Saddle Suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mleebee

by mleebee

Just picked up a Bontrager Affinity Pro 148 and it weighed in at 156g. That is the widest, heaviest version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Ever thought of going for a Berk Saddle? I've personally went from a Specialized Toupe S-Works 143mm to the 132mm Berk. Surprisingly, it's actually more comfortable.

laspariahs

by laspariahs

Antares 00

kafreeman

by kafreeman

wheelsONfire wrote:I have Scratch CPC with nack rails and i do prefer Nago EVO PAS.

Ordered a Scratch and an Evo from Arts. Will see how they are.

MNX1024 wrote:Ever thought of going for a Berk Saddle? I've personally went from a Specialized Toupe S-Works 143mm to the 132mm Berk. Surprisingly, it's actually more comfortable.

Never heard of Berk. Will check them out.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Road an Antares VSX today and it was like sitting on BB's. Got down on the drops and had a lot of pressure on the perinial area if I rolled my hips forward.

dino0204

by dino0204

I had Selle Italia SLR, Prologo Nago Evo, Fizik Tundra, Arione and another cheaper models. For me the best saddle with foam is Fizik Antares 00. (I don't know how works another Antares, but this one I don't need to change) :)

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I think one of the Prologo's will be the one for me. Took each for a quick trip around the block today and both feel good with a quick sit.

I've never heard of the brand before, learning a lot from this site.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have so many saddles and i buy new from time to time. Today i did what i should have done long time ago.

I borrowed a dremel and decided to do something with my Antares 00.

If you turn saddle upside down, you'll see that there is a yellow field marked. I decided to remove the material inside this field.

First i took off first layer which was followed by a green, quite firm foam.

Underneath this is a second carbon layer. I tested to ride like this, but i did still had pressure on perineum region.

I should say, it still is better than standard, a bit more flex.

Anyway, i decided to go deeper and remove the last layer of carbon.

Under this layer is the foam we sit on. I did not cut the saddles surface or this foam, so if seen from above, it looks like standard.

To my surprise this beat all of Fizik saddles i have tested. VS and VSX i dislike, they are horrible IMO.

Now i have a firm and comfortable base for sitbones and lowering body riding in drops feels extremely comfortable as the cut region now is gone.

This allows both saddle shell and padding to follow your movement.

If you have the full carbon Antares 00 and feel it's putting pressure on your perieum region, just go ahead and try this!

It's not like any other saddle i have with relief channels or cut outs. The base of Antares is just different from many other saddles.

Oh, try to be outside if you do this because there is lots and lots of carbon dust when you dremel the base.

This is like a new saddle that much i can say! As a bonus, it is even lighter...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Pics [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nefarious86, it looks like a standard Antares 00.

EDIT: Removed synthic leather patch.

There are two other ways, either buy pre-preg carbon and cover the cut out, or use something like an ass saver.

Simply cut out a piece (from the ass saver) and glue ( i used super glue) over the cut out.

Don't glue the padding, glue the patch which is cut to attach at the carbon shell.

This allows same flex of the shell, but hinder the padding to be pressed down as much as with syntetic leather.

Here you can view the yellow marked region which i removed.

My saddle is fixed on the bike now and i thought i use this picture instead, for you to see what i talk of.

When you ride on the hoods you have sitbones on the stiffer part of saddle, when you go lower and if you rotate your perineum more into the shell, the saddle

will have much more "give". This will help you not to put pressure on perineum. Neither do you have any edges or such to squeeze soft tissue between.

For me this has been an unique change. So this is not like Kurve either. Part from that, it is a saddle very well padded but not too much or too little.

Standard Antares 00 is much stiffer as it is reinforced so it basically won't have any give.

You get the shape of Antares 00 which might be nice for some peoples sit bones (very flat side to side) apart from that, this is like a completely other saddle.

If you don't like shells that do flex, don't do this to your saddle.
Attachments
antares002_0.jpg
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Been on the Prologo Nago Evo,decided to try the Antares 00. Not bad, crazy light, only thing that bugs me is the warning to not exceed a 1000 N load on the saddle. I am close to 100 kg as it is, so I would think a decent pothole I can't avoid would do it.

Went 54 miles on a Labor Day ride on the Nago Evo. I can't say anything about my butt, however my left foot on the other hand was killing me.

G6612

by G6612

I may have a SLR superflow 145 for sale in the next week or so, I actually may have three. I like the Superflow but I am going to try to go to a Selle SMP. It's about a week for delivery so if you have some time I will let you know if I am going to part with them. PM me if you are interested.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I think I have settled on the Scratch Pro. Spent four hours on it Saturday with no issues. I didn't get the foot numbness I had on the Nago Evo.

Tried a Fizik R3, it's similar to the Nago Evo, but something just doesn't feel right about it. Might give it another shot. Just feels like I can't get centered on it and I'm shifting from one side to another as the ride goes on.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

lella81

by lella81

If you want comfort saddle, doesn't feel any pain your bottom I strongly recommend Prologo scratch pro NACK.

SLR super flow(wide cut-out) is good for pain but feel lost some power.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Switched about 3 months ago from a forever Selle Italia customer to a Selle SMP customer

God, I've never ridden a saddle so comfy!!!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com