Time RXS Ti to DA 9000 - worth the 60g weight penalty?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I have tried all sorts of lightweight pedals but keep coming back to Dura Ace pedals for durability and reliability. No squeaking, clicking, rocking, broken carbon pieces falling off. Pedals are not a place I have found to reliably save weight.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Get them taken care of - for free - by Time. When they return to you it'll be like almost having new pedals.

You will miss the multi-lateral float when you switch to the DA... plus it's 60g, which is considerable.

Thanks for all the replies. My pedals are four or five years old so it seems unlikely that TIME would 'warranty' the bearings or internals for free, assuming they still even have those old parts. I guess it can't hurt to ask Time Sports USA :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

RedRacer wrote:
Get them taken care of - for free - by Time. When they return to you it'll be like almost having new pedals.

You will miss the multi-lateral float when you switch to the DA... plus it's 60g, which is considerable.

Thanks for all the replies. My pedals are four or five years old so it seems unlikely that TIME would 'warranty' the bearings or internals for free, assuming they still even have those old parts. I guess it can't hurt to ask Time Sports USA :noidea:

Give them a call, they will cover them. It's a lifetime coverage on the bearings.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

PJCM

by PJCM

I appreciate the OP posed a specific question between two options but as a former RXS user I finally settled on Keywin Titanium after trying iClic, Look and Shimano.

The float on Keywins pivots around the axle, not the front of the cleat, which feels familiar with the Time design. The float resistance is also tunable. Also a solid platform and light.

Just something to consider if the "feel" of the float is part of the appeal of your Times.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have both DAs and Xpresso 15s.

DAs feel solid, and spin silk smooth for years. I never think if DAs are going to break.

Xpressos with ceramic bearings are as smooth (if not better) as DAs. They are light. Their float helps my old knees. And they are unbelievably easy to click and unclick. They have a few disadvantages as well; they are light (to the point of thinking "how reliable can this be?") and price.

At the end, have both if you have enough bikes :-)

PS (and please no flames)
Being a WW, I think pedals are absolutely a place to save weight :-) Well, some of the old timers like me think that way anyways. Only a few years ago, we used to show each other how well we aligned the holes we drill to save weight. Just saying ...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Juanmoretime, instead of returning the pedal to Time USA for repair, you should crash on the other side. Think of the weight savings.

You could even offer this as a service to your fellow Weight Weenies. Maybe $300 to "tune" one pedal, and $550 for a pair.

eric

by eric

While the DA pedals are good (and reliable), if I had pedals I was otherwise happy with that had bad bearings, I'd replace the bearings.

I had no problem finding replacement bearings and the special bushings for my 10 year old Time ATAC mtb pedals. If Time will do the service, that's even better.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

coloclimber wrote:I have tried all sorts of lightweight pedals but keep coming back to Dura Ace pedals for durability and reliability. No squeaking, clicking, rocking, broken carbon pieces falling off. Pedals are not a place I have found to reliably save weight.

Agree on all points except the fact the float on the Shimano pedals is awful...I went to Dura-Ace after years of Time's and ended up selling them and going back to Time Xpresso...

eric01

by eric01

Have been through RXS, Speedplays, Look Blades and finally settled on Shimano Dura Ace. In fact just bought another pair for second bike.

For me, Dura Ace "just works". No fiddling, no maintenance.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium