Cable housing routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clm2206

by clm2206

I've noticed that in the past Campy 10 sp Ergopower brake cable housings were routed into the handlebar front groove, while shifter cable housings were routed into the handlebar rear groove, but now both cable housings are routed in the handlebar front groove. Anybody know why?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Routing both to the front has been the norm for ever. I have never seen a pro bike done otherwise. Campy's own marketing materials always show both at the front. Campy now installs the cable in new shifters at the factory - in the front position.

Just neater and more aesthetic.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

clm2206

by clm2206

It seems you've not been enough on this. During all the Ergopower 10 sp lifetime (mid 90s to maybe 2009), every single Campy equipped bike in in the pro peloton has been routed front groove for brakes and back groove for shifter.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Certainly never saw a pro using 8 speed Ergopower with both cables routed together at the front. Everyone routed their cables separately in the early days of Ergopower - brake at the front and gear at the back.

This Bikerjulio sounds like a kid too young to have ever come across a handlebar with a cable groove at the front and a cable groove at the back.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Makes more sense to route the shifter housing at the rear groove. Greater curvature, lesser friction and less acute angles. Or route them under the hb :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clm2206

by clm2206

Valbrona wrote:Certainly never saw a pro using 8 speed Ergopower with both cables routed together at the front. Everyone routed their cables separately in the early days of Ergopower - brake at the front and gear at the back.

This Bikerjulio sounds like a kid too young to have ever come across a handlebar with a cable groove at the front and a cable groove at the back.

Indeed. But I've noticed nowadays that both gear and brake are now routed at the front. And that was my very question, why now?