Upgrading entry level carbon bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jonnyf

by jonnyf

Hi all!

So I've been cycling for over 2 years now and want to do more competitions/sportives. I've seen an unbelievable 2014 top of the range bike with a near 40% discount which is really light and has an excellent groupset. The bike is still expensive for sure - but I am ridden with guilt about buying it and am in two minds.

Any words of wisdom for a man in a position which many of you must have been in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

If you can afford it and you want it.. get it and ride the wheels of it.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Are you going to give us details?

jonnyf

by jonnyf

phollingswo wrote:Are you going to give us details?

What kind of details? It's under 7kg, Chorus groupset.

Current bike probably 13/14kg, veloce groupset - currently have Campagnolo zonda wheels which I'd swap over

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Details like what the bike is (frame, groupset etc, finishing kit), what the price is etc. Seems strange that you're being so cryptic? Can't really give an objective opinion on whether you should buy it or not without knowing what it is you're buying! It could be a terrible frame in which case people here would be able to say oh no don't get that it's known for X, Y and Z.

I have 2015 Chorus mechanical and can testify that that part of the bike is excellent though.

KCookie

by KCookie

I was in the same position, with only a little guilt thought, as the deal I got was just to good to pass in. Once you get out on the open road with a grin from ear to ear you forget all about the small fortune you've just spent. I say go for it, you'll have no regrets. !!!

jgilesband

by jgilesband

Lots of guys on here spend ridiculous amount of money on just one single component - lightweight owners I am talking about you - so it is all relative to your comfort level.

Some here have multiple top level bikes. If that is not you and you DO ride a great deal then go for it.

I am on my 4th bike in 5 years. With every new/used bike I have upgraded in some way. Would have been a lot easier to get what I wanted the first time around.

rms13

by rms13

What is the bike? How much does it cost? How much can you realistically afford? I'm assuming you can't afford it otherwise you wouldn't be riddled with guilt by the mere thought of it

AJS914

by AJS914

To the original poster. It looks like you have proven yourself by actually riding your current bike so I say go for it and enjoy it. I rode a Litespeed for 20 years. It was my first high end frame and I kept modernizing it and upgraded the group 3 times over the years. Good equipment can last a long time and you can get a lot of value out of it.

One way I've looked at cycling equipment is that I can't afford a new Porsche GT3 but I can afford the bicycle equivalent and have lots of fun with it. And I do it on a budget. I can't see myself spending $10K on a bike so I find deals and used stuff in like-new or excellent condition and get there that way.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

jonnyf wrote:
phollingswo wrote:Are you going to give us details?

What kind of details? It's under 7kg, Chorus groupset.

Current bike probably 13/14kg, veloce groupset - currently have Campagnolo zonda wheels which I'd swap over

Your current bike, assuming it's still the Wilier Izoard XP, is more likely to be around 8.5kg than 14.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jonnyf

by jonnyf

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

I hit the button on it. It's a Wilier Zero 7 Chorus. Going from a Wilier Izoard XP. The bike never fit me anyway was sold a size too big when I was a clueless newbie. I\m purely going from reviews that the Zero 7 is a beast of a bike and I do hope it's the last bike I'll buy.

So there goes the new kitchen and the Mrs upset!