Favorite light weight mini pump and multi tool?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rms13

by rms13

I'm looking for a new mini pump and multi tool for rides. I have a frame pump on my steel bike but want one for the jersey pocket for my new carbon build. I have a cheap Bell multi tool that I've had for ever that is heavy and doesn't have everytihing I need. I would like a multi tool less then say 150 g that has allen wrenches, tire lever, spoke wrench and chain tool. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I use a spin dr tool from performancebike. It is heavy but does the job. Will not break like the extra light multi tools. Stick with what works

AJS914

by AJS914

I like the Lezyne pumps with the bottle cage mount. Relying on carrying a pump in my pocket means I would forget it every now and then.

McGilli

by McGilli

Just bought one of these - and it's great (tried it at home).

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000FIA ... ge_o02_s00

You can get the aluminum version for half the cost...

I use a ziplock sandwich bag for my repair kit - and the pump fits inside it no problem. So it's small... Comes with a great mounty for the frame which I wasn't expecting. Mounts using the same bolts that attach your water cage...

For multi tool I carry this. It actually gives you leverage as its a full size allen with heads. I see guys with multi tools with all these bits attached like a pocket knife and half the time they can't get any leverage using those...

http://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Swiss-A ... 78SVTCZ4YK

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

frame pump all the way. Topeak roadblaster! Yes its heavier than a mini pump, but works when you need it to work. If i am going to take something with me I will take something that will pump up my tires to 100psi without much effort.

Got a topeak mini tool works fine and its small enough. Kind of want to try fix it sticks next.

mrgray

by mrgray

lezny road drive mini - hose screws on. works for say 90 psi. lightweight.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

russianbear

by russianbear

Lezyne road drive for me. I have both the alu and carbon versions.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized EMT Pro wirh the 2mm cut down to remove the 90° end.
3x C02
2x levers
Lezyne patches
Bondhus 1.5mm with the ball end cut off (Specialized owners will know why)
3" piece of tube for a tyre boot
House key.

The hand pump stays home unless its a big ride, all of the other bits fit into a cheap little camera pouch. Reliability trumps weight every time when in the middle of nowhere.

Usually carry 2 tubes to suit whatever wheels I'm using. Should probably add a quick link to the kit.
Using Tapatalk

rms13

by rms13

r3awak3n wrote:frame pump all the way. Topeak roadblaster! Yes its heavier than a mini pump, but works when you need it to work. If i am going to take something with me I will take something that will pump up my tires to 100psi without much effort.

Got a topeak mini tool works fine and its small enough. Kind of want to try fix it sticks next.

That's what I have on my steel bike. I might pick up the park frame pump which has rubber mounts on both ends and adjusts to fit frame

Weight isn't huge deal. I do want a multi tool that has chain tool, tire levers and spoke wrench built in so I have all my useful tools together. The cheap tool I have now has Allen, Phillips and a bunch of wrenches I'll never need on the road. I'll probably get park or topeak 11 that are around $20

Rick

by Rick

Lezyne Road Drive mini.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Those Park frame pumps only adjust up to 55 cm in length, so if you ride a really large frame it may not fit.

Lezyne stuff is so tragically underwhelming...

Roel W

by Roel W

Blackburn Airstik SL: light and compact, attached to the frame but the pump is so smaal you wouldn't notice it.

rms13

by rms13

Stolichnaya wrote:Those Park frame pumps only adjust up to 55 cm in length, so if you ride a really large frame it may not fit.

Lezyne stuff is so tragically underwhelming...

The frame I'm building up is 54 so I should be ok there. From some reason I'm nervous about putting a frame pump on a carbon bike. My current Topeak frame pump has a hard plastic end on one side that sits against the frame and it also tends to rattle up against the top tube. I'm sure I'm overly paranoid about that since I have seen pros with them on their carbon bikes for training. But I would probably get the Park since it at least has rubber on both ends

VTBike

by VTBike

Geez louise guys.. What good is it being a WW and then loading your pack/jersey up with 3 lbs of tools? Really... how often do you use all that?

I pack the equivalent of a LeZyne V5.. just 3,4,5,6 allen keys and a phillips head. What else could you really need on a road bike ride? CHain breaker might come in handy.. for that 1 time every 5 years you break a chain. Just call the pit crew when that happens.. or a taxi..!

Also pack ONE tire lever, 1 CO2 and 1 lightweight tube. (will double to 2 CO2 and 2 tube on very long rides)

My typical rides are 30-50 miles, with the occasional 70-80 miler. I ride about 5-7k miles a year. Only ONCE did i need more than the above - my wife broke a chain. Luckily there was a farm nearby.. He got a huge pair of plyers out and we managed to fix well enough to get home.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I had two Blackburn airsticks that seemed pretty decent when new, but I rarely had to use them, and when I finally did have to use them they both (on separate bikes) wouldn't pump air because the seals or o-rings had shrunk. They had not dried out, just wouldn't create a seal. Then they both broke when trying to work on them to get them fixed.

I rarely need a pump, but got stuck 50 miles away from home after hitting a section of road infested with goatheads. Now I carry two tubes, two CO2 cartridges, and a mini pump along with spare patches and a tire boot. Nothing ruins a ride like flats and I'd rather carry the extra stuff and always be able to get going again. I also carry a spare quick-link because I broke a chain in a remote section of mountains.

It also seems like misfortunes tend to "cluster". I can go for thee months without so much as a single flat, then the next ride go through all my backup gear :noidea: