2016 Specialized S-Works 6 shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shogunade

by Shogunade

Anyone try these vs the Lake 402?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Advice on the S-Works 6 shoes needed.

I bought a pair after trying all sizes possible. Size 42.5 standard width.
The lenght is fine, but the toebox is too roomy for my feet volume.

Wich footbed would be thicker than the original BG ones, thus "shrinking" the toe box volume ?

Thanks for the tips :beerchug:

Louis :)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Keep in mind that grey insoles that come with shoes are super light and thin in contrast to standard insole that comes with PRO shoes. I have BG green models for high arch and they are thicker from toe box to heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah, I think you're right. :thumbup:

I bought Red BG footbeds in my previous Bont A1's instead of the paper thin original ones a few years back. I remeber they were 1-2 mm thicker than the black/grey ones.

Might go to the Speci store to check for a pair of Red footbeds instead of the original ones.

Louis :)

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I wear size 47 in Shimano and Bontrager and really wanted a pair of these shoes.

The S-Works 6 in 47/standard is too narrow in the toe box for me. The Wide version is a fraction wider than my Shimano R-320 but narrower than my Bontrager XXX. I don't consider my feet to be especially wide but the XXX is by far the best fit for me.

I was also disappointed that the S-Works had one-way Boas with no pop-up quick release.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Interesting...I tried on Shimano R320 and found them ultra wide.

I encourage everyone to try on sub-6. Laces?! Am I nuts?! That was my first impression. Laces are flat, unlike your typical round laces found on athletic shoes. One you lace them, they stay put. Also, there's a stretchable band where you tuck in your laces. In other word, there's no way the laces would untie. Did I mention that sub-6 are $80 cheaper, ~60 grams lighter (if I'm not mistaken) and far reliable over BOA.

My pair of 42.5 were 395 grams!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mpulsiv on Wed May 11, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Having happily used Sworks 5 shoes for over 2 years, I got the new 6's.

Ooops!

Total loss of comfort. The new shoes are very stiff and very different from the 5's.

The sides are 15mm higher than the 5's. 15mm is huge - this means the (stiff) sides hit your ankle bone and dig into it for the whole ride.

I know they will soften over time and I've put less than 500km on them, but I've gone back to the 5's for important races for the time being.

If anyone wants a pair of 6's in black for 300 Euros let me know! (size 41).

Full review here;

http://www.cyclespeedtours.com/s-works- ... 16-review/

zappafile123

by zappafile123

cyclespeed wrote:Total loss of comfort. The new shoes are very stiff and very different from the 5's.

The sides are 15mm higher than the 5's. 15mm is huge - this means the (stiff) sides hit your ankle bone and dig into it for the whole ride.

I know they will soften over time and I've put less than 500km on them, but I've gone back to the 5's for important races for the time being.

Pretty sure the sole on the sworks 6 is identical to the sworks 5, so they arent stiffer.

I sold heaps of these shoes whilst working at a specialized retailer and I encountered only one person who had the issue with sides hitting their ankle.

Your comments about comfort are also not applicable to everyone/most who try them on. I'll give it to you that the fit is rather different to the sw5's and that the sub6's are more comfortable than the 6's.

Always try before you buy.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

zappafile123 wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:Total loss of comfort. The new shoes are very stiff and very different from the 5's.

Pretty sure the sole on the sworks 6 is identical to the sworks 5, so they arent stiffer.

I sold heaps of these shoes whilst working at a specialized retailer and I encountered only one person who had the issue with sides hitting their ankle.

Your comments about comfort are also not applicable to everyone/most who try them on. I'll give it to you that the fit is rather different to the sw5's and that the sub6's are more comfortable than the 6's.

I don't know about the sole (although it feels extremely stiff), but the sides and heel are definitely stiffer than the 5. This must translate to lower comfort - (how can it not?).

I can only hope that they break in a bit more.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

cyclespeed wrote:I don't know about the sole (although it feels extremely stiff), but the sides and heel are definitely stiffer than the 5. This must translate to lower comfort - (how can it not?).

The middle portion of the upper is a non-stretch material. its not designed to give. The heal-cup does soften up a fair bit after a couple of months.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Shogunade wrote:Anyone try these vs the Lake 402?

- The lakes a ultra-plush. The Kangaroo uppers feel really soft on your feet so they end up feeling like moccasins in comparison. That being said the sub6s are very comfortable for me.
- The Sub6's will feel significantly lighter on your feet and IMO thats a performance upgrade in itself. The Lakes aint light.
- The foot fatigue reducing plate (forgot what its called) in the Lakes is downright weird. You can feel it flex under load. To me this creates a disconnected feeling with the pedals. The SW's feel like a normal stiff racing shoe - stiff and direct. The outer sole of the lakes is still stiff.
- the SW boas are effective for only a short period of time. depending on how much you ride, you could wear them out and need to replace them within a year. I preferred the pop style Boa on the lakes and wonder if they are a little more robust.
- SW Heal retention is far superior.
- the carbon moulding is a PIA and doesnt work very well. It doenst work that well in the sense that only part of the sole is moldable and has limited flexibility. the plate around the arch is not moldable - if you have flat feet this may cause you problems as it did me.
- the sub6 lace ups allow for a more even distribution of pressure across the tops of your feet.

Verdict: SW lighter, stiffer, more secure fit, suitable for flat-footed individuals, and better pressure distribution with the laces.

kode54

by kode54

cyclespeed wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:

I don't know about the sole (although it feels extremely stiff), but the sides and heel are definitely stiffer than the 5. This must translate to lower comfort - (how can it not?).

i had that initial issue where the sides hit the ankle bone. i thought maybe mine stuck out more than others...but eventually, that feeling went away. have about 1,000miles on them with no issues and i like them better than the 5. i still have the 5 and wear them on wet days...but i now favor the 6 more.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Why did you do that?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

cyclespeed wrote:Why did you do that?!

because i have a tall foot (i dunno maybe) and my anterior tibial tendon (or whatever) kept making my tongue slide down and bunch up. So now....tongue stays up and comfy.

:D