Reynolds Assault SLG repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brightboy

by brightboy

Had an accident on the weekend and pulled a couple of spokes out of my Reynolds Assault SLG front wheel ie. the spoke nipples pulled through and enlarged the nipple hole in the rim. Is it feasible to have the rim repaired? The wheel is otherwise OK visually, just 2 of the spoke holes are enlarged. Would need an ultrasonic scan to know for sure though.

My local bike shop where I bought the wheels has contacted the Australian distributor who said that my only option at the moment is to buy a complete new set of wheels! I can't even buy just a new front wheel, let alone buy a new rim and re-lace the hub onto it. They did give him a price for the rim-only even though they can't supply it. It was more expensive than a new front wheel! Which they also can't/won't supply....

I sent off an email to a carbon tester/repairer here in Melbourne so I'll see what they say. Anyone got any suggestions for sourcing a new rim or whether a repair is possible/advisable?

Cheers

Paul
Ridley Helium 2011 - SRAM Red - 4ZA Cirrus Pro C50s
Bianchi Infinito CV 2014 - SRAM Red 22 - Reynolds Assault SLG

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Maybe you should try Reynolds RAP.
http://www.reynoldscycling.com/support/assurance/
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brightboy

by brightboy

Frankie - B wrote:Maybe you should try Reynolds RAP.
http://www.reynoldscycling.com/support/assurance/

Ahhh hindsight.... if I have to buy another complete set, I'll definitely get it 8)
Ridley Helium 2011 - SRAM Red - 4ZA Cirrus Pro C50s
Bianchi Infinito CV 2014 - SRAM Red 22 - Reynolds Assault SLG

sharkman

by sharkman

The guy that builds my wheels stil has a few sets of 2014 assault clincher rims in stock.
2015 slg rims both clincher and tubular (without the renolds logo) are also available)
Although these are in europe you miight be able to build a much nicer set with better hubs

Delorre

by Delorre

Do you have a link to his website Sharkman? Living in Belgium, it could be intresting ;-)
Last edited by Delorre on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

The rims certainly cannot be repaired in that circumstance, however there may be some of the old Assault rims still around if you can find them.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

sharkman

by sharkman

Hi delorre
Try wheel tec which is not too far away from you (they also ship and have several belgian customers)

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I had the same issue and contacted Reynolds customer service directly. They shipped me a new rim for a discounted price and even threw in a set of spokes for free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

^^This.

I had a customer that rolled a tubular a few years back. Contacted Reynolds and ordered a new rim. This is in the US though. At the time is was about 400usd just for the rim.