2016 Trek Emonda SLR custom build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joqu

by joqu

Hi all,

I am going to build my own (project one?) Trek emonda SLR but i have some struggles and hope this can become an interesting discussion.

The frame is under no discussion, i want the Emonda!

Groupset is difficult; Dura ace, Dura ace Di2, SuperRecord (EPS?) or the SRAM red or maybe the electronic thats coming (i heard some very good responses from pro riders in the Tour de France)? i cannot seem to find the wheights of these 2016 groupsets. For now the Dura ace Di2 has a small advantage to the rest, but what with the wheight wrt the other groups?

Wheels, yeah i have the Tune Skyliner wheels so i'm good there. But i need daily wheels..
I really love the Bontrager aeolus D3 TLR. But are expensive for daily (rain, dirt, etc) use. I own a pair of Race X-lite TLR wheels now and i love them. So maybe these or the new paradigm wheels? Other brands are also possible.. So if you guys have good ideas, shoot! But the wheels can't get to heavy! :D

Saddle is a Bontrager RXXXL or fizik (airone?), but which one? Like them buth and ride with them both at the moment.

So what would you guys do? All ideas are :welcome:

thanks in advance

eagle34

by eagle34

I have a bike with mechanical Dura Ace, and Ultegra Di2 and personally I much prefer the mechanical over electronic. Plus you'll be a lot of money! I'm don't know much about Bontrager wheels, so I really don't know. For the saddle, I have a Fizik Antares and really like it, but I think the Bontrager matches the Trek more. Just my take...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Is this a weenie build? If so also consider 1x11 but skip the clutch derailleur which is a brick.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks like a solid build. I'm a mechanical guy, but I understand the draw of Di2. The RXL wheels are pretty light, well under 1500g. One thing you can do if you want to upgrade them is to upgrade the Star Ratchet to the 54T. It provides better engagement over the standard 18T.

Definitely look for a light-weight cockpit. You can save some weight by going with either the XXX handlebars or something comparable. The XXX stem doesn't save much weight over the RXL version, so you can skimp there.

I would definitely opt for the Speed Shop brakes. They are a good bit lighter than the DA9000 brakes.

Finally, as I've posted before, you can skip the SLR seatmast, but I would definitely go with the SLR seat clamp, if you're going with a carbon-rail saddle. That's where the largest weight loss is on the bike. It only comes in red, though, so keep that in mind.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Emonda with Record EPS would be lovely to see I think.

cth6

by cth6

Joqu,

Not sure if you have been to the P1 site since the 2016 changes, but Trek decided to limit the choices on P1. For example, no more 52/36 cranks. So much for having a true custom bike option on their site.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

CTH, are you referring to the trekbikes.com or the actual ordering site, that's only available to the shops? I checked with my dealer yesterday, and all chain ring options and cassettes are available, unless Shimano is restricting them (if they're sold out).

joqu

by joqu

@eagle34: Saddle choise will be more a comfort choise than optical, i do rides from 6hrs+ often.. Money-wise i first need to know what i want and than i can make descisions there.

@djconnel : Not an option :)

@FIJIGabe : I want the XXX stem and 9 of 10 will go for a FSA SLK.. (have this on my madone 7 superrecord and love it)
I have spoken to someone who has the Speed Stop brakes but is not pleased about them.. But i think i'll go for them! They just look mechanical. if you know what i mean :)

@cth6 : As i said above in this post, i own a Madone 7 Superrecord. I am going to build this to 53/39 and 11/23(or 25)
The Emonda is going to be 50/34 and a 11/25 or 12/25 and a 12/29 for the long heavy climbes (after 6hrs in the alpes i sometimes need this) But i'll concider the 52/36 option, but i think i will go for 50/34 for the short very steep hills (+20%)..

I think the bike with tune wheels will go under 6kg!
Does anyone have experiance with the Tune Skyliner wheels? I've bought them recent but didn't ride them yet..

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I find the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio comfortable and at 125g it's a good WW choice

If you are considering 50/34 with 12-25, I'd suggest you seriously consider a 1x system with 46 front and 11-32 cassette. No need for clutch mech on road if you ask me, just use Sram Red wifli

dino0204

by dino0204

In my opinion Fizik Antares 00 is a good compromise between weight and comfort.

I don't think so 1x system is a great option for road bikes... 50x34 crankset would be much better for look and usability

mattjevans

by mattjevans

dino0204 wrote:
I don't think so 1x system is a great option for road bikes... 50x34 crankset would be much better for look and usability

Potential for 100g weight saving though...

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

joqu wrote:(i heard some very good responses from pro riders in the Tour de France)

I've never really heard a pro say "Oh yeah, the drivetrain that I'm being paid to ride by my team and my sponsor is complete crap." I'll bet that even after Chain-gate Andy Schleck would have told you that his drivetrain's shifting was "solid" or "some of the best I've ridden."

joqu

by joqu

The 1x is no option for me..

There is a difference if you know them personally. In the press they will always say its great of coarse.. For the reasons you mentioned! And it's the correct thing to do, but back on topic..
But I am always a bit boubtfull on new products. There are always some mass production errors in new products.. So chance is small for this new group set!

Antares 00 is indeed one of my options open!

mimason

by mimason

I hope this does not turn into a mech vs electric thread......but I have DA mech and DA Di2. I prefer Di2 but it took me several weeks to come to that conclusion. I had to adapt a little in certain riding conditions like no longer hard pressing a corner with my right hand half way shifting and half way anticipating the need to feather some braking before and post radius. I can still finesse the same outcome with Di2 but there is no way to partially grab the lever just before engagement. What I did like more is that you can forget about it. Its just easier. I won't elaborate any further as you can research that in another thread.

Wheels I'd recommend would be hand build to your specs. Off the shelf Ultegras($300 ish) are cheap and good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dino0204

by dino0204

mattjevans wrote:Potential for 100g weight saving though...

I know, but weight it's not everything. If I'm wrong we can remove for example rear brake.