Rotor mechanical and hydraulic shifting groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmerka

by rmerka

:mrgreen: Are you saying maybe wait until "dos" is released? :mrgreen:

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Whilst I am, of course, unable to resist commenting on anything as yet unseen and untried by anyone here except Mariojr (but perhaps hes just a tease), I think the "why change vs cable/electric" cost vs function vs weight assessment is pretty premature. However, it may have its own rationale given if, as I think it will, the market moves to disc brakes, then probably to hydraulic discs, then there is a logic to have the whole brake & shifting integrated, for example Ive seen some designs somewhere on the interweb of a hydraulic cylinder located in the handlebars. Once youve got hydraulic for brakes surely it makes sense some then to have the same system for shifters?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

Rotor won't release this unless they are absolutely certain this will offer some kind of improvement over other systems.
It's such a competitive market with small margins, they won't release this for fun or as some kind of experiment, unless they are aiming to go bankrupt within 2 years.

I'm interested in the concept and looking forward to some real world reviews and user experiences.
But I could be wrong

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Even though I have a bit of skepticism I am still intrigued. Maybe I should give this ago on my all year round commuter or maybe I should put it on the race bike I have to build up for next year. There is only one way to find out if it works properly. I would only be interested in the fully hyrdaulic version and I would love next year race bike to have disc brakes as I am getting fed up of wearing out rims.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Leviathan wrote:Whilst I am, of course, unable to resist commenting on anything as yet unseen and untried by anyone here except Mariojr (but perhaps hes just a tease), I think the "why change vs cable/electric" cost vs function vs weight assessment is pretty premature. However, it may have its own rationale given if, as I think it will, the market moves to disc brakes, then probably to hydraulic discs, then there is a logic to have the whole brake & shifting integrated, for example Ive seen some designs somewhere on the interweb of a hydraulic cylinder located in the handlebars. Once youve got hydraulic for brakes surely it makes sense some then to have the same system for shifters?

I'm the danish Rotor distributor for 6 years, so I have a bit of experience with the stuff :-)
As Rotor's big expertise is CNC machining, the design style is kinda a given. The group including the very nice 11 speed cassette will be the lightest on the market and of course the front deraileur is made to work perfectly with Q-rings, of course.
Sorry, but I can not say any more before it will be released next week.

BmanX

by BmanX

I will give it a go if it is the lightest in the market BUT maybe Sram Wireless will end up the lightest on the market so I should maybe wait.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

rmerka

by rmerka

The more I look at this the more I like it. I think will look and be a great fit for a new Open U.P. bike!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

If the price is right this is now competing with SRAM Red 22 on my list of target derailleur systems. If the SRAM Wireless comes out that may also be an option, but I believe my travel bike should be solely dependent on my power to operate. (and ideally all bicycles should be that way)

I really like the aesthetics overall - they may need some editing for graphics and definitely some tuning to make them lighter, but like any mechanical system this can be taken apart and sent off to be pvd'd or ano'd easily. NICE! :twisted:

If the weight knocks it to the top of the rankings that should be the main point of desire here on WW.
I swear some people here may be lost and should be at BikeForums or something. :noidea:

I tried the protoype Acros road group at InterBike a few years back, it was good. It needed more development and was clunky in appearance, but the operation was super smooth and confident... that alone had me sold on the idea of hydraulic shifting.

On the note of electronic vs. mechanical vs. hydraulic and WW-ism: what the heck is up with some of you?
You are riding a machine that is, if you're here on WeightWeenies, tuned and refined to maximize efficiency. This forum is known for promoting advanced knowledge of engineering, material use, and details in everything... Sure if you like the consistency of electronic, good for you, but why do you sh*t all over a system that will be lighter, reliable (ie, you are not dependent on an external power source to operate a bicycle), re-buildable, tunable, and will be virtually future proof with changing range of gears? Seriously?

I could see those same people who posted "WHY" or whatever stating the same thing when someone wants to tune something to make it lighter, or someone builds a bike less than the UCI limit. If you're asking "WHY" when there is an opportunity to advance a human-powered machine then perhaps you are on the wrong forum and, perhaps even more so, in the wrong sport/activity.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

This new system looks legit and my ONLY concern is I hope they devised a slick tool to bleed it. Otherwise, frames like my S5 will finally shift like a dream (I am not interested in electronic and the ideal of "oh shit, I forgot to charge my battery"). Looking forward to seeing this system and test riding it.

maquisard

by maquisard

Given the strong links between Cervelo and Rotor I think S5 and P5 bikes running this group are pretty likely

ms6073

by ms6073

spartan wrote:do you really want to be a beta tester..

Good point, but that approach has not inhibited Garmin's growth in the cycling community.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dino0204

by dino0204

In my opinion this groupset could be lighter than todays mechanical. If the price will be benefit, they can succeed. I will try one :)

I think it works with air, not oil?

maquisard

by maquisard

Hydraulic implies oil, pneumatic means air.

Pneumatic systems leak and require constant repriming

dino0204

by dino0204

I know. With air this system could be lighter, but now I undarstund it's is also difficult to do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

prendrefeu wrote:...On the note of electronic vs. mechanical vs. hydraulic and WW-ism: what the heck is up with some of you?
You are riding a machine that is, if you're here on WeightWeenies, tuned and refined to maximize efficiency. This forum is known for promoting advanced knowledge of engineering, material use, and details in everything... Sure if you like the consistency of electronic, good for you, but why do you sh*t all over a system that will be lighter, reliable (ie, you are not dependent on an external power source to operate a bicycle), re-buildable, tunable, and will be virtually future proof with changing range of gears? Seriously?...

Can we over generalize this and apply it to the whole forum? People need to chill out, so much negativity on here lately. Its like people like to bicker and contemplate whats better for them and everyone else more than they like to actually ride their bike.