'09 CAAD9 / request some help on BB and headset suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

I picked up an '09 (white with grey & red graphics) CAAD9 frame and it's a BB30 bottom bracket. No idea what the headset size/spec is, I'm totally new to this frame but it seems to be a big fan favorite here in WW.

Any BB and headset parts suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, is it really worth getting a BB30-specific crank, or is it ok to run an adaptor so I can use regular threaded cranks?

For parts group, I'm using either NOS or very gently used DA 7800, and other do-dad's that I've got (stem, saddle, post, etc). Wheels will vary.

Thanks. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I have a CAAD9 frame and fork. It uses an FSA headset. 1 1/8" bearings go directly into the headtube, no external cups pressed into the headtube. Fork is an all carbon Cannondale Premium. No information about your bottom bracket since my frame uses standard English threads.

andrew9

by andrew9

Do you already have a crank?
Are you looking to get a crank that can be used on a different frame later?

Used Sram Red BB30 cranks seem to be a little cheaper than GXP, for example.
A BB30 specific crank will also probably be lighter, but will be too narrow for any other BB type later on, I believe.

Fiery

by Fiery

It uses the Campagnolo Hiddenset standard: the bearing seats are machined into the headtube and a couple of 41.8mm 45°-45° bearings drop straight in. No separate cups and no special tools needed. You can use any bearings with those dimensions.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

If you use an actual Campagnolo Hiddenset headset, then you need to use the bearing cups as well as the Hiddenset bearings are not sealed, they are caged-balls. (Cue Beavis and Butthead laughing)

FSA and others that use the same headset standard have sealed bearings that can be dropped right into the headtube.

The Hiddenset 1-1/8 inch standard has an outside bearing outside diameter 41.8mm and a 45 degree bearing seat.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Also, is it really worth getting a BB30-specific crank, or is it ok to run an adaptor so I can use regular threaded cranks?

I'd say the answer is no and yes. Buy a Praxis BB and use the standard Shimano crank.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Update: build is completed. Weighs in at 17.3 lbs.

Came out really nice, can't wait to ride it.

Thanks to all for the tips & suggestions on how to deal with the bb.