Help. Derailleur mounting bolt stuck

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GooseNest

by GooseNest

I need some help. Last night I went down pretty hard on my cross bike. I'm ok but I bent my derailleur hanger pretty bad. When I got home I tried to take my rear derailleur off so I could align my hanger. Here is where I ran into the problem. The mounting bolt just wouldn't turn, its a SRAM apex rear derailleur. What I think happened is that the mounting bolt actually bent in the hanger. In the process I completely stripped the mounting bolt. I have two questions. Does anyone know a way to get the mounting bolt off without ruining the rest of the derailleur? I have a spare Force rear derailleur with a snapped rear cage. If I manage to get my Apex derailleur off without hurting it, is there a way to swap the force mounting bolt to the Apex rear derailleur?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Cross sucks at eating rear derailleurs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aronjancso

by aronjancso

If you have a replaceable hanger, then you could try to cut the mounting bolt where it enters the hanger. Doesn't sound easy, but can be done. So you will need to replace just the bolt and the hanger.

rmerka

by rmerka

Would probably be easier to cut the hanger after removing from the frame as they are typically pretty soft aluminum. A straight cut on opposing sides is what I'd shoot for. If you have a screw extractor that might work too if you could get enough bite in the stripped out allen hole.

aronjancso

by aronjancso

Good point, that sure sounds easier.

GooseNest

by GooseNest

Update: I ended up drilling through the inside of the mounting bolt. I used a drill bit exactly the same diameter as the bolt. This worked really well. I then just replaced the bolt with the one from my force derailleur. I ended up finding a SRAM service manual for an XX1 derailleur, but they were exactly the same. Thanks for the other advice. I did attempt to cut it but the only blade I had was for cutting carbon and it didn't really work that well.

rmerka

by rmerka

Glad you got it sorted out :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com