Rotor mechanical and hydraulic shifting groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andrew9

by andrew9

maquisard wrote:Given the strong links between Cervelo and Rotor I think S5 and P5 bikes running this group are pretty likely

Perhaps Cervelo will bring out a Disk brake frame?, or else they'll need to use hydraulic rim brakes? Not that there's anything wrong with that

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

wheelsONfire wrote:I am curious, anyone who really feel they would buy Rotor over any electronic based shifting system?

I don't think that I'd take it over a mechanical system. It looks like another solution to a problem that never existed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

nd2rc wrote:This new system looks legit and my ONLY concern is I hope they devised a slick tool to bleed it. Otherwise, frames like my S5 will finally shift like a dream (I am not interested in electronic and the ideal of "oh shit, I forgot to charge my battery"). Looking forward to seeing this system and test riding it.

Forgot? 1,000 miles and an indicator on the bike to tell when you need to charge it. You will charge your cell phone and bike GPS more often than the Di2 battery. Both the phone and bike GPS which I assume you will bring on your bike ride.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I hear ya, electronic is super cool. Although for me, running a business with 13 employees, a wife and 3 kids, an acreage with animals, oh and running a business .... I often forget to bring my riding socks and other simple necessities, like water bottles. Remembering to air up the tires of my bikes is a pain as it is. I don't want an electric drivetrain despite how slick they are. Heck, one spider bolt was creaking and it took my a dozen or so rides to remember to tighten the damn thing. Electric drivetrain is not for this guy. Mechanical all the way and this hydraulic, it looks slick man! Everything has it's pros and cons, I'm sure this will have it's cons, especially for being an industry "ice-breaker", but we shouldn't knock it until someone puts a few hundred miles on it.

I'd agree with andrew9, an R3 with disc would be sweet! Especially since it's their "roubaix/cobble" bike

deek

by deek

I wonder how often you would need to bleed the derailleur system. I'll admit that I don't know how air gets into hydraulic brake lines, but the derailleur system is not exactly the same load case as brakes. Lower forces and also no heat problems to deal with. It could be that the derailleurs are zero maintenance.

BmanX

by BmanX

My guess is years.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

superdx

by superdx

nd2rc wrote:I hear ya, electronic is super cool. Although for me, running a business with 13 employees, a wife and 3 kids, an acreage with animals, oh and running a business .... I often forget to bring my riding socks and other simple necessities, like water bottles. Remembering to air up the tires of my bikes is a pain as it is. I don't want an electric drivetrain despite how slick they are. Heck, one spider bolt was creaking and it took my a dozen or so rides to remember to tighten the damn thing. Electric drivetrain is not for this guy. Mechanical all the way and this hydraulic, it looks slick man! Everything has it's pros and cons, I'm sure this will have it's cons, especially for being an industry "ice-breaker", but we shouldn't knock it until someone puts a few hundred miles on it.

I'd agree with andrew9, an R3 with disc would be sweet! Especially since it's their "roubaix/cobble" bike

There are bigger issues here for you than electronic shifting.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

hornedfrog wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:...On the note of electronic vs. mechanical vs. hydraulic and WW-ism: what the heck is up with some of you?
You are riding a machine that is, if you're here on WeightWeenies, tuned and refined to maximize efficiency. This forum is known for promoting advanced knowledge of engineering, material use, and details in everything... Sure if you like the consistency of electronic, good for you, but why do you sh*t all over a system that will be lighter, reliable (ie, you are not dependent on an external power source to operate a bicycle), re-buildable, tunable, and will be virtually future proof with changing range of gears? Seriously?...

Can we over generalize this and apply it to the whole forum? People need to chill out, so much negativity on here lately. Its like people like to bicker and contemplate whats better for them and everyone else more than they like to actually ride their bike.

I think you're right and actually I share your views.

But I've been involved in projects very similar to his one too many times now not to see a pattern here:

- Ambitious company that wants to enter a new product category in order to grow.

- Product category/market with a high volume-knowledge-engineering threshold, populated by a small number of historical players, with wafer thin margins, complex value chains and standing on a mined field of patents that benefit no one but that companies feel the need to plough in order to maintain the status quo and protect their position.

- Technical solution that is more based in all the above than in a true technical benefit.

If finally Rotor's system can find a place in the market that would be great as it mean more offer, competition, etc. But all the cases I know that comply with the above pattern have been a failure.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't see a possibility to acquaint myself with Rotors system which is kind of a down sizer.

I think it would be necessary to have a hands on experience with this system and even FSAs electronic before a purchase.

It seems more safe buying Shimano Di2, Campa EPS and/ or Sram E´tap (once released).

If it would cost like the mechanical groupsets, be it Campa Record, Shimano DA 9000 or Sram Red 22 and come in at a significant weight saving, it would be in my ball park.

Not that it has anything to do with Rotors release, but when can we expect to see wireless from other players like Shimano and Campa?

I have no clue how long Sram can claim patents for this kind of transmission?

It seems there are suggestions FSAs groupset uses a dummy cable for the FD to RD!?

In this case, FSA would also be wireless, i guess...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Both Campagnolo and Shimano covered in their patents the idea of sending the signal wirelessly to the derailleurs.

Actually, there is no way you can patent that in Europe without a note from the Patent Office because Mavic Mektronik existed before, so it is not a new State of the Art.

In USA it is a little bit more complicated but still there was a wireless system before so...

eric

by eric

The Sram patent does not patent the idea of wireless shifting. It patents improvements to wireless shifting, most notably to the reliability of the signalling.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Makes sense

Nejmann

by Nejmann

superdx wrote:
nd2rc wrote:I hear ya, electronic is super cool. Although for me, running a business with 13 employees, a wife and 3 kids, an acreage with animals, oh and running a business .... I often forget to bring my riding socks and other simple necessities, like water bottles. Remembering to air up the tires of my bikes is a pain as it is. I don't want an electric drivetrain despite how slick they are. Heck, one spider bolt was creaking and it took my a dozen or so rides to remember to tighten the damn thing. Electric drivetrain is not for this guy. Mechanical all the way and this hydraulic, it looks slick man! Everything has it's pros and cons, I'm sure this will have it's cons, especially for being an industry "ice-breaker", but we shouldn't knock it until someone puts a few hundred miles on it.

There are bigger issues here for you than electronic shifting.

Hahahaha..

jooo

by jooo

Wow, looks much slimmer on the bike IMO. It would be great to get some target weight and prices. I wonder if ROTOR will do a XC group as well? They've generally had a pretty even number of road and MTB focused components. They could still partner with Magura for brakes as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinko

by martinko

Now they need to do a wheelset, so they could totally get rid of Shimano from these shots :D