the downtube so it looks like hydraulic hose and cabling goes there, but the pic of their frame doesn't have a hole in the toptube.
Are there other holes on the other side of your frame?
Official cafe stop tester

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Thank you!

I've just looked on competitive cyclist too.

The double grommet on the side would be perfect, but that's not what I have.

I do not have holes on the other side.

It looks like if I can get the double grommet I can just get a grommet to 'blank' the other hole off.

What a load of really bad design on one of the most expensive frames you can buy.

Dreadful!

showdown

by showdown

The hydraulic cable enters into the downtube, runs around the BB (there's plenty of room in there) through the chainstay and then out by the rear brake. It never enters the headtube. The Di2 cable can enter the toptube hole and then make the turn and enter the headtube and run down into the downtube and then to the junction box. You might also be able to run the Di2 cable along the toptube to the seattube junction and down the seattube to the junction though that might be a bit tight. The best way would be to run it into the hole with the hydraulic cable.

As for grommets, your dealer should be able to procure them for you. If you bought the frame online, well, you've now learned a lesson as to why ordering online can be problematic.

Yes, this one is a C59 but the routing is the same.

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to put them both through the downtube hole.

Problem is I'm left with a hole in my toptube that I have to put a grommet in. Poor design from colnago.

Does the hydraulic hose go around the metal prongs on the metal part of the bottom bracket? I tried but seems a bit too tight.

Thanks again.

bontie

by bontie

I have another question, so hope you don't mind.
There is a hole under the BB where cables exit the internal routing through he downtube. Is the idea to leave this open as is or should it take some sort of grommet/plug?

I cannot see that this is a good thing, especially riding around the UK with the wet roads around here.

showdown

by showdown

You can plug the hole in the top tube with a grommet from shimano or colnago. Your di2 and frame should come with various grommets and plugs,if not they cost nothing and can be found easily. There's. I plug for the opening under the bottom bracket and it's not an issue with respect to water penetration.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Did you get the small white cardboard box that has all the small accessories and fixings that you require as you build up the frame? It also has the steering bung and tool to remove the bottom bracket cups? This would have had the dual grommets and blanking plate for the bottom of the bottom bracket?

bontie

by bontie

Cheers for replies guys, I bought a demo frame, so nope.
Will get in touch with a dealer for those then....

allenhuish

by allenhuish

Here is a photo of my box of bits. Image

bontie

by bontie

To be honest, I see nothing in that box, that will close the hole i was referring to.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

That's not the complete kit of parts you normally get with the frame?

Disc0

by Disc0

This is an older thread, but the same problem still applies for the current C60 frames.

The pic a few posts above shows the same parts kit I received with my C60 Disc frame. Trouble is, there's no grommet in there that will close off the hole in the downtube where you run the rear brake hydraulic cable.

My H11 shifters didn't come with grommets for the hydro cables, and it seems the available di2 grommets (even the wide 7x8mm ones) are too narrow to fill the hole.

How have you C60 riders closed off the hole?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com