Torque on Campagnolo levers (Carbon bars)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Westbank

by Westbank

Campagnolo is recommending 10 N/m of torque when mounting the levers on the handlebar. I'm installing these levers on a Ritchey Superlogic handle bar and just wanted to make sure 10 N/m is not too high for the handlebar. Ritchey doesn't indicate the max torque anywhere.

em3

by em3

Apply sufficient torque to hold levers on bars without exceeding the recommended torque spec (BTW, is that MAX torque or recommended torque spec'd by Camapagnolo?....two very different things). Specifically, start with about 5-6 Nm, if that holds your levers firmly, then u r done. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Westbank

by Westbank

The 10N/m is recommended by Campagnolo.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I usually torque them to 8

Delorre

by Delorre

Be carefull, after some years of use, my superlogic evocurve is seriously marked by the levers. And it's not the paint, but the carbon itself that looks like it's pressed in. I can't determine i the bars are shot, but I won't use them anymore. Levrs torqued down to 8 nm is a on the high side with light, thin-waled carbon bars.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Use carbon paste as well & go to a lower torque.

borinomi

by borinomi

carbon handlebar has enough stiffness to mount levers. it's OK

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Delorre wrote:Be carefull, after some years of use, my superlogic evocurve is seriously marked by the levers. And it's not the paint, but the carbon itself that looks like it's pressed in. I can't determine i the bars are shot, but I won't use them anymore. Levrs torqued down to 8 nm is a on the high side with light, thin-waled carbon bars.

It's not talked about much but it's generally good policy to swap handlebars and stems our after 2 to 3 seasons anyway - the lighter the bar or stem, generally, the greater the risk - thinking in terms of when a bar or stem will fail and what the consequences might be - worth remembering that some degradation of resins used to bind carbon together takes place in UV, so it's a time-related thing as it's about exposure as well as about stress.

Had a customer come to us at Ride London with a set of name alloy 'bars in two halves, failed at the bar clamp, no sign or over-torque - 4 years old, his estimate 500 km / month on average ... it doesn't happen often and he was lucky (soft landing on the verge at Box Hill) but it's advice we give ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

BrunoDMS

by BrunoDMS

For those using superlogic bars: I wrote to Ritchey Logic technical support. Max torque is 5Nm for superlogic bars
___

Sorry I don't speak English

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com