Di2 for British winter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Yes extra dry gloves are the only way!

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments but now I realise I would also need a winter Di2 frame with mudguard and rack mounts and clearance for 28mm tyres. I want internal cables but don't want to drill holes and would prefer not to have redundant mechanical cable guides. I have just realised that there are unlikely to be many candidates, doh. Grateful for suggestions.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

If you want to run discs, I really like my Niner RLT 9. The entry points for the internal cable routing come with both mechanical and Di2 plugs. Clearance for 35s and guards if you want to take it that far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keith

by keith

Gloves .... most gloves I've tried let in water after a while. I'm finding neoprene ones are really good ... My hands aren't dry at all, but they are warm! I use the Assos ones.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

borinomi

by borinomi

Just charge and forget

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks to all and especially campbell for the niner info. I will look more closely

campbellrae

by campbellrae

If you want to have a look at it let me know, it sounds as if we live close by. I'm in the centre of Glasgow.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks, I have just found Bowman who are a new company and have a frameset called Pilgrim with Di2 plugs. Might be good if it takes cable discs but they are so new it looks like they don't have stock yet!

androidavies

by androidavies

There's a new bike by Genesis, called the Datum, one of them is offered with Di2, hydraulic discs and Ultegra 11 speed. It has a carbon frame/fork, and clearance for 30mm tyres and mudguards too…. I can't recall the pricing, but you'll find it I'm sure!

Here: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/28/0 ... -new-datum

I haven't seen one yet.

As for gloves in Scotland, and similar Northern Countries, I recommend Outdoor Research ice climbing ones.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/alti-gloves.html

Like you, I must have 30-40 different gloves, but those stayed dry for hours whilst mtn biking in sleet and rain. Another great thing in our winter is one of the so-called aero helmets, I can't believe they haven't cottoned on to marketing them as a winter item. The full shell ones keep your head so much warmer, and stop the water soaking whatever headgear you have on, highly recommended! And finally, Pearl Izumi Amfib tights are waterproof, and don't have stirrups, so you can have them over the tops of overshoes to stop the water running down into your shoes, the Gore goretex shell overshoes are good, but better on top of two other pairs as well, and duct tape over those daft holes they put in the soles of shoes!

With apologies for going a bit off the original topic…...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

androidavies wrote:Ditto for the cold, numb hands! I also found that I couldn't feel the Shimano buttons/switches at all with thick gloves on, which is largely why I opted for Campag EPS, there's no missing the Campag switches no matter how bad your hands get.

Best start saving for a disc brake Di2 set up…. Then rims will last more than 6 months as well!

Don't bother with cable Disc if you're going all out, R785 is night and day. As for the wet feet, Velotoez work wonders at keeping the water out :)
alanmclean wrote:Thanks, I have just found Bowman who are a new company and have a frameset called Pilgrim with Di2 plugs. Might be good if it takes cable discs but they are so new it looks like they don't have stock yet!
Using Tapatalk

Philbar72

by Philbar72

6870 user, no issues in winter at all.

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

androidavies wrote:and duct tape over those daft holes they put in the soles of shoes!

So true. Maybe pump some silicone sealant into the vents and cleat mounting holes, works a treat. :)

Will that Genesis finally be the bike that's worthy of replacing your Cannondale Andrew?

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks all,

Genesis Datum looks great but has press fit BB which is an extra pain and is carbon so no rack mounts which I need for commute. very little else out there.

Comments noted on hyraulic brakes but I want cables which I can service and a bit lighter.

will report back if I get the Bowman and build it up.

Alan