Veloflex Arenberg v Conti Comp - 25 mm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joec

by joec

Really!?

I would be willing to bring a fresh Conti tub and a wheel up to suffolk to se this demonstrated.

in my experience a new conti comp needs inflating for several days before you even stand a chance of getting it on a rim for stretching...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

+1 never got it done without prestretching a conti

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I sometimes forget to stretch. I am not saying it easy it isn't but it will go on without mess.you have to mount the tub on a rim to stretch anyway so it will go on.

joec

by joec

Sorry but I am seriously dubious, I appriciate you get better at this eith time but even so...

I can mount vittorias fine without prestretching, but contis... Ive seriously taken the skin of my hands trying to get them on, and I'm not exacltly a weakling.

as Ive said I have found its needed to pre inflate the conti's for several days to somthing like 50psi+, even then its a hard job getting them on a rim for stretching.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'll vouch for the difficulty in mounting Conti tubulars. It's the primary reason I don't use them anymore. Versus any of the Veloflex which will go on very firmly but without any major damage to fingers and skin. I can mount Contis just fine, but it's certainly a task I don't look forward to in any way. And if you have to get them off and mount a spare conti on the road, well that just spoils any fun you might have been having till then. And the thing is, I haven't found the Veloflex any more prone to punctures than Conti so I have no reason to use anything other than Veloflex. Vittorias on the other hand just seem to cut at the slightest sideways look, at least in my experience.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Almost all of my Veloflex punctures haven't happened in a classical way (a sharp object penetrating), but cut / damaged sidewalls from small road debris instead, which cause the tubular to leak slowly.
Yesterday suffered another one - when I finally noticed my back wheel "getting sloppy", I was already on the farthest point from home in my ride :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

mrgray

by mrgray

@mrlobber do you use some sealant at that point? if so which one? i'd imagine a slow leak like that would be a real candidate for a sealant fix.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Yes. Tufo Extreme. Usually works.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Don't be dubious. I carry two conti sprinter tubs as spares when I ride my trek. I have had to change tubs when I am out and it does not take long to mount one. There is nothing to be worried about.

joec

by joec

conti sprinters are one thing, fitting wise.. conti competitions are a different ball game LOL.