Northwave Extreme Tech Plus Road Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The black shoes in 43 just came in and they are just about as narrow as the Bont Vaypor S. My foot is 276mm long and 110 wide and there is just a little room in the toe box length wise. I took a 2x4 and drew an outline of my foot on it and trimmed close to the shape of my forefoot and then pressed it in the toe box to shape it with a little tension on the buckle. I also made a steel plate to replace the cover that is supposed to be removed to install the speedplay adapter. Once you pull up the window cover the three bolt is exposed and there is a plastic frame around the three bolts which I could feel with the ball of my feet. This is the reason I installed the steel plate. I run my insoles very thin under the balls of the feet and so now its smooth underneath. Today was the second time I wore them and the toe box shape is better for my slightly wide feet. The window plate also feels better underneath my feet as well. Once I am happy with the overall feel I will dig up some titanium or something lighter to replace the mild steel plate thats there now. The sizing chart for these shoes are way out there as it recommended a size 42 (In comparison to the 43.5 Sidi and Lake I normally wear)and I probably should have ordered the 43.5, soon I will order the Speedplay adapter plate. :D
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

LouisN

by LouisN

I have 282 and 286mm long feet. Flat feet, normal width.
I'm very tight but fine on sie 42 Extreme 3S (it took a dozen warm inside rides...). I used to have Bont A-1's size 42.5.
Before that I had Northwave Aerator race 3 in size 42 so I figured I needed the same size.
If I had to order again, I'd go 42.5, It would give me a little more room. I'd like to put a thicker insole but now I can use the red (thin one) only.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

These shoes are really a cool looking model.
After reading your commentary, I have to wonder if these are the shoes for you though.
Perhaps the wrong size, but you have put a lot of work into making a shoe fit you that may not necessarily be the correct choice for you.
I have always had bad/sensitive feet and as a result have always subscribed to the idea that if the shoe does not feel comfortable instantly out of the box then don't bother with them (granted, this is said considering the inserts I prefer.)
If you can make them work for you, great (because they do look wicked) but the foot / shoe interface is a key one for me and I prefer not to tempt fate for too many kms.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Stolichnaya wrote:These shoes are really a cool looking model.
After reading your commentary, I have to wonder if these are the shoes for you though.
Perhaps the wrong size, but you have put a lot of work into making a shoe fit you that may not necessarily be the correct choice for you.
I have always had bad/sensitive feet and as a result have always subscribed to the idea that if the shoe does not feel comfortable instantly out of the box then don't bother with them (granted, this is said considering the inserts I prefer.)
If you can make them work for you, great (because they do look wicked) but the foot / shoe interface is a key one for me and I prefer not to tempt fate for too many kms.

Its a big risk buying over the internet but for the most part I have gotten away with it for many years. My left foot is the bigger of the two by a couple mm and I always cut the front portion of the left insole off because of my
sensitivity on the ball of my left foot. I can get away with smaller sizing with no insole and the left foot being the longest. I did get caught out on the Bont Vaypor S though which are currently for sale. No matter what pair of shoes I purchase there is always some modifications going on because of the left foot. I think the Northwave will be a good shoe for me now that I have made those changes. I also have the Northwave winter boot which I like very much.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

So I have a few hours in these shoes now and I am liking them more and more with each ride. I dont know if they need a break in period or if my feet have adjusted to them, maybe both. I do know that the stack height even with the speedplay adapter plate is still lower than with my Lakes with the four bolt mount. I know the Bont are a low stack height as well but not quite what the Northwave is. When I get the Northwave speedplay adapter mount I will have to cut the ISP again to get the seat low enough. Guess thats not such a bad thing.