Favorite light weight mini pump and multi tool?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I've never broken a chain (been seriously riding for 35 years). Am I just lucky?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rms13

by rms13

VTBike wrote:Geez louise guys.. What good is it being a WW and then loading your pack/jersey up with 3 lbs of tools? Really... how often do you use all that?

I pack the equivalent of a LeZyne V5.. just 3,4,5,6 allen keys and a phillips head. What else could you really need on a road bike ride? CHain breaker might come in handy.. for that 1 time every 5 years you break a chain. Just call the pit crew when that happens.. or a taxi..!

Also pack ONE tire lever, 1 CO2 and 1 lightweight tube. (will double to 2 CO2 and 2 tube on very long rides)

My typical rides are 30-50 miles, with the occasional 70-80 miler. I ride about 5-7k miles a year. Only ONCE did i need more than the above - my wife broke a chain. Luckily there was a farm nearby.. He got a huge pair of plyers out and we managed to fix well enough to get home.

I hear you. I currently have a seat bag with 4 tire levers, my two piece Bell multi tool, one tube, one co2 cartridge and braker and it does feel like 3 lbs. I carry my frame pump on my steel bike since the bike is 19 lbs anyway. I think having two tire levers is good because I have snapped one before on very stubborn tire and it's also easier to use two levers to get off tight fitting tires....don't ask why I have 4 in my bag. A lot of people have convinced me a chain tool is good to have but I also agree that I carry my cell phone and credit card for a cab if it comes to that I have two chain tools at home that I never carry but I figure if a multitool has one why not. My current tool is heavy and comes in two pieces and for some reason the 6mm allen is on one part and the 3-5mm on another. If I could just carry one with all the allens that would be nice. But I have seen this Axiom tool that has everything I want on one tool and supposedly 132g

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271793557947?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

As for pumps, with my past experience I would rather have a decent pump than co2 (although both is good). But I've almost been screwed by having co2 only in the past

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I ride in the middle of nowhere and often have little to no reception so being self sufficient trumps the WW component on training rides. Besides carrying extra on training rides means your W/kg instantly goes up when you race hahahaha.
Using Tapatalk

andrew9

by andrew9

132g for a tool is real heavy, I think.

On my good bike I only need a 4mm allen key, at 7 grams. Everything I would likely need to tweak is 4mm. On my other bike I add a cut down 5mm, for additional 11 grams. I think the lightest thing is loose tools to suit the specific bike you are riding on. Why carry 8mm hex or a Torx if the bike doesn’t use them?

The only tool I’m missing is something to adjust the derailleur limits, but I’ve never needed to touch them on the road.

If I wanted to carry a chain tool, my Park CT5 is only 76 grams, and is better than many “workshop” models, and probably all multitool types.

For a pump, If I’m riding alone I carry an Airbone and a presta adaptor, at 58 grams, it’s a good little pump, but you need to be patient because it takes many, many pumps to get to 90psi. When I’m with a group and don’t want people waiting, I take a Topeak Pocket Rocket at 108g.
I can change tyres on all of my bikes without a tyre lever, so I don’t carry them

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

My new favorite mini tool is the Townie Syndicate TS Lever+, http://towniesyndicate.com/collections/frontpage/products/ts-lever-1. It includes Nylon tire lever, 4mm & 5mm hex, #25 torx, #2 phillips, and
3M MicroVelcro 15" strap for securing a tube (and CO2 cartridge and head). For a mini-pump I use a Lezyne road pump. I like the detachable hose; I don't break off or bend valve tips anymore.

dogma85

by dogma85

Rick wrote:Lezyne Road Drive mini.

This!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I carry a 5year old version of the Lezyne SV11 multi tool. It's never let me down and for 4years I used the chain breaker everytime I replaced chains (usually 3 chains per year) or built a new bike. Luckily I haven't broken a chain yet while out riding. I also carry a quick link just in case. I tuck the quick link and house key under the stretchy vinyl cover/band thing the multi tool came with. I highly recommend the Lezyne multi tools. I want the carbon version...just because I'm a weight weenie.

I carry a can of pitstop for punctures. I almost only ride tubulars (road) and usually change out worn tyres before theyre really worn as I find this helps reduce punctures. The roads where I live are pretty clean so i don't puncture often....touch wood.

Used to have a Lezyne road drive mounted with the water bottle cage mount. I like the pump but the last time I really needed it (1C and wet with sweat gets really cold really fast!!) i couldnt unscrew the hose as the threads had seized from lots of wet weather riding. I think they salt the roads here in winter. Greased the threads so it doesn't happen again....but have since bought a lighter pump...

Now, if I carry a pump, I generally take a PRO Team Carbon mini pump in my jersey pocket.which weighs 40g. Although in autumn when pockets are full of extra warm cloths, food maybe gloves if I'm climbing etc I may start mounting the Lezyne to the frame again.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

AJS914 wrote:I've never broken a chain (been seriously riding for 35 years). Am I just lucky?

Neither have I. But I did see an unlucky guy in a race break one last year. And recently saw a guy stuck on most ventoux because of one. Luckily for him his mate had a chain breaker. Made me feel a biybbettervabout carting around tye extra weight.

I know the day I start carrying a multi tool without a chainbreaker is the day I'll break a chain in the rain and have to wait an hour to pay a taxi $200 to get me home.

GaryOS

by GaryOS

I just purchased a Topeak Ratchet Rocket and used it for the first time today (my fat arse hit the saddle & it pitched forward). I don't take the case or tire levers with me, just the main tool as it is way less bulky. I love having a reversible ratchet to hand rather than working with a clunky fold-out tool. I've a couple of plastic tire levers & 2 CO2 cartridges at hand too.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/RatchetRocket

Kongbop

by Kongbop

I loves Lezyne's pump and Park tools mini tool which is micro rocket and AWS-10

mimason

by mimason

I have a Lezyne pump in my travel bag. Their multitools are good but I don't think they carry a 2.5mm hex(that I need) without going too bulky. PRO has some good stuff too.

uraqt

by uraqt

this is one of the lightest options, but you are going to have to add some other tools like the chain tool

http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Too ... orqbar_5nm

I think this Carbon Lezyne is the lightest but there is the new Richey tool that is much cheaper

http://ritcheylogic.com/cpr12-multi-tool

C

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Blackburn Airstik, Pedro's Tyre Lever, Crank Bros M10, universal derailleur hanger and Topeak Link 11 chain tool. Fits (bar the pump) in a sunglasses case with two light tubes, a couple of quicklinks, and a £20 note. I've never needed the chain tool for myself, but it folds down to the size of a cigarette lighter, so there's no bother in carrying it, and it's pulled several clubmates out of a hole, as has the hanger. That being said, I've run tubeless for a year and a half, so the pump and lever have been used exactly once.

dmp

by dmp

Park MT-1 (about 80g, I think) http://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productEnlarged/MT-1_002.jpg. It has everything I need (no chain tool, but (1) I have never needed one on the road and (2) with a Campy 11 speed chain, you need the peening tool, too, so it wouldn't help.

Topeak carbon Micro Rocket (about 55g): its no Silca track pump, but it will get to 70psi, albeit with a lot of pumping, weighs very little and fits easily in a jersey pocket. Its for emergencies only, right? I also carry one CO2 cartridge.

I also carry 2 Pedro's plastic tire levers, Park self adhesive patches, and 1 tube. It all fits easily in a little nylon case in my jersey pocket.

Marin

by Marin

Lezyne pump, Ritchey CPR 9

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com