crashed carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cccycle

by cccycle

What is your opinion on how safe a crashed carbon bike is to ride? In particular its a HM 066SL frame, there are no cracks that I can see. The frame is unpainted with matt clear coat so its hard to see if there is a ripple to paint from stresses to the carbon.

Any advice?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

There are three ways to detect cracks in a CFRP structure:

1- connect the frame to a DC and scan it with thermograph equipment. Pretty reliable. Cracks and discontinuities reveal as heat sources as the resistance increases in those areas.

2- X-Ray . 100% reliable but expensive.

3- mechanical test: loading the frame, looking for weak areas that don't behave as expected and tapping it with a small hammer in search of abnormal absorption of vibration. Less reliable and very dependent on the skills and experience I the operator.

Use common sense. You know better than anyone how hard was the crash and how hard the bike is going to be ridden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cccycle

by cccycle

the bike gets ridden hard for about 200-250 miles a week, a lot of climbing and descending. So I don't want to take any chances at 40mph down hill

mattr

by mattr

You didn't read the other thread then.
Take it to a shop.
They'll write it off, value it, you can then add it to your claim.
Unless they have a carbon expert to hand (very unlikely), in which case they can give you chapter and verse.

Marin

by Marin

I don't think invisible damage is very common in carbon parts.