2016 Fuji SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Ok thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thewallace

by thewallace

Some of the first reviews are coming out, very impressive

https://youtu.be/SLsfZ77PJBs

cleavel

by cleavel

Thanks for the link to the review. My bike won't be 5 Kg. I liked what I heard about the bike's downhill manners. Hope a 52 cm handles as well.
Thanks.
Cleave
Visit my blog at http://www.lawville.org/

addictR1

by addictR1

great review... wish they say when it will be available..

fatbugger

by fatbugger

Cleavel - Any updates on the frameset. Very interested in reviews on weight and handling performance.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Fuji has always been one of the best values out there in a bike. Now it looks like they have more going for them. Nice review

s
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

djconnel

by djconnel

Wow!

I'm amazed he did it on Crono tires. I use them and have suffered several punctures. Like my recon cassettes, I view them as limited use items. To me this review was more about the wheels and tires than it was about the frame.

Relative to my Fuji SL/1, it seems they've shortened the trail on the small sizes. That's good.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

addictR1 wrote:great review... wish they say when it will be available..

They're currently for sale on PerformanceBike dot com... Should be available now, no?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RussellS

by RussellS

djconnel wrote:I'm amazed he did it on Crono tires. I use them and have suffered several punctures. Like my recon cassettes, I view them as limited use items. To me this review was more about the wheels and tires than it was about the frame.

He also used Reynolds RZR 46 tubular wheels that retail for about $2300 right now. So putting $63, 165 gram 22mm tubular Vittoria CS tires on the wheels does not sound that outlandish. I thought the review was mostly about riding in one of those L'Etape cyclosportive rides in Europe. Bike and wheels were mentioned, but it was about the ride.

djconnel

by djconnel

165? $65???? (more like $120 each)

Note I tared the rubber band.

The tires are time trial tires and aren't designed for durability. I use them for pure hillclimbs, which of course involve descending afterwards, but wouldn't use them in an event where skidding or performance braking was required. They're too thin. But maybe they were fine for this race, since it seems everything except the climbs were neutral.

The tires and wheels play such a large role in the ride that my point was the review was at least as much about them as it was about anything else. I was amused he used a Quarq crankset which has deadweight on a bike which, if it's like my Fuji SL/1, came with aluminum bottle cage bolts.

BTW, that bike comes the closest of any off-the-shelf bike I've seen at having a component spec I like. EE brakes? Fantastic. The 130 BCD crank is a bit of a dinosaur, though -- for anyone short of professional men a compact makes much more sense if you're doing enough climbing to care enough about weight to buy this.

cleavel

by cleavel

fatbugger wrote:Cleavel - Any updates on the frameset. Very interested in reviews on weight and handling performance.

Hi fatbugger,

Sponsor LBS said the framesets are at the warehouse and getting boxed this week for shipping next week.
Thanks.
Cleave
Visit my blog at http://www.lawville.org/

fatbugger

by fatbugger

cleavel wrote:
fatbugger wrote:Cleavel - Any updates on the frameset. Very interested in reviews on weight and handling performance.

Hi fatbugger,

Sponsor LBS said the framesets are at the warehouse and getting boxed this week for shipping next week.

Cheers mate. Thanks for the response. Please post the build updates and ride review. I am in the market for a new frame and I am counting on this frame to be great value for the buck.

RussellS

by RussellS

djconnel wrote:165? $65???? (more like $120 each)

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres ... 77001.html

ProBikeKit sells Vittoria Crono CS tubular tires for $63.14. Free shipping if you order $79. These are the exact same tires shown in the video at the 3:25 point. You can get a large image on the ProBikeKit webpage. Must be some kind of psychological condition that causes some people to pay almost double the retail price for tires. Glad I am not afflicted with this bizarre, terrible disease. The weight of 165 grams was what was listed on the website for 22mm tires. 175 grams listed for the 24mm tires.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

My team is getting these, and they are trickling in (as they are shipped by Fuji). I think I'll have my frame in a week or two, but I might hold out for an etap build, which means I'll have to wait for SRAM to get their stuff together too (or maybe I'll cave and go with something else). I'll post weights when the frame arrives.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

edit
Last edited by Krull on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.