11-36 on a road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Hi guys, this is my first post. I recently upgraded my casual road bike to a 1x10. Ive got a 44t narrow wide up front and a 11-36 out back. I am currently using a long cage xt rear deraileur which i had left over from the previous build. Im finding however that it isnt strong enough to hold the chain on over bumpier terrain. I have put in the high tension position but to no avail. I was looking at options for using a short cage deraileur and still being able to have the 36t.

I've come up with 3 options:
-Bodge a short cage onto my current deraileur
-Use something like a Goatlink to allow me to use a short/medium road derailleur
-And this one is a bit of a stretch but use an old Saint m800 9spd deraileur but im unsure whether this has the same pull ratios as road shifters?
Anyone got any advice on these options or other things to look into. This is ideally going to be done on a very tight budget

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Something's wrong if you drop a chain with narrow/wide chainring.

Which chainring is it?

Is your chain too long?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

BTW: does the XT derailleur Work with road shifters?

What shifters do you use?

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Lots off the cycle paths turn into bumpy bridleway. It's only dropped 2 or 3 times but none is what I'm aiming for. I'm using a garbaruk nw ring, it's also ovalised which exacerbates the problem. My chain is slightly too long but not so much as to cause problems. I'm using 105 10spd shifter and a 9spd xt rear derailleur.

Marin

by Marin

There are several hacks to make clutch derailleurs work with 9sp.

The cleanest option is probably the 3rd one shown here (German): http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2012/11/14/ ... tenglueck/

This search will turn up lots more: https://www.google.at/webhp?sourceid=ch ... 09%20speed

Marin

by Marin

I'd still shorten the chain 1st BTW.

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Marin wrote:I'd still shorten the chain 1st BTW.

+1

commendatore

by commendatore

+2. if your chain is too long, it is the problem.

grover

by grover

I disagree.

I've used NW ring with normal derailleur, chain drops no matter the chain length (perfect or a touch long) on repetive bumpy terrain.
I've used NW ring with clutched derailleur, chain retention is optimal no matter the chain length (perfect or a touch long). I have my CX bike setup perfect chain length for 42 tooth 11-36 cassette. If I swap to 40 tooth or 11-32 it's a touch long and I don't experience extra chain drops.

I've also used a normal chainring with clutched derailleur. Chain retention is better than NW ring with normal derailleur. The clutched derailleur is the key.

To my knowledge there are no clutched rear derailleurs compatible with shimano 10 speed road shifters. Sorry! Buy some Sram rival or apex 10 speed levers and an x.7 or x.9 type 2 ten speed rear derailleur in short cage. That works with 11-36 and retention is perfect.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

I will shorten my chain, its worth a shot but it'll only be a couple of links. The issue is my derailleur has far too much capacity for a 1x10, a short cage road derailleur has enough.

Thanks Marin for the links, it never occured to me to alter the anchor point on a 10spd derailleur to give it the correct movement. I might have a look into that but I'm not sure I want to buy a new derailleur only to mess around with it and potentially ruin it.

I thought about going Sram but 1-I'm not double taps biggest fan and 2-It would be quite expensive, replacing the shifter derailleur and probably cassette

Jengaback

by Jengaback

double post

joosttx

by joosttx

I ride a sram 1190 11x36 cassette with a 6800 ultegra gs rear derailuer on my gravel bike. It shifts very nice and I have had no issues.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

joosttx wrote:I ride a sram 1190 11x36 cassette with a 6800 ultegra gs rear derailuer on my gravel bike. It shifts very nice and I have had no issues.

That is the 6800 medium cage right? It handles a 36? Any hacks for that?

Do you run a single chainring or a double with this setup?

Marin

by Marin

My medium 6800 also took a 36 cog.

It also depends on how long your derailleur tab is though, they vary in length.

sslikesnake

by sslikesnake

Old thread bump.
Also, check out Gevenalle.
They make Shimano road-compatible 10 and 11-speed rear derailleurs for 1x use. They're not clutch derailleurs (my LBS said 10 & 11 speed Shimano road & MTB shifters and derailleurs are incompatible), but they have worked well on lots of bumpy gravel with my 1x11 setup with a narrow wide front ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com