Campagnolo 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I have a cervelo s3 with campagnolo 11 speed that I just built up. My first 11sp. The cervelo has a BBright and I have a rotor crank set for it. My issue is ... The cassette jumps a bit only when in the small ring up front. When in the big ring it shifts perfectly. Everything is brand new. I installed the 1mm spacers on each crank arm side. I am wondering if that has thrown the chain line off.

Any ideas what might cause that type of shifting problem?
Just thought I would ask before I start a trial and error method.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Have you checked rear dropout alignment?

Your case is typical of misalignment there: the cage moves the upper pulley depending on how much chain it has to pull. As the derailleur is misaligned, if you adjust for big ring the upper pulley will be closer to the outer right side of the bike. Shift to small and it'll move towards the center as it moves forward, especially on small cogs as it is when the upper pulley is more forward.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I did check it before the build. That was one of the first things I did when unpacked the frame. I will check it again tho.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Definitely double-check not just the gear hanger alignment but also that the fixing bolts are tight to the frame.

Make sure the cassette is properly torqued down (40 nm is required - yes, I know it sounds a lot but 90% of the cassettes we see are nothing like tight enough and it can cause all sorts of issues, poor indexing on one or both rings amongst them).

If it's 2015 11s, check the dropout shape relative to Campag's spec- you may need to use the B screw to adjust for the position of the stop on the dropout.

Check the setting on the H screw so that the upper jockey of the rear derailleur tracks the cassette properly.

Also in cases where the indexing is correct on (say) the big ring but "off" on the small ring (or vice versa) it's worth checking for gear cables crossed inside the frame - tension on the FD cable (or lack of it) can influence tension on the RD cable so upsetting the indexing. Not uncommon.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

maybe tight chain link, or too long of a chain. other issues to check are limit screws of rear derailleur, closeness of chain pulley to the cassette.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

As a side note, since it was mentioned, I would definitely recommend picking up a wheels manufacturing derailleur hanger. Notorious problem for the R3/R5. Usually with the stock one if a butterfly lands on it wrong it will bend out of shape. Cheap (<$25) and significant upgrade.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Yea, I Checked hanger again. It's good.
Cassette lock ring is tight...my torque wrench won't fit my lock ring tool tho, but I've never noticed any problems there.
B screw looks like it was off. I ended up watching a YouTube video on it. I am pretty sure that was it.
But I will take it out later and try it out.
I am wondering about the chain length as well. It's a 52/36 with 23 cassette. Might see about shortening the chain

Glasshopper

by Glasshopper

My first post here don't flame me if I got this wrong but have you checked you have complete 2015 group set? Campy have done a revision that's not backward compatible with 2014 back that if set up with parts of different years causes some of the problems you mention.

Look for an A Stamp for the 2015 11+ GS. I would suspect derailleur or shifter as the shift lengths have changed.

Just a thought

Cheers

Gregorio

by Gregorio

It's all '15 model year.
It was Definately the B screw adjustment. All good now.
Thank you for all the help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com