Favorite light weight mini pump and multi tool?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rms13

by rms13

I'm looking for a new mini pump and multi tool for rides. I have a frame pump on my steel bike but want one for the jersey pocket for my new carbon build. I have a cheap Bell multi tool that I've had for ever that is heavy and doesn't have everytihing I need. I would like a multi tool less then say 150 g that has allen wrenches, tire lever, spoke wrench and chain tool. Any suggestions?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I use a spin dr tool from performancebike. It is heavy but does the job. Will not break like the extra light multi tools. Stick with what works

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I like the Lezyne pumps with the bottle cage mount. Relying on carrying a pump in my pocket means I would forget it every now and then.

McGilli

by McGilli

Just bought one of these - and it's great (tried it at home).

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000FIA ... ge_o02_s00

You can get the aluminum version for half the cost...

I use a ziplock sandwich bag for my repair kit - and the pump fits inside it no problem. So it's small... Comes with a great mounty for the frame which I wasn't expecting. Mounts using the same bolts that attach your water cage...

For multi tool I carry this. It actually gives you leverage as its a full size allen with heads. I see guys with multi tools with all these bits attached like a pocket knife and half the time they can't get any leverage using those...

http://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-Swiss-A ... 78SVTCZ4YK

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

frame pump all the way. Topeak roadblaster! Yes its heavier than a mini pump, but works when you need it to work. If i am going to take something with me I will take something that will pump up my tires to 100psi without much effort.

Got a topeak mini tool works fine and its small enough. Kind of want to try fix it sticks next.

mrgray

by mrgray

lezny road drive mini - hose screws on. works for say 90 psi. lightweight.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

russianbear

by russianbear

Lezyne road drive for me. I have both the alu and carbon versions.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized EMT Pro wirh the 2mm cut down to remove the 90° end.
3x C02
2x levers
Lezyne patches
Bondhus 1.5mm with the ball end cut off (Specialized owners will know why)
3" piece of tube for a tyre boot
House key.

The hand pump stays home unless its a big ride, all of the other bits fit into a cheap little camera pouch. Reliability trumps weight every time when in the middle of nowhere.

Usually carry 2 tubes to suit whatever wheels I'm using. Should probably add a quick link to the kit.
Using Tapatalk

rms13

by rms13

r3awak3n wrote:frame pump all the way. Topeak roadblaster! Yes its heavier than a mini pump, but works when you need it to work. If i am going to take something with me I will take something that will pump up my tires to 100psi without much effort.

Got a topeak mini tool works fine and its small enough. Kind of want to try fix it sticks next.

That's what I have on my steel bike. I might pick up the park frame pump which has rubber mounts on both ends and adjusts to fit frame

Weight isn't huge deal. I do want a multi tool that has chain tool, tire levers and spoke wrench built in so I have all my useful tools together. The cheap tool I have now has Allen, Phillips and a bunch of wrenches I'll never need on the road. I'll probably get park or topeak 11 that are around $20

Rick

by Rick

Lezyne Road Drive mini.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Those Park frame pumps only adjust up to 55 cm in length, so if you ride a really large frame it may not fit.

Lezyne stuff is so tragically underwhelming...

Roel W

by Roel W

Blackburn Airstik SL: light and compact, attached to the frame but the pump is so smaal you wouldn't notice it.

rms13

by rms13

Stolichnaya wrote:Those Park frame pumps only adjust up to 55 cm in length, so if you ride a really large frame it may not fit.

Lezyne stuff is so tragically underwhelming...

The frame I'm building up is 54 so I should be ok there. From some reason I'm nervous about putting a frame pump on a carbon bike. My current Topeak frame pump has a hard plastic end on one side that sits against the frame and it also tends to rattle up against the top tube. I'm sure I'm overly paranoid about that since I have seen pros with them on their carbon bikes for training. But I would probably get the Park since it at least has rubber on both ends

VTBike

by VTBike

Geez louise guys.. What good is it being a WW and then loading your pack/jersey up with 3 lbs of tools? Really... how often do you use all that?

I pack the equivalent of a LeZyne V5.. just 3,4,5,6 allen keys and a phillips head. What else could you really need on a road bike ride? CHain breaker might come in handy.. for that 1 time every 5 years you break a chain. Just call the pit crew when that happens.. or a taxi..!

Also pack ONE tire lever, 1 CO2 and 1 lightweight tube. (will double to 2 CO2 and 2 tube on very long rides)

My typical rides are 30-50 miles, with the occasional 70-80 miler. I ride about 5-7k miles a year. Only ONCE did i need more than the above - my wife broke a chain. Luckily there was a farm nearby.. He got a huge pair of plyers out and we managed to fix well enough to get home.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I had two Blackburn airsticks that seemed pretty decent when new, but I rarely had to use them, and when I finally did have to use them they both (on separate bikes) wouldn't pump air because the seals or o-rings had shrunk. They had not dried out, just wouldn't create a seal. Then they both broke when trying to work on them to get them fixed.

I rarely need a pump, but got stuck 50 miles away from home after hitting a section of road infested with goatheads. Now I carry two tubes, two CO2 cartridges, and a mini pump along with spare patches and a tire boot. Nothing ruins a ride like flats and I'd rather carry the extra stuff and always be able to get going again. I also carry a spare quick-link because I broke a chain in a remote section of mountains.

It also seems like misfortunes tend to "cluster". I can go for thee months without so much as a single flat, then the next ride go through all my backup gear :noidea: