BB30 install tools for the home mechanic?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Is that Park HHP-3 a decent tool? Any others?

Am debating buying that to do the work myself or just take frame to a shop to do it proper.

I enjoy tinkering and knowing how it all goes together, but sometimes....a pro's time is money better spent.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The Park press is a awkward and bulky for bottom brackets, but is okay if you just want one press. The Cyclus BB press is purpose-made for bottom brackets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shlammed

by shlammed

a piece of threaded rod, 3 nuts and two washers larger than the bearing and you have a bearing press.

Rick

by Rick

If you are just going for a one-time installation, it isn't worth it. But if you plan to do multiple installations and removals over time, I think this looks like a good tool:
http://enduroforkseals.com/id195.html

I don't have it; I am using a Park headset press with some BB30 installation bosses from FSA. My system works but is bulky and inconvenient, leading to easily starting to misalign the bearings.

laspariahs

by laspariahs

Wheels manufacturing makes this, thought it's pretty simplistic.

http://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/pres ... press.html

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Thanks all, after looking at the options methinks I'll take it to a shop. I'm fortunate to have a very good one nearby. :beerchug:

Mainly don't want to screw up the bearing alignment by having anything other than top notch tool and some experience doing this, and I don't feel like spending $150+ on a tool I'll use once in a blue moon.

Maybe with age comes understanding my own limitations....and a reluctant willingness to pay someone to do the work properly. :mrgreen:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Trust yourself and never anyone in a bike shop. Having worked in the trade (OEM) for a number of years, bike shops are full of imbeciles.

commendatore

by commendatore

BB30 press once in a blue moon? Did you mean once EVERY moon? :-)

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

i'm handy and have built (assembled) all of my bikes over the years and really do enjoy it, but in this case the local shop i frequent is definitely not in the numbnuts category. :thumbup:

but otherwise yes i totally get your comment.

commendatore if i had more than 1 bb30 frame i'd probably buy the pro quality tool for the job (hhp-2). i've read so many mixed things about bb30 that if i had an issue that needed diagnosis, it'd drive me bonkers to take into shop each time. am hoping i don't have an issue with the frame in question (a caad9).

Valbrona wrote:Trust yourself and never anyone in a bike shop. Having worked in the trade (OEM) for a number of years, bike shops are full of imbeciles.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

2nd on the enduro tool. I have one if you want to buy one, since I no longer have a BB30 frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

by Rick

With all due respect to the few GOOD LBS mechanics, the statistical probability of getting a good one is very low, so I do all my own wrenching and it is always worth it to buy the tools.

Especially with BB30: you THINK you will only use it once in a while, but your BB will probably need some adjustment and tweaking frequently if it is like most. Best also search for some of the numerous BB30 threads ....and buy some Loctite 609.

ms6073

by ms6073

Rick wrote:think this looks like a good tool: Enduro BB30 & PF30 BEARING PULLER/PRESS

We have bikes with both BB86 and BB30 bottom brackets, so I have ended up with both the Enduro tool and the Park headset press and will agree that for BB30 installation, despite the o-ring in the split collet tending to snap, the Enduro is much easier to use for the job.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Make your own tools.

Homemade BB/headset press

Homemade BB bearing puller made from a holesaw

Homemade Hollowgram lockring tool. Also made from a holesaw. :-)

ms6073

by ms6073

While I applaud the DIY efforts, when it comes to BB30, many have commented that bearing alignment is a key aspect of getting the longest life out of the bearings, and in that respect, threaded bolts with large/flat washers does not seem like it would do an adequate job of assuring bearing alignment. I got the Enduro tool after I noticed the Park HHP-2 Bearing cup press with BB30 drifts had a lot of 'slop' and would allow a slight amount of skew when pressing in the bearings where as the Enduro tool has tighter tolerances between the shaft and the drifts.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

eric

by eric

The Park BB30 drifts are not very good for aligning the bearing.

I recently installed a PF30 BB using Wheels' PF30 drifts and their economy bearing press. It worked very well- the drifts and press kept the bearings aligned perfectly.

Be aware that you need two of the drifts, and even though on line seller's pics show two, they're selling one at a time and you need to order two.

The bearing press works for hub bearings too. I wish I'd bought their nice bearing press but the economy one works fine, it's just not as fancy as the high end one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com