Powertap P1 Pedal Power Meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

Has anyone here decided to commit to these?
Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Will be interested to hear how users find them long term, especially (for me) during a dirty, cold and wet Northern European winter.

DCRainmaker certainly seemed impressed in his review:

PowerTap P1 Power Meter Pedals In-Depth Review
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/powe ... eview.html

jeffy

by jeffy

No one here gone for these yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There's a few people using them on the timetrialling forum.
Initial reports seem favourable compared to Vectors for set up etc.

Only complaints seem to focus on the cleats being a bit hit or miss
Official cafe stop tester

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

On the plus side PT have always made reliable product that works.
On the negative they are heavy, bulky and the stack height a little much. Had a good look at a pair and they look pretty solid but too heavy to my liking.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

rambelli.f

by rambelli.f

jekyll man wrote:There's a few people using them on the timetrialling forum.
Initial reports seem favourable compared to Vectors for set up etc.

Only complaints seem to focus on the cleats being a bit hit or miss

Can you tell me on which posts of the timetrialling forum there is a discussion about P1 pedals?
Thanks.

Rick

by Rick

cwdzoot wrote:On the plus side PT have always made reliable product that works.
On the negative they are heavy, bulky and the stack height a little much. Had a good look at a pair and they look pretty solid but too heavy to my liking.

That is my feeling too.
My last experience with Look-style pedals/cleats was abysmal, so I am not tempted to try these.
I have been very satisfied with my Powertap hub though.

reqm

by reqm

jeffy wrote:No one here gone for these yet?

Been riding them for approx 500km so far. It was pretty much plug-and-play as described by DC Rainmaker. Put on the pedals and cleats and you're good to go.

My first experience with a power meter, so I can't comment on how it compares to others, but it's been working great for me without any issues. No signal drops and it pairs with Garmin just fine. It sometimes displays a message saying the right side hasn't been sync'd, but that can be disregarded.

I previously used Look pedals, so I got used to the new cleats right away. Just had to raise my saddle 2mm to compensate for stack height difference. As for the weight, it's about 250g heavier than my previous pedal system, but I barely notice it. I'm not that sensitive to slight changes in bike components so the experience might differ for you.

It comes with lithium batteries included, and after 500km of riding, the battery indicator still reads near new condition :)

havana

by havana

I've bought them about a month ago. Too early to tell whether they will survive the winter since the fall hast just begun here in The Netherlands.

So far, the pedals work fine for me. I had to adjust saddle height by 2-3 mm since the stack height was a bit different from my old Time RXS pedals.

I can confirm that the cleats are indeed Wellgo RC7, which can be ordered off eBay/Amazon for $10 per pair.

What else can I say: installation is dead easy and they do what they are supposed to do.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

cure

by cure

have yall been experiencing any spikes in unit and in file?

what unit heads are you using that aren't causing any issues? I have an edge 500. but wondering if there are differences between each unit.

dc rainmaker comments are helpful, but everyone seems to have issues with power spikes which throw all the data off...

these pedals are like 100g heavier than what I have and I have shimano spd ... im waiting for mine to arrive...I hope I don't have to go through that frustration :x
i love udon.

jeffy

by jeffy

from what i can tell, the power spike issue only happens with garmin head units - so it likely not a hardware issue, and fixable.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Why would you buy these over BePro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maquisard

by maquisard

jorisee01 wrote:Why would you buy these over BePro?

- Ease of installation, the P1s are the best option out there by far if you need to move the pedals between bikes regularly
- Powertap customer service. Someone will comeback and moan about poor service but the truth is that as a long running company Powertap have a good support system in place, both in the US and through their various distributors. I know that if I am in the UK and my Powertap product has issues it doesn't have to go all the way back to the US but rather to Paligap who and service and/or replace it.
- Durability and reliability, Powertap excel at this. DCR also highlighted the potential issues with the BePros.

I'll still take the P1s but I am hoping that the introduction of the BePros will force Powertap to lower the price a little more.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Has anyone used these either with lithium or eneloop rechargeable AAA batteries that can comment on battery life?

havana

by havana

I'm still using the original batteries. They last a lot longer than the claimed 60 hrs.

I think the fact that they are using regular batteries are also a big plus over the BePro's, which has internal rechargeable batteries. Battery life is a lot longer, and no issues with chargers / worn out connectors, and so on. And if the batteries run out while training, you could just stop a any gas station and buy new ones. You only need an allen key to replace them.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

DamenH85

by DamenH85

I've been riding a pair since August.

No problems pairing with my Garmin 500. Installation and calibration are quick and easy. I switch between 3 bikes, which is why I chose this setup over a power2max. No data drops, no spikes in the recording. I came from Look pedals, so not much of an adjustment for me.

I'm a happy camper so far.

damen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com