Time RXS Ti to DA 9000 - worth the 60g weight penalty?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

As the title says… I have been riding Time RXS Ti Ulteam pedals (~185g) for the past five years. They have worked well for me but are starting to develop some lateral play in the bearings and I gather the RXS doesn't have a particularly wide or stable platform for the cleat. The Dura Ace 9000 is the other pedal that has caught my eye - well-built, nice bearings, good cleats with 3deg of float and Shimano reliability…..but this is the WW forum and the DA pedals are quite a lot heavier. Are they enough of an improvement to overlook the relatively large weight penalty?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you will not notice the difference riding, nor will you notice it lifting the bike. i'd say go for it.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

IMO...

Pedals and wheel-skewers are the 2 places DuraAce is well worth the extra weight for the quality of the product.

I switched from older Time Equipe Ti (with metal cleats, still the best, but heaviest, pedal/cleat combo ever made), to newer Time iClics. Within about 2 months I abandoned them, Time has really lost the plot with their modern pedal designs, and had switched to DuraAce pedals. Best swap I ever made.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

RedRacer wrote:As the title says… I have been riding Time RXS Ti Ulteam pedals (~185g) for the past five years. They have worked well for me but are starting to develop some lateral play in the bearings and I gather the RXS doesn't have a particularly wide or stable platform for the cleat. The Dura Ace 9000 is the other pedal that has caught my eye - well-built, nice bearings, good cleats with 3deg of float and Shimano reliability…..but this is the WW forum and the DA pedals are quite a lot heavier. Are they enough of an improvement to overlook the relatively large weight penalty?

Get them taken care of - for free - by Time. When they return to you it'll be like almost having new pedals.
You will miss the multi-lateral float when you switch to the DA... plus it's 60g, which is considerable.

It is not worth the 60g weight penalty. Whoever is stating "these places are ok to gain weight" may be on the wrong website.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I love my DA, however he is totally right

Whoever is stating "these places are ok to gain weight" may be on the wrong website.

Shimano Da 9000 work great and another point is their cleats seem to wear longer than some others. I can get 2x the life over my Wing mans look set up
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

the Time RXS Cleats last a long, long, long time as well.
And they're 'walkable' compared to other systems.

DA's are good. They are quid-pro-quo standards.
The Time RXS Ti is a rare, rare gem. They're still highly sought after even when Time hasn't produced them for years. Time will take care of your bearing issues for free and with a fairly quick expediency.

Will you notice the weight change while riding? It depends on how sensitive you are.
Will it add weight to your set up? Definitely, this is not even a debate, it's a matter of actual mass numbers.

So here you have an option:
Spend $$$ to gain weight
Or keep the low weight (still one of the lightest platform systems!) and get it covered for FREE.

...so....

mimason

by mimason

Not sure I understand why this is the wrong forum for this topic. It seems that the majority of threads and posts in the forum are NOT weight related so any discussion involving weight advantages vs disadvantages should be encouraged. Otherwise, this topic would also eliminate the Time pedals from being an option in favor of something lighter yet.

On topic regarding DA pedals are among the best pedal options out there considering performance, durability, safety and function. They are used more than any other pedal across various platforms. SRAM and even Campy riders use Shimano pedals in high numbers. They are not for everyone but they offer a lot to many. Like shoes and bibs one size does not fit all so you really need to try them to see if they work for you. IF you have hot spots when you ride or foot problems Shimano 105/ULT/DA has the best platform out there but does not offer the float of some other brands. Consider LOOK as well to determine what is best for you then get the lightest cleat/pedal combo. Another plus for Shimano is their failure rates are extremely low. good luck

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Is there a 60 gm penalty when you include cleats? Last time I looked, time cleats were heavier than shimano cleats.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mimason wrote:SRAM and even Campy riders use Shimano pedals in high numbers.

So what? What does a choice of drivetrain have to do with a choice of pedal? Seriously?

That's like saying "Porsche and even Audi drivers will use Shell brand petrol in high numbers" - well, yeah, but so what?
Last edited by prendrefeu on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

WeightySteve wrote:IMO...
I switched from older Time Equipe Ti (with metal cleats, still the best, but heaviest, pedal/cleat combo ever made), to newer Time iClics. Within about 2 months I abandoned them, Time has really lost the plot with their modern pedal designs...

I just switched last year from Time Equipe pedals to Time Xpresso. I'm super happy to be on a modern pedals system and still have the Time style float. I think Time really improved things over the previous iClic pedals. Between modern shoes and pedals I lost around 3/8" of stack height.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

AJS914 wrote:
WeightySteve wrote:IMO...
I switched from older Time Equipe Ti (with metal cleats, still the best, but heaviest, pedal/cleat combo ever made), to newer Time iClics. Within about 2 months I abandoned them, Time has really lost the plot with their modern pedal designs...

I just switched last year from Time Equipe pedals to Time Xpresso. I'm super happy to be on a modern pedals system and still have the Time style float. I think Time really improved things over the previous iClic pedals. Between modern shoes and pedals I lost around 3/8" of stack height.

(Used to do standing start track-sprints on the Equipes with never a doubt in my mind, which is why I considered them the best. Yes I know I should have been strapped in too, but wasn't that pro. It was the metal cleats that gave you confidence. Even on DA-pedals with plastic cleats I would be wary of a full static sprint launch. But "luckily" I dont do that sort of thing anymore!).

Anyway, could be the Xpresso's are a dramatic improvement over the iClic (they sure needed to be). But once I hit DA pedals, it's never crossed my mind to want to try an alternative. I've total confidence in 100% effort sprints, which was the main reason (there were a few) I abandoned iClic. Couple of scary moments in RRs when I felt I was about to unclick (didnt actually, but just felt like it), and I dropped them like a stone.

And...

Whoever is stating "these places are ok to gain weight" may be on the wrong website.

Well, I ride Lightweights, but I use DA QR skewers. I don't feel like I'm on the wrong website :)

mimason

by mimason

prendrefeu wrote:
mimason wrote:SRAM and even Campy riders use Shimano pedals in high numbers.

So what? What does a choice of drivetrain have to do with a choice of pedal? Seriously?

That's like saying "Porsche and even Audi drivers will use Shell brand petrol in high numbers" - well, yeah, but so what?

Not sure why that was your only takeaway or if you are being snarky but whatever.

The real reason was to indicate that despite, for example, Campy riders sneering at mixed groups( like DA with campy wheels), Shimano pedals are so good that they transcend this.

Regarding Porsche and Audi - well friend did you know that VW owns them both? and by this same logic then speedplay and Shimano are pretty much the same because petrol is pretty much considered a homogeneous product. :noidea:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mimason wrote:Not sure why that was your only takeaway or if you are being snarky but whatever.

The real reason was to indicate that despite, for example, Campy riders sneering at mixed groups( like DA with campy wheels), Shimano pedals are so good that they transcend this.

That's still a facile argument in the modern era - and when neither Campagnolo* nor SRAM make pedal systems, are you saying that a user of a group is somehow being "bold" by choosing a brand of pedal that is not their groupset?

And seriously, it's 2015, who with a functioning brain on their head is really snobby over one group or another?

*they still list a clip-in-platform pedal under accessories, but it is not indexed on their main site which indicates the low priority on the product and/or lack of production/support.

mimason

by mimason

prendrefeu wrote:
mimason wrote:Not sure why that was your only takeaway or if you are being snarky but whatever.

And seriously, it's 2015, who with a functioning brain on their head is really snobby over one group or another?

^ I could not agree more but that is not what I read in this forum. We digress. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm sure there are a few campy riders that want to ride an all Italian bike or at minimum an all European bike if Italian pedals aren't available. But, they are a very very small percentage.

I ride Campy, always have and always will. I've always liked the Campy aesthetic over Shimano. It's not snobbery. I respect what Shimano has done and I ride their mountain bike products. And there were some dark times like the Campy Syncro index shifting which sucked. They bounced back though with Ergopower.

If someone gave me a Di2 bike though I'd ride it and enjoy it.