2016 Roubaix with thru-axles?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chromag

by chromag

All the photos appear to show thru-axles on the 2016 Roubaix, but it is not mentioned in the description (unlike the Crux that explicitly states the update). Google search provides no press release from the big S or other media. Anyone confirm the change to frame/fork?

http://www.specialized.com/aw/en/bikes/ ... 2#features

S-Works Roubaix SL4 Disc Di2 - "Our highest grade, exclusive S-Works SL4 FACT 11r carbon frame is equal parts stiff, responsive, compliant, and smooth thanks in part to its compact race design and the vibration damping Zertz inserts. The Specialized FACT carbon fork comes in three different sizes with varying steerer diameters that optimize stiffness for that size, while also providing excellent steering response. Road chatter is also absorbed through the Zertz elastomer inserts."

While the Crux: "S-Works CruX - Our top-of-the-line FACT 11r carbon frame with rear thru axle takes advantage of our highest quality carbon production methods to create a bike that's as responsive as it is lightweight for the demands of 'cross racing. The internally routed, Specialized FACT carbon fork with thru axle increases steering response and rider input for the tight turns and all-out efforts demanded in CX."

Thanks,
DD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

I wonder if it's because there are still tons of Spec disc bikes with normal QRs still on showroom floors. I can't imagine buying a disc frameset without thru axles at this point. It's got to be a tricky marketing shift this year for manufacturers. The Tarmac in that 2016 has qrs, there is no disc venge shown. Probably more updates to come.

jeffy

by jeffy

12mm front and back?

interesting re: tarmac still on QR

jeffy

by jeffy

what *is* interesting is that the non sworks versions of the Roubaix Disc (that come with Shimano cranks) have a threaded BB.
(the Elite Rival/Gossamer has OSBB)

Ultegra has "carbon threaded", Tiagra has just "threaded"

chromag

by chromag

It looks obvious if you zoom in on the image. http://s7d5.scene7.com/s7/uviewer.jsp?a ... sbc%20zoom

Though, reading the Crux feedback, the thru-axle is specific to the proprietary SCS wheels. No additional options, and no ability to change the derailleur hanger (à la Tarmac rear spacing). I imagine that is why Spec is staying with the QR Tarmac, giving buyers options for training/racing wheels.

Customer Service Aug 13, 2015
SPECIALIZED Agent

Your only option is to use a Roval SCS wheelset for your 2016 thru axel Crux. Their are not other options currently available.

Correct, you cannot use an alternate hanger with this bike that makes it 135mm QR compatible.

And finally, yes it would be great to go back to threaded BBs. One can only hope.

jeffy

by jeffy

it is very clear on the nicely colored Fact10 / Threaded Carbon / Hydraulic Di2
(looks like 160mm front 140mm rear)

i wonder if they have just bonded in one of those FSA threaded OSBB/BB30 converters (or equivalent) and then called it threaded

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

they may be using the Praxis threaded collet press fit conversion BB. just a thought since they have spec'd the Praxis crank on numerous other models

spartan

by spartan

shimano has stated 142x12 rear TA/ 12 TA front will be what they support on the road side. caley fretz mentioned it during the tdf coverage.

everyone is moving to that std. watch for all the announcements at eurobike/interbike.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

jeffy

by jeffy

possibly a stupid question, but isn't 142 going to make chainlines on short chain stay race bikes even "worse" than 135mm did?
I am on 135 & QR front and rear and whilst i don't have any issue with them, i do hope that standards settle before i buy "future frame proof" wheelsets aka some 240/350 DT handbuilt 45mm carbon.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@jeffy: 142 thru has same chainline and rotor position as 135QR. The extra 3.5mm on each side of the axle is taken up in a socket in the dropout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chromag

by chromag

This visually shows the difference/similarity:

Boost 148 is a whole different story, but I digress.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com