Today is not my day...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

What negative comment did the OP make?

Sounds like the wheel was broken beyond repair and a replacement is not available. He does not bitch about that, he has moved on and asked, what's next?

I too dislike the bitching and complaining before an answer was given, but this does not sound like it's the same.

tim7219

by tim7219

Thank you for the all touching reply, those two days i stay in hospital to checking my body and still healthy.

That day i'm rided my Dogma 65.1 with the lightweight meilenstein wheelsets, about 60km it give a clicking sound like "dick dick” from the front wheel (I think it is a stone's voice on the road at this moment)... But when I came to a roundabout, the front wheel was crash, then I fell to the ground....

i'm a 80Kg rider, i used the lightweight for all weather and all road... maybe the 16/20 spokes lightweight not better for my weight.... :(
Last edited by tim7219 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

now merged.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Harmitc

by Harmitc

At 80kg your towards the top end of the Obermayer recommended weight limit at 90kg, but if your riding a std Milenstein then the weight limit of 100kg is well within your all up ride weight. I am sure Lightweight have a "safety margin" built into these weights as they are sold to litigious countries. When you say you heard a "dick dick" do you think a stone or debris went through the wheel and damaged the spokes? Did you stop and check after you heard the noise and there was not visible damage? Lightweights are known for their strength so catastrophic failure is unusual?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Harmitc wrote:At 80kg your towards the top end of the Obermayer recommended weight limit at 90kg
If he was riding an Obermayer, he might have been closer than he knew to the weight limit. The Obermayer has a System Weight limit of 90 kg - that includes, rider, bicycle (including the wheels!!), all clothing, equipment, water bottles, water, etc. The Mellenstein's System Weight limit of 100 kg includes all that as well.

Edit: The OP state above they were meilenstein.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinozee

by tinozee

Just get Boras and be done with the hassle.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

HammerTime2 wrote:
Harmitc wrote:At 80kg your towards the top end of the Obermayer recommended weight limit at 90kg
If he was riding an Obermayer, he might have been closer than he knew to the weight limit. The Obermayer has a System Weight limit of 90 kg - that includes, rider, bicycle (including the wheels!!), all clothing, equipment, water bottles, water, etc. The Mellenstein's System Weight limit of 100 kg includes all that as well.

Yes, I ride Obermayers so I am aware it's an all up weight. But I'd be more interested to know if after the "dick dick" did he stop and check it wasn't damage caused by debris?

mrgray

by mrgray

hopefully you are well and nothing is broken! must have been a real shock for you. however when you are well we must have photos. and please confirm type? Meilenstein or Obermayer or Gips? Also any memory of pot holes etc prior to?

For such a failure one can only imagine the rim was cracked through. I don't reckon one spoke would have done it.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

kgt

by kgt

A rider weight of 80kg is not an issue at all. LWs are among the most reliable wheels. Even suitable for cx.
..."dick dick” clicking sounds... ok.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

kgt wrote:A rider weight of 80kg is not an issue at all. LWs are among the most reliable wheels. Even suitable for cx.

Agreed, I've been down some horrendous potholes on mine without a mark. I've also checked them with a DTI on a stand and again no movement at all.

But with any wheel carbon or conventional, if you hear a strange noise you would normally stop and check. Especially the front?

sawyer

by sawyer

tinozee wrote:Just get Boras and be done with the hassle.

+1
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

Boras are great wheels but not more durable or reliable than LWs.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

kgt wrote:Boras are great wheels but not more durable or reliable than LWs.

Agreed! I think a lot of people who comment have never owned or ridden LW's. They are tough and durable.

sawyer

by sawyer

Harmitc wrote:
kgt wrote:Boras are great wheels but not more durable or reliable than LWs.

Agreed! I think a lot of people who comment have never owned or ridden LW's. They are tough and durable.

So they should be at 3x the price of Bora Ones!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

And 10x the price of Campagnolo Zonda but that's ww...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com