Carbon or Titanium rear triangle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slick1

by slick1

Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying a titanium bike frame but a bit undecided whether i get one with carbon fibre rear triangle or titanium. I know the carbon one would probably weigh a bit more but what about ride quality.

I'd be interested to hear different opinions based on experience.

Thanks

fa63

by fa63

I will vote for titanium seat stays. Just looks better in my opinion. Using carbon in that area might be marginally better at vibration damping, but you can get the same effect by reducing tire pressures very slightly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sedluk

by sedluk

I would prefer all carbon frameset or all Ti. Problems anytime you mix the two.

Rick

by Rick

+1 to "do not mix".

jooo

by jooo

slick1 wrote:I know the carbon one would probably weigh a bit more

Why? It should weigh less. Carbon fibre is less dense than titanium. If it does weigh more, it's been designed poorly and/or likely uses an excessively heavy pre-fab rear triangle from the early 2000's.

sedluk wrote:Problems anytime you mix the two.

Rick wrote:+1 to "do not mix".

This is nonsense. They are quite a compatible bonding pair. Failures are caused by bad design and manufacture, not because it's a bad idea to use these materials together.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

all carbon, or all ti frame is the way to go.

slick1

by slick1

Thank you all for your replies.

I thought that a Ti bike would be heavier with a Carbon rear triangle.

Here is the link to the bike.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/armadale ... 1085540354

The guy told me it was a 4T Ti bike but when I looked it up they dont make a carbon rear triangle Ti bike. He said it was a custom frame with a columbus rear triangle.

AJS914

by AJS914

If you are worried about weight, get a carbon bike.

I had a Litespeed but I'd probably never buy another ti bike. My carbon bikes have been stiffer and more comfortable at the same time as well as a lot lighter.

The Litespeed was a fine bike in it's day though a little stiff in the rear end. I liked how it was bulletproof. You couldn't scratch it, rust it, or nick it. (You actually could do those things but you have to try really hard and can easily brush the finish again.)

slick1

by slick1

I'm not really worried about the weight. Just thinking which would be a nicer ride but still being stiff. I already have a carbon bike (Look 695). This would be another option to ride. I also have an aluminium bike with carbon rear triangle and fork. Love it and rides great. Wilier Alp D'Huez. Adding a Ti bike to the collection.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Did he provide the geometry for the bike? The seat tube and head tube both look rediculously slack.

slick1

by slick1

hornedfrog wrote:Did he provide the geometry for the bike? The seat tube and head tube both look rediculously slack.

no geometry. Just size from Centre to Centre (Headtube to seatpost) and from BB to rear axle and BB to front axle.

When you say slack what do you mean exactly?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There is no problem bonding the two. Atleast not with the two Padauno racing frames i've used.

Question is more if it is needed.

It's up to each and everyone to believe or not the benefits or lack of.

Essentially it's made to gain stiffness. There are ofcourse several guys who will tell you it destroys the property of both materials.

But if you talk to Legend bikes, Passoni and Paduano Racing they will tell you differently.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I ride a aluminium/carbon bike - bonded from 1992. Still all going strong. I dont think bonding is bad idea. Ti welds can fail too some brands are quite famous for it.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

By slack I mean the angle looks less than ~72/74 degrees. It could just be weird proportions of picture and that the frame has a fairly normal head and seat tube angles, but it look pretty slack to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com