Stainless vs chromoly skewers - least flex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michel2

by michel2

veloflex make's horribly narrow tyres.

it seems very od that your tires seem to rub on your frame, was it a one of or does it happen frequent ?
easiest path of elimination is a different wheel, if you have a spare rear wheel, that way you quickly find out whether there is some wrong with your frame or wheel.

second to that, the zip's your talking about, do they have a wide rim by any chance ?
thanks, mick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Edu24h

by Edu24h

Definetely titanium skewers, try to bend a ti tanium skewer and later a chromoly one.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

GP4000s tubs are 22mm not 23mm.

mattr

by mattr

The 23 mm gp4000s clinchers we've just taken off my mates bike were massive, we've tried 23mm vittoria cx tubs (on different wheels), schwalbe one and also some Michelin pro4sc (same size, same wheel) and all give around 2-3mm extra clearance on diameter.
The only tyres I had that came close to the gp4000s were some 25mm Michelin lithions (which were the same size pretty much, and rubbed) and some 4seasons in 25mm, which went in, but wouldn't turn.

Titanium22

by Titanium22

I have a Ti Frame, with cowelled dropouts. This means I cant find a skewer that folds up vertically or into the half way point between the seat and chain stays.

All the skewers I have tried will only face backwards.

I have tried Shimano XT, (as I had them lying around)
Tune "AC14" I think, the ones with the bent Ti Lever. (these were not good as the lever has no stop, and could go into the spokes. If folded to wards the cowel, as per the instructions, it would not close).
J&L Ti, amaziingly light, but not enough clamping force (Creaking when pedalling), again only close in the rear position.

I now have Dura ace 9000, As everyone says how great they are.

Here's my problem's with them.

1. They are heavy, not just a bit, but boy they couldn't have made them any heavier.
2. They still don't clear the cowelled dropouts.
3. With the lever on the NDS, as most are, and pointing backwards, the writing is upside down!

Has any one found any decent skewers that are light, might clear the dropouts, and don't creak?

Can the Dura ace skewers be tuned? Change spindle?

Qman

by Qman

What about using a skewer that doesn't have a lever, like Tune Skyline or Control Tech Race. They're not for everyone, and you need to carry a tool, but it would solve your problem.
20 or 30 gram skewers + a tool will be lighter than Dura Ace skewers.

Titanium22

by Titanium22

Qman wrote:What about using a skewer that doesn't have a lever, like Tune Skyline or Control Tech Race. They're not for everyone, and you need to carry a tool, but it would solve your problem.
20 or 30 gram skewers + a tool will be lighter than Dura Ace skewers.

Thank you, I thought about this, but didn't really want to carry another tool. I have seen some that are allen bolt style, so the multi tool would perhaps fit, but probably awkwardly.

It's bad enough when you get a flat, without having the extra inconvenience of having to find a tool to unbolt the wheel, and knowing me, I will have lost it in the workshop, on the ride or just plain forgotten it :noidea: