'Non Paired' Chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I notice that companies are these days heavily into pairing chainrings, like 36/46 or 34/50 or 36/52, which is great if you want to use those combinations.

For those that don't there are Stronglight and TA rings. But are there any other quality chainrings where the largest isn't designated for use with any particular smaller one.

I am using 34/46.

Thanks.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

CT2 46/33 along with 12-25 and 11-23, without much desire to change.

Do Praxis recommend pairing?
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You can use any outer/inner combination you want as long as the lateral spacing is correct.

Manufacturers just love claiming things are incompatible, I wonder why...

Delorre

by Delorre

Marin wrote:You can use any outer/inner combination you want as long as the lateral spacing is correct.

Manufacturers just love claiming things are incompatible, I wonder why...

Incompatible is maybe one step to far, but I can understand that combining chainrings that are not designed as a duo, can deteriorate shifting a little bit. I've used campy for year in a 50-39 combo, and shifting was more than OK, althoug maybe not a smooth as with the intended 34 inner. I think you can go ahead without to much risk. Only exception : DA9000 + DI2, with reported big ring failure due to not authorised combo's (50-39 to name one..) I've currently 50 - 36 on my 9000 crankset. Experience will tell if everything keeps going strong.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I've had a case, though it was MTB, in which shifting from small to big was close to impossible due to rings that were incompatible.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I run Campagnolo Super Record 11 rings in a 36-50 combo that are not "paired". They shift fine, but there is the occasional crunch from not having perfect timed ramps as in a correct pair. EPS muscles it across with no problem though.

-Eddie

headwind816

by headwind816

I've been running 50/36t FSA super chain rings (11-speed rated, meh) for 2 years with no issues. I know FSA states the 50t should be paired with a 34t and that the 36t should go with a 52t (strangely enough, the 36t does not include a pairing for 46t), but I find the 50/36t combo to fit all my needs.

HTML

by HTML

Currently using a 33t (11spd) inner with a unramped 46t (10spd) outer ring on 11 speed Di2. Never misses a beat. Both chainrings are made by Stronglight.
Last edited by HTML on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

39-55 Campy 11. 10spd front der. Works fine for me.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Philbar72

by Philbar72

53/36 and 52/36 on both bikes one with DI2 and the other with normal ultegra 6800.perfect.

benzebub

by benzebub

planning to go 50/36 on ultegra 6800.. any experiences with this combo?
But I could be wrong

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Look at it this way: If you poke your nose into the back of any pro team service truck you'll find a myriad of chainring sizes, both inner & outer. It'll work just fine. That said, I've been trying to get a TA 50t chainring to work on a campag 11v setup & whilst it's fine in most sprockets it just makes a racket in the larger ones. I'd go do far as to say it'll work fine provided you stay with the same make of chainring.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

tabmaster wrote: If you poke your nose into the back of any pro team service truck you'll find a myriad of chainring sizes, both inner & outer.

But you don't ... you only get the set sizes that manufacturers/re-sellers choose to sell. The notable exception being the pro-teams that have run Stronglight, like Cofidis, where they have had a wide range of rings to choose from.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Valbrona wrote:
tabmaster wrote: If you poke your nose into the back of any pro team service truck you'll find a myriad of chainring sizes, both inner & outer.

But you don't ... you only get the set sizes that manufacturers/re-sellers choose to sell. The notable exception being the pro-teams that have run Stronglight, like Cofidis, where they have had a wide range of rings to choose from.

I never said anything about the ready availability of non standard size chain rings, I just said that they'd almost certainly work just fine! If it's made then the profs will have access to it. I acknowledge that us mere mortals getting our mitts on it is another kettle of fish altogether, but that's not to say it can't be done!
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11