Di2 for British winter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi

Does anyone have long term experience of Di2 in a UK winter? Can it stand up to the repeat salt rinses and grit? Does it need any maintenance or special care? Or just charge and forget?

Regards

Alan

Grill

by Grill

Charge and forget, although I'd wrap the b-junction in electrical tape as a precaution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

7970 Di2, had it for 4 years on both winter and summer bikes. Zero issues and zero maintenance.

androidavies

by androidavies

We have a number of customers in Edinburgh area who have been using Di2 through the past few winters. At first I was a bit concerned, as none of them had any history of looking after their bikes, which usually started dissolving and seizing before they would do anything about the problems arising, usually too late…..

Pleased to report that there have been no problems with the Di2 at all. Lubing the gear pivots from time to time, and normal cleaning should be all you need. You'll still wear out chains and sprockets of course!

I've also been running Campag Athena EPS through the last 4 Winters, and it continues to function perfectly, although the rear mech top pivot is pretty worn now. No electrical problems whatsoever.

dha

by dha

Another here who has ran 6770 and 9070 year round and have had no issues.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

When my record 10 speed wears out I will put campagnolo Eps on the genesis. This is my all year round commuter. The problem is I might have to wait a while.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks for all replies. Sometimes my hands are so cold I have to use the right hand to shift into big ring. Di2 would be a luxury but maybe worthwhile if the electrics can survive as you suggest.

Special thanks Androidavies, I am in Glasgow so same weather, same salt, same black paste on everything!

androidavies

by androidavies

Ditto for the cold, numb hands! I also found that I couldn't feel the Shimano buttons/switches at all with thick gloves on, which is largely why I opted for Campag EPS, there's no missing the Campag switches no matter how bad your hands get.

Best start saving for a disc brake Di2 set up…. Then rims will last more than 6 months as well!

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

alanmclean wrote:Thanks for all replies. Sometimes my hands are so cold I have to use the right hand to shift into big ring. Di2 would be a luxury but maybe worthwhile if the electrics can survive as you suggest.

Special thanks Androidavies, I am in Glasgow so same weather, same salt, same black paste on everything!

If thats your main issue, some decent golves would be a cheaper solution.

If they can keep their hands warm at the south pole, I'm sure you can do the same up in Scotland.

mimason

by mimason

No salt added but yesterday I just did an imperial century riding 3 full hours out of 4:30 in pouring rain(florida style with lightening), and massive puddling. Its the most water I've even experienced on a bike......DI2 perfect but Garmin 500 drank some h20.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

WeightySteve wrote:
alanmclean wrote:Thanks for all replies. Sometimes my hands are so cold I have to use the right hand to shift into big ring. Di2 would be a luxury but maybe worthwhile if the electrics can survive as you suggest.

If thats your main issue, some decent golves would be a cheaper solution.

If they can keep their hands warm at the south pole, I'm sure you can do the same up in Scotland.

Thanks for comments but dry cold is easy! We ride in 2 deg rain here, no gloves work after a couple of hours. I should know, I have loads of them!

53x12

by 53x12

I have been using Di2 for 2 years. No issues at all with it. Rain. Snow. Cold. It just works and performs the same exact shift each time. Shouldn't be any problem for you.

Regarding gloves, I have had the best experience with Gore-Tex riding gloves. Stay warm and dry. Even in rain.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/gore- ... gtx-gloves
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks but gore-tex, sealskin, neoprene, lobster claw, inners, outers, whatever, I have a bucket of them. All great for 60 mins then useless. Fortunately I am usually distracted from my cold fingers by my freezing feet. :D

53x12

by 53x12

I'm serious, my hands stay 100% dry from outside moisture (rain or snow). These have been amazing for those winter rides/commutes where you get some winter rain/sleet/snow.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Slagter

by Slagter

alanmclean wrote:Thanks but gore-tex, sealskin, neoprene, lobster claw, inners, outers, whatever, I have a bucket of them. All great for 60 mins then useless. Fortunately I am usually distracted from my cold fingers by my freezing feet. :D

I'm in Denmark, the weather here is about the same as in UK. And I totally agree with the above statement about all kinds of gloves. I have several different kinds as well. Nothing really works against continues rain in cold winter weather. Another pair of gloves in a bag when the first pair is soaked will keep you going a little longer. But thats it, if you want to ride 3-4 hours. There is only one thing to do - tough it out...

Sorry for the thread derail...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com