need help finding a good saddle for me!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I am looking for a saddle that will be comfortable in agressive positions (low on the drops or low on the hoods with the arm forming a 90* angle).Thus far I have used a merida saddle that came with my first bike,a 2014 scultura 900, that gives me burns at my butt cheeks after 4-5 hours on the saddle, and a bottecchia saddle that came with my Tourmalet,which is literally a pain in the ass after 2-3 hours.I'll try and post some pics of them and anything else that might be of help later.I have also tried an smp saddle but felt a lot of pressure on my genitalia :? ....
Many have suggested fizik saddles,which seem quite good,so what saddles should I be looking at (type of saddle,brand,size,everything!!!) ?
Thank you all in advance and please ask if you need any more information :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

well, after reading the first sentence I immediately thought 'Specialized Power'.

but..all butts are different, so what might work for me might not work for you.
But I could be wrong

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Had it in mind,will definitely check now.Thank you! :)

AJS914

by AJS914

I think you need to hone in on a certain shape and then just try lots of saddles. I've always liked the classic Turbo shape and am using Prologo Scratch saddles now.

I did have a revelation the other day. I got a new pair of Pearl Izumi Elite LTD bibs and my saddle comfort has increased 5 fold. I figure that with my many pairs of old bibs, the chamois is very flattened and compressed and thus not contributing as much to comfort as it could.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

All my saddles so far are of the classic shape so it seems that it is not my shape of choise...I wish I had the money to try many and different saddles but that is not an option :( and that is why I ask for your help,to narrow it down as much as possible! :)

AJS914

by AJS914

Unfortunately, only your butt is going to tell you the answer. Are you in a bike club or do any group rides. Sometimes a quick ride around the parking lot on a friends bike can introduce you to a new saddle you may like. Demos at bike stores can help.

For me the process has been a lot of trial and error over the last 20 years. I was riding a Selle Italia saddle that I didn't like that much. It would take 10 rides for my butt to toughen up to it. Any time off the bike meant a painful re-entry to training.

With Prologo saddles in I'm heaven for the first time. Even among the Prologo saddles I've tried, the variation in comfort is wide. I started with a Scratch Pro ti because it had that classic turbo shape. It was an improvement but it was hard. Then I got a Scratch Pro nack (carbon rails) and more the rails are different. It's so cushy in comparison. I'm in love!

Currently, I'm trying a Scratch 2 on one bike. It's a little firmer but I still really like it and with my new Pearl bibs it feels great.

My final tip is that you can find used saddles on ebay for cheap. Buy one, try it, and if it doesn't work out sell it. You may lose a little in the process but it's pennies compared to buying a new saddle and then selling it later as used for 50% of your cost.

jgilesband

by jgilesband

Hey seaneT1 you are lucky enough to be the recipient of my first post on this forum. As others have stated, everyone is different. I am a BIG guy at 6'4" / 200lb (193cm / 91kilo for my international friends) and have always loved the Specialized Toupe 143mm on my road bike (on rides of and up to 100mi / 160km). I have recently been riding the Fizik Arione and do not care for it. I get the pesky numbness. Having said that I recently had a conversation with a gent at my LBS. He swears by the Toupe but recently switched to the Power on his road bike. He says it is even better especially when down in the drops. That will likely be my next saddle

velomane

by velomane

To echo what others are saying, you'll have to try saddles until you find what works for you. The previous poster doesn't care for the Arione...well, I've got three bikes, and they all sport an Arione.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Demos at the local bike dealer definitely help.

Dealers commonly have tryouts.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

seaneT1

by seaneT1

unfortunatelly, no demos in my LBS...will try on my local club!

AJS914

by AJS914

seaneT1 wrote:unfortunatelly, no demos in my LBS...will try on my local club!

They have bikes with saddles. Do a few test rides to see if something feels right.

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

Fizik kurve. They do 3 different shapes. Comfiest saddle i have ever tried

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Kraaf

by Kraaf

For issues with an aggressive position, I'd suggest looking at less traditional saddles, like the Specialized Sitero, the Bontrager Hilo. These are not as wide on the nose like the ISM Adamo (Breakaway, Attack), but those could be good for you as well.
I have all of the above saddles, by the way. I don't think I'll ever ride a 'traditional' saddle again, on any bike.
I love you guys. Seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n3bur

by n3bur

@Kraaf Could you elaborate a bit on those saddles please? Besides the width the same feel as an ISM?
@seaneT1 I guess you are looking for a saddle with a decent cut out. At the moment I'm testing the Selle Italia Superflow (145mm), which has the largest cutout I came across so far. If that doesn't work you could start looking at ISM or triathlon-type saddles.