Hollowgram questions about upgrading from original SI to SL2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cep111

by cep111

I have an older much loved black anodized Caad with an original hollowgram Si. I understand the opi spider rings will work. Here are a list of questions I have between the Si and the SisL2 that I can't seem to find the answers to.

Is the bottom bracket compatible between the various road models? Do the arms and bb intermingle?

How much weight differences is there between various versions?

How much weight does the spider rings save? Really want to buy these!

6806 ceramic and full ceramic offerings. Do they save much weight or friction?

by 9734344

I wasn't sure about the look of Sisl2/Spider Rings until I found out they weigh less than any of the major manufacturers. Very impressive in this carbon age.

I do quite like them now I think, but there not cheap and it is less convenient not being able to change rings independently.

Unfortunately I don't really know much about them. I thought I had read somewhere that they were fully compatible but you should check before you drop that amount of wonga.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I'd noticed your post hadn't been answered and I am trying to get my posts up to 30 so I can send a PM and get a SR FD cage someone offered me so I can finish my Storck Fascenario build. Why do they have these rules? I could just post replies on the introduction pages saying "hey, love the wheels man" but that would be cheap and could ruin my reputation LOL.

I hope someone replies soon who knows.
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Its all the same pattern to mate the cannondale crank to the spider ring, srm, or whatever else you want to use..

I have my SiSl2 mounted on the 109mm BB on my road bike and have the pre sisl2 hollowgram SRM mounted on my TT bike using the 109mm spindle as well.. Reason being is because the PF30 BB cups actually have a very slight lip on them and my SRM is from 2010 and non beveled on the back, I needed a way to push the SRM away from the BB shell... so I have the standard 2.5mm spacer and one .5mm spacer drive side... have never had an issue with running it like that..

As for bearings... I might get slammed and booed, but I've had more problems with ceramic BB30 bearings than I want to talk about... tried all those fancy kogel ceramics, fsa ceramics blah blah.. dirt always managed to sneak in around my EVO FD cable guide and work its way in and grind my spindle down and take the bearings with it... I switched to BBinfinte yes ceramic... and 3 months and several thousands of KM , its nice and quiet.. its double sealed so nothing is getting to the spindle... and whats unique is it all presses in from the non drive side so I have no PF30 cup anymore on the drive side, so I was able to ditch the .5mm spcers on my road bike and get my SRM tucked back in close to the BB.. drawback to it.. you need a special tool that is air driven to remove the entire unit from the bike.. changing bearings looks no different though...

Should note that SiSL2 and BB30A seems to use 109mm spindle.... but like I said Im using the pre SiSl2 on a 109 and its not bothering me at all..